IGNORED

2002 1150RT ABS removal

Mr Clifton

Happy Thanksgiving forum. I am new to here. I just purchased a 2002 1150RT. I am removing the ABS. The rear brake line does not bolt up. Does someone know the correct brake line that will allow me to bolt directly from the master cylinder to the caliper?  Thanks!  

3 hours ago, Mr Clifton said:

Happy Thanksgiving forum. I am new to here. I just purchased a 2002 1150RT. I am removing the ABS. The rear brake line does not bolt up. Does someone know the correct brake line that will allow me to bolt directly from the master cylinder to the caliper?  Thanks!  

The one you want is one for a non-ABS R1150R. OEM are expensive, aftermarket would be your best place to get one. Galfer USA, Goodridge etc......:thumbsup:

I know someone posted up a work-around for that line.......you'll get more responses after the holiday, Happy Thanksgiving and Welcome!

I removed the ABS from my 2003, but before that I replaced all the OEM rubber hoses with Galfer. The Galfer rear caliper line is long enough to reach the master cylinder.

18 hours ago, Mr Clifton said:

Afternoon Mr Clifton

I usually just make up a new (short) steel line from the rear master cylinder to the existing rubber brake hose. (I have the proper metric flaring tools).

Lacking the proper flaring tools you can usually buy a short line with the proper end flairs & fittings from a local auto parts store. 

Or you can probably just have a local brake-shop shorten the (removed) factory steel line that ran between the rear master cylinder & ABS unit.  

I do the same as DR, and use a bubble flare tool and some brake line. total cost was around $30 for the tool from memory, and about $20 for more brake line than i can ever use (All Australian Dollar values). 

Tool i used: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154495141232

Brake line i used: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/325158527422

Attached below are pictures of the same job i did recently for my 2005 hexhead GS. I re-used the end fittings that came off the steel ABS lines. New fittings are easy to get if needed. I did the same thing for the R1100RT rear, but don't have pics handy. 

cheers

PXL_20230223_053044162.jpg

PXL_20230223_023937745.jpg

PXL_20230223_023926936.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the rear line i did for the hexhead GS. It's the same basically for the R1100RT. I re-used the steel line i removed, because one side is a special fitting type. I used a very large socket as a mandrel to bend the line

PXL_20230223_061836476.jpg

On 11/24/2023 at 7:05 PM, plepper said:

Hi dirtrider do you happen to have a pic of the steel line that you make up?

Morning  plepper

Unfortunately I don't have a picture as I usually don't use my phone or camera when messing with brake fluid as brake fluid can ruin both.

I don't currently have a converted 1150 in my shop to take a picture of for you.

It is similar to the what Dmsantam shows above but the it is quite a bit different in it's routing loop between the master cylinder & the brake hose.

For the front on the 1150 you can just use the existing "Y" manifold flipped over with the locating tit removed (no additional tubbing loop needed). Just use one side of the "Y" as a union for the upper to lower brake hoses. 

Just a caution: Dmsantam's, brake lines above look like copper tubbing but they are NOT, they are Copper Nickel not copper. In the USA using regular copper tubbing for brake lines is illegal, not to mention dangerous, as standard copper tubbing won't take braking pressures.   

On 11/23/2023 at 4:40 PM, 9Mary7 said:

The one you want is one for a non-ABS R1150R. OEM are expensive, aftermarket would be your best place to get one. Galfer USA, Goodridge etc......:thumbsup:

I know someone posted up a work-around for that line.......you'll get more responses after the holiday, Happy Thanksgiving and Welcome!

Thank you for your help. I bought a rear Galfer line for a R1150R non-ABS (as 9Mary7 referred) and it fit perfectly. I only needed to rotate one end and that was that. The cost shipped was $50

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1