IGNORED

Multipoint Pairing on Sena 50S

profbodryak

Does anyone know how to set up multipoint pairing on a Sena 50S? Trying to see if I can have a simultaneous connection with TFT and my phone. 

• Smile 1
On 11/19/2023 at 3:46 PM, profbodryak said:

Does anyone know how to set up multipoint pairing on a Sena 50S? Trying to see if I can have a simultaneous connection with TFT and my phone. 

I know it can’t be done with the Cardo Edge. You can have the units paired to more than one device. BUT you can only receive audio from one Bluetooth device at a time. I have not tried it with my SENA 50S, but I would be surprised if it would work with it.

The best way to do it, is to connect the phone only to the TFT (BMW Bike) and connect the TFT to the headset. Make sure you delete all other pairings. Also make sure you delete your phones bluetooth connection to your SENA 50S.

• chrisolson featured this topic
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

I know it can’t be done with the Cardo Edge. You can have the units paired to more than one device. BUT you can only receive audio from one Bluetooth device at a time. I have not tried it with my SENA 50S, but I would be surprised if it would work with it.

The best way to do it, is to connect the phone only to the TFT (BMW Bike) and connect the TFT to the headset. Make sure you delete all other pairings. Also make sure you delete your phones bluetooth connection to your SENA 50S.

Thanks Bernie. Yes, that's how I mostly do it. However, if you have your ride interrupted by errands, this connection is lost when the bike is off. At that time your call is interrupted and you then need to cycle your Sena off and on to have it paired with your phone (doing this from the Bluetooth list of devices on the phone takes longer). All this is while your call is waiting. 

TFT needs the headset connection in order to make the phone controls available to the rider. What I want to figure out is how to trick the TFT into thinking that the headset is connected but for Sena to have a primary direct link with the phone. This way, theoretically, TFT phone controls should be available and the sound quality during the call would also be superior when directly connected to the phone. Ultimately, when the bike is shut off, the sound connection should remain with the phone. 

I guess I could try this trick with a second headset. Have the bike recognize it but use my first Sena as a directly connected device. Then this might just be a trick of figuring out a Bluetooth headset imitation USB stick. 

I know I am making this way too complicated but the current setup does not fit my needs a 100%. 

You can try this following setup, I know works with the Cardo and should work with the SENA.

Pair your main phone to the headset, delete all pairings from the TFT, including the WiFi . Make sure you pair your main phone as Phone#1 on your Headset.

Then pair a spare phone (sim card or not) to the TFT for navigation and music. 

Cardo and SENA Bluetooth headsets are programmed to give highest priority to Phone #1. When your Main Phone receives a call, your headset will connect and let you answer the call. It will also at that time mute the TFT (Music, directions etc.) until you have completed your call.

Will that allow me to answer the call from the TFT? 

Also, I just tried what I questioned above and it didn't work. 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

No, it doesn't allow you to answer the call from the TFT.

But you could use the setup the way you have it and if you have to stop riding during a call, only turn off the motor with the stop switch (red) and leave the TFT active until you are done with the call.

But then there's no need for the second phone because everything works. It's the switching part that's the issue when the TFT is off. It's like walking into a grocery store or getting a coffee with the helmet on. TFT is on in the photo below 😃20231123_141332.thumb.jpg.1ef579d7437277e36f814c76fa4b6d25.jpg

• chrisolson unfeatured this topic

After doing some researching and reading, I think I figured this out (almost entirely). This applies to Sena 50S only (possibly 30K, not tested) and is listed on page 22 of the manual under section 4.4 GPS pairing (which is somewhat misleading as second phone pairing is only listed in the section about GPS connectivity). But it allows for phone controls through the TFT. It is in the middle of the page 22 that it lists step #2 as "Second mobile phone pairing" which allows a simultaneous connection to both the TFT and my phone. Steps are below but there is one caveat - High Definition intercom has to be disabled for this to work:

1. Enable multipoint pairing on your Sena 50S from the Sena app (headset must be connected to your phone)

2. Now turn on the bike, delete your original headset pairing with the TFT (no need to unpair your phone from the TFT)

3. Turn on your 50S and you will hear it connect with your phone

4. Hold the jog dial for 5 seconds and when the light starts blinking red, within one second press the phone button in the back of the 50S once

5. Now search for a new rider's helmet through the TFT

6. Select the 50S as it was just newly found to connect

7. Now, during the call, if the ignition is switched off, your Sena can be easily selected from the list on your phone (this previously took a very long time as the 50S connection was exclusive to either TFT or your phone)

8. Alternatively, when you are on a call and now you turn on the ignition, your phone maintains the connection with the Sena and you have almost an uninterrupted conversation.

I am going to play around with it more to see what will change if the TFT is set as primary. There is also the A2DP profile that Sena offers but this will likely be for music only. Hope someone finds this useful as there is virtually no information on this setup anywhere. Based on what was shown in one of the videos on YouTube, this should also work with Sena 30K.

• Like 1