IGNORED

Cardo issue...

Twisties

So we have this pair of Cardos but it seems like Sharon can never use hers.  First, after her Arizona Al's gave up, she couldn't find any earphones that worked in her small ear canals.  But, whenever she has had the unit running, she can never get the music and intercom sound levels balanced.  With the intercom volume set to her liking, the music is too quiet, or if she turns the music up to where she can hear it, she gets blasted out if anything comes over the intercom. 

Using the dmc mesh connection, music is streaming from an app (Power Amp) on her phone (Android 13). 

I've gone into the app Cardo app and set her music to full volume and her intercom to the lowest setting, but no help there.  I've reset all the defaults on her music app.

I use the same setup, sort of.  Sometimes I'm running through a Garmin (phone streaming music to Garmin), sometimes, if she isn't using her Cardo and I don't need the gps, I'm directly hooked to the phone by cable.  The Garmin has it's own volume balance, in addition to the Cardo, but I never have any issues.

The Cardos are getting a little old, but still hold a charge through a day of riding.  But, I'm getting to the point where I think her's may have been faulty from the getgo..... she's always had this complaint with it.  

The other thing with the Cardos is that even with the mic sensitivity set to the lowest we get a lot of wind, engine, and other noise.  We've taken to muting the mics, a feature they finally added, but can't always get them unmuted when riding...  so another thing there.

Questions: 

These are 4 yo SmartTalks.  Are newer units better or are we likely to have similar issues with new?

Any ideas to diagnose or fix the volume balance issue Sharon has?  

2 hours ago, Twisties said:

These are 4 yo SmartTalks. 

We have smartpack units about same age or older with similar usage scenarios but no issues at all .

A possibility is there have been a bunch of software updates over the years ... have you kept current ? I think I remember one or more of them addressing volume issues ... but its been a while so I could be wrong.

58 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

I see a "Smart" and a "SmartPack" (they have a BUNCH of units) but I don't see a SmartTalk.  Could it be a "PackTalk"??

They are Smartpacks, sorry. 

Check the volume level on Sharon’s phone. You may want to turn it up all the way, then the Cardo doesn’t have to increase its signal as much. Maybe that will let her balance out the volume issues. 

• Like 1

I had the same issue with my Packtalk Bold. I had to try several corded earbuds before I got good music volume. From what I can tell the more expensive earphones have better sound quality but lower volume. Cheaper ones work fine for me since there istoo much wind noise to worry about good sound quality. I found a pack of 5 for 12 bucks at walmart and they work great.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, lather said:

I had the same issue with my Packtalk Bold. I had to try several corded earbuds before I got good music volume. From what I can tell the more expensive earphones have better sound quality but lower volume. Cheaper ones work fine for me since there istoo much wind noise to worry about good sound quality. I found a pack of 5 for 12 bucks at walmart and they work great.

I found the "custom"  (molded in YOUR ear) to be the best for both sound quality and blocking ALL other sound.  But, they ain't what you call cheap.

https://www.plugup.com/custom_earplug_speakers_single_dual_driver_p/es22-3.5-4.5.htm

• Like 1

I had a pair of those years ago, before I had the Cardo. They WERE great but I broke one in less that two weeks. I am hard on my gear. I break or lose stuff regularly. Have totaled s few bikes as well.