IGNORED

audio options for my 2005 RT

bavareze

Hello.

I'm looking inside the right side box (under the hinged cover) and I see the radio plug and a little fan.  Been thinking to install one of these marine MP3 players on the left side fairing, just above the 12V plug, and somehow wire the music player to the wiring harness on the right side, to play music through the 4 standard speakers.

Is there a wiring diagram for that music plug?  Does the wiring harness already contain cross over & cross under filters for the speakers?

What music player did others use?  Everything I find on amazon that's waterproof seems to be around 9cm in diameter, looks like I need something half that size.

Thanks!

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.PNG

6 hours ago, bavareze said:

Hello.

I'm looking inside the right side box (under the hinged cover) and I see the radio plug and a little fan.  Been thinking to install one of these marine MP3 players on the left side fairing, just above the 12V plug, and somehow wire the music player to the wiring harness on the right side, to play music through the 4 standard speakers.

Is there a wiring diagram for that music plug?  Does the wiring harness already contain cross over & cross under filters for the speakers?

What music player did others use?  Everything I find on amazon that's waterproof seems to be around 9cm in diameter, looks like I need something half that size.

Thanks!

Morning bavareze

The radio system in your 2005 1200RT is a complex multi part unit with separate units (it isn't just a plug-in stand alone radio). 

I do have a radio schematic but it is set up by BMW to be very difficult to copy & even so it is BMW proprietary & copyrighted so I just post it on line.  

There are no filters in the speaker wires as all that is done inside the radio itself & the speakers. 

Due to the difficulty in breaking the wiring diagram apart (in a usable form) & that I won't post BMW proprietary info on a public forum,  I need to know if you are just fishing or are serious about the radio install? 

If you are serious I will take the time to work with you but it will have to be by PM (Personal Message) so I will send you a PM & you can reply to me through that.   

On 11/23/2023 at 8:12 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning bavareze

The radio system in your 2005 1200RT is a complex multi part unit with separate units (it isn't just a plug-in stand alone radio). 

I do have a radio schematic but it is set up by BMW to be very difficult to copy & even so it is BMW proprietary & copyrighted so I just post it on line.  

There are no filters in the speaker wires as all that is done inside the radio itself & the speakers. 

Due to the difficulty in breaking the wiring diagram apart (in a usable form) & that I won't post BMW proprietary info on a public forum,  I need to know if you are just fishing or are serious about the radio install? 

If you are serious I will take the time to work with you but it will have to be by PM (Personal Message) so I will send you a PM & you can reply to me through that.   

responded to PM.  thanks.

So I need to get new filters and run the wires to the speakers.

14 minutes ago, bavareze said:

responded to PM.  thanks.

So I need to get new filters and run the wires to the speakers.

Afternoon bavareze

See your PM, I sent you some info. 

• 1 month later...
bavareze

What I did in the meantime is I removed the fairings.  The speakers on each side are wired together in parallel and have some filters included in order to separate signals for twitter and base.  So that means I can circumvent the bike wiring and simply feed amplified audio signal to both pairs of speakers.  Now I'm searching for a water resistant head unit that is 2inch or smaller so it can fit on the left side fairing, just above the accessory DC plug.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C21ZVR4R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I'm wondering what other head units have others been using and what are of the bike might be suitable for installation, so I can get inspiration for my project.

If you could post a picture of what you have as far as after market audio on RT bike, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

dirtrider
16 hours ago, bavareze said:

What I did in the meantime is I removed the fairings.  The speakers on each side are wired together in parallel and have some filters included in order to separate signals for twitter and base.  So that means I can circumvent the bike wiring and simply feed amplified audio signal to both pairs of speakers.  Now I'm searching for a water resistant head unit that is 2inch or smaller so it can fit on the left side fairing, just above the accessory DC plug.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C21ZVR4R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I'm wondering what other head units have others been using and what are of the bike might be suitable for installation, so I can get inspiration for my project.

If you could post a picture of what you have as far as after market audio on RT bike, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Morning bavareze

Last motorcycle that I put an aftermarket multipiece radio in was a Harley Electra glide back in the 1990's . I spent a lot of time making an alloy waterproof  under batwing housing, hidden antenna, remote control mount, custom wiring harness, etc. It worked great, sounded like a concert hall & was useless to me personally. I just don't like radios on motorcycles as no matter how good sound like crap at 90 mph. 

The only time I ever used that Harley radio was when washing the motorcycle & I don't wash them very often.

Since then I have removed a number of radios from BMW motorcycles as to me they add weight & take up valuable storage space.  

I guess I'm telling you above to possibly save you a lot of work if you are not 100% sure that you even want a radio on open-air motorcycle with a helmet on & ear plugs. 

If you still do then Google Marine multi-component or multi-piece radios or radio systems. Marine units are typically water resistant or some even water proof. 

Like this one_______   https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Vc5KAr4haGG/p_327MRB3/SSV-Works-MRB3.html?XVINQ=GZ0&XVVer=15MV&awcr=628436885936&awdv=c&awnw=g&awug=9017004&awkw=pla-539224491281&awmt=&awat=pla&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAy9msBhD0ARIsANbk0A9OomdR09IB2K0eNBDaIYRzBct63N4EKgvdBerSlJm3U_XSR4JKCKQaAs66EALw_wcB

Or, All weather radios____________          https://www.crutchfield.com/g_480450/All-weather-Radios-for-ATV-UTV.html?tp=83229  

Hosstage

Just do like the Harley guys and load that thing up with a marine head unit, amps, subwoofers, new hifi speakers in the fairing, 6x9s cut into the bag lids, and rock that b****h down the road for everyone to hear!

90 mph? You'll hear it just fine! So will everyone else within a mile, including those indoors.

• Haha 1