IGNORED

TPS Re-learn

81delorean

I didn't want to hijack the previous no start thread but was curious about he TPS re-learn. Is that something that needs to be done whenever the battery leads are disconnected? like when your working on the bike? or just if the battery dies completely and is left that way for a while? 

54 minutes ago, 81delorean said:

I didn't want to hijack the previous no start thread but was curious about the TPS re-learn. Is that something that needs to be done whenever the battery leads are disconnected? like when your working on the bike? or just if the battery dies completely and is left that way for a while? 

Morning 81delorean

Basically, YES.

You can sometimes get away with a very quick disconnect/reconnect as the Fueling computer has a very short memory but is a good idea to always do a new TPS re-learn after a battery disconnect, or even a dead battery.

It should already be stated in your BMW riders manual under battery replacement. 

13 minutes ago, 81delorean said:

Thanks, I reckon I need to do that then this weekend. What are the potential problems/symptoms if it's not done? 

Morning 81delorean

Sometimes nothing, sometimes poor low speed performance until it is ridden long enough & far enough to re-learn on it's own.

If you don't hit full (wide open) throttle a few times then it might not ever re-learn where wide open throttle is so if you are a light or moderate rider then definitely do the TPS re-learn.

I always do it at the first key-on right after a battery re-connect (or dead battery condition).