IGNORED

Motorman (MMT) Tires in CA- Online Purchase- Avoid!

2015 Blue RT

On October 27, 2023 I bought a set of tires for my RT from MMT online. This is a business in Los Angeles that does local work and sells online, both from their site (where I purchased) and other retailers such as Walmart. They claim to be a rider-owned and operated business. The site had a package deal with the exact sizes needed, and they were advertised as being "W" rated (highlighted in yellow in the below pic):

Weblisting.thumb.jpg.843a64af2dfa64f40b1171d57ad0cc7d.jpg

The site advertises fast shipping and fresh (2023) tires. The tires arrived on November 6 and 7, about a week after I ordered which was good considering the distance. What I received was a "58P" front and "75P" rear tire:

MotormanFront58P.thumb.jpg.e159b3cd05b13d2ca07f099b0c61b03b.jpg

MotormanRear75P.thumb.jpg.76b24b1d85fdbbff43a4daba94e743bf.jpg

Both were dated in 2023. Since I didn't know what a "P" speed rating was, I looked it up. Turns out it's a far lower rating of only 93 MPH, while "W" is good to 168 MPH. 

Prior to the purchase, I did look up reviews, the business had only 1 bad review on Walmart, and it was flaky, so I ordered them. I had timed it so they'd arrive by my day off and I could swap out the old Metzler front tire. I did post a business review on Google that accurately reflected the transaction. Mine was the only under 5 star review there, and apparently it struck a nerve (see below).

The reason I'm posting this review here is due to the poor attitude and unprofessional service of the business.

First, advertising one thing and shipping an inferior product is unprofessional- and likely illegal (bait and switch).

Second, the return process (still ongoing as I write this almost a month after buying the tires) has also been unprofessional. My emails to the business went unanswered for a business day, so I called. The voice message said the business wasn't taking calls so text or email. I sent a text and got a return label the same day. I rewrapped them and taped them together (they came individually) at the request of the business. The USPS picked them up the next business day, which was November 13. I followed the tracking number and saw they were delivered November 20. It's a holiday week, so I waited another day past the holiday. When I sent a text inquiry on November 24 about the refund due to the tires being delivered 4 days ago, here's what I got:

Screenshot_20231124-1.thumb.png.595948d61a79d1caa29e5525f892164f.png

Screenshot_20231124-2.thumb.png.4771fc29f3f75f6e1733d80c6e3dc699.png

Screenshot_20231124-3.thumb.png.e602b72ecffc13e6a957e2ca0e64780d.png

Screenshot_20231124-4.thumb.png.8484ec81507be9e7d7f0764b7a47b88f.png

The business on Google is "MMT® Motorcycle Tires - Sales and Installation", so they sell motorcycle tires. Calling someone a name as a businessperson is not only unprofessional, it is juvenile, as I observed in my reply. I do find it entertaining though when someone calls you a dumbass and uses poor grammar to do so. Who's the dumbass now, eh? :)

I'm sharing this review so as to help another avoid the problems I ran into. I ended up finding a pair of Kenda KM1 tires at Motosport.com. The price after a first repsonder discount was only $28 more than MMT. The Kendas were indeed W speed rated, and radials to boot.

• Thinking 1

Google maps street view is your friend. The "Business" is a crappy apt. building in the 'hood. Gang graffiti on the walls etc... This is no local tire shop.

"Too good to be true" seems to apply. 

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

When you contacted them, did they offer to make it right by sending W rated tires?

LOL. When I was finally able to contact them, the "customer service" person answering the text didn't know what a W speed rating was.

At that point, I wouldn't have wanted what they were selling. What amazes me here is that they have supposedly sold a number of these tires, and my logical brain tells me that either:

1. There was a failed run of tires that ended up being stamped "P" (all the prior sales were "W") two of which got unloaded to me across the country, or

2. It's an outright scam. The short age of most of the reviews tends to support this, although some do have pictures. It appears from the reviews the business mostly does tire changes.

#1 is less plausible since it would involve both front and rear tires- I could understand this if say the front was "P" and the rear "W".

I have since filed complaints with the FTC (worthless) and the CA Attorney General, as the transaction here in fact violated state law- their false advertising statute. 

9M7, I did that of course after the dollars were out of the wallet. I usually check addresses for too good to be true offers, but in this case the vendor was selling on other platforms such as Walmart, so I wasn't thorough enough. There was actually a listing for that address on apartments.com last year. When the USPS re-delivered the tires to them on a Monday at 11:01 AM, it said delivered front door/porch. If it were truly a business someone should have been there to receive them.

• 3 weeks later...

Blue RT,

Thanks for posting this. It’s situations like this, that remind me why I have been trying to deal directly, with brick and Mortor cycle shops. Yes, a little more expensive, but in the long run, helps keep a local business healthy.

• Like 3

Same, I buy mine from my local independent shop. He makes a few bucks, I don't pay much more than if I really searched around for the best internet deal, and it keeps him in business as I need him often. He will mount tires that people bring to him. He charges an extra $10 to do it, and obviously no warranty. He is one of the very few shops that will mount somebody else's tire.

• Plus 1 1
8 hours ago, Twisties said:

Did you ever get your money back?

Only by doing  a charge back via my credit card. Fortunately, I had excellent documentation of the fraud involved. 

7 hours ago, SDCRJohn said:

Blue RT,

Thanks for posting this. It’s situations like this, that remind me why I have been trying to deal directly, with brick and Mortor cycle shops. Yes, a little more expensive, but in the long run, helps keep a local business healthy.

I would agree, but I'm in a rural area. The bike shop that was in a town about 30 miles away closed AFAIK. I think there is still a Harley dealer there, but I'm concerned this may happen if I go there:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
2015 Blue RT

Update, I filed a complaint with the CA Attorney General for fraud, who did nothing other than pass along my complaint. In their response, the business said the "P" on the tire meant it was pneumatic!  This would really be funny if he were not scamming people- a "P" prior to the tire size means it's a Passenger car tire, which needless to say won't fit a normal motorcycle.

I see according to his phone listing he has changed the business name to "West LA Motorcycles". Truly a snake oil salesman.