IGNORED

Do you need to buy the 'Rep. kit f lock cylinder' p/n 51 25 7 698 204 ($42 x 2) with new touring cases?

JCtx

Hey gang, just checking if this is correct. MAX is now trying to tack on an extra $84 for those kits, whatever they are. I haven't heard you need those to key the new bags. They should come with a little bag with the locks, the blades, little springs, and the locking tabs you need, right? But want to make sure that's the case, before refusing that.

By the way, they're also charging me $44 for a set of 2 'fastening set' p/n 71 60 7 680 840 ($22 each), that I have no freaking idea what is used for. It's just bolts and nuts that I see no need to buy, but maybe they're needed. Hopefully somebody knows for sure. Thank you.

Finally, there are 2 different part  numbers for the bags for my 2020 on their website, but they told me I need the more expensive ones ($603 vs $584), p/n 77 41 9 832 025/026 (white). I figured those more expensive part numbers already include whatever you need. And yes, my bike came with the factory bag mounts, so I figure I didn't need anything else. Final thanks in advance for your great help:).

Motorhead1977

Reach out to A&S BMW in Roseville CA. I've had great assistance with pannier related parts and other parts from them at prices lower than most anyone else. They're very accommodating and willing to go to great lengths over the telephone to answer questions, even such as sourcing specific parts directly from Germany that other vendors/dealers either didn't list or showed as N/A.

I cannot say for sure....that you do or don't need new parts. 

But I can say that when I bought my RT new in 2014, I also bought the BMW top case. In stock and they gave me more for my trade than expected...so cheap me bought the expensive top case. Maybe because it is expensive....the Service Manager took the lock apart and reset it to accept the same keys as came with my bike while they were prepping the RT to go home. I don't recall him using anything out of a new parts bag. He may have had a set of pins he changed out. 

20 hours ago, JCtx said:

MAX is now trying to tack on an extra $84 for those kits, whatever they are. I haven't heard you need those to key the new bags.

What's the problem with just asking MAX why they are adding the kits ?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, chrisolson said:

What's the problem with just asking MAX why they are adding the kits ?

Because now they say I need them (which wasn't mentioned before), and I don't think I do. Seems like a repair kit I don't really need. And they're not listed on the website; just the $22 hardware kit, which I also question if I need. Anyway, none of the videos I watched mentioned those repair kits; they just show a bag with the lock and tabs that should come with the cases. That's what I'm trying to find out.

Will call A&S BMW, since they seem to know. Thank you for that recommendation, Motorhead. Greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend everybody:).

Just hung up with A&S BMW, and all that extra hardware is needed indeed. So $1,334.00 for the freaking cases. There will be a $500 off promotion at the end  of the month, meaning $834. Will compare to other options, and decide if they're worth the difference. No way in hell I'd pay $1,334, but $500 less might be acceptable. I have the lock that I removed from the nav cradle (which I accidentally threw away), so might just need 1 repair kit ($42 less). Seems crazy that the bags come without locks and without hardware (possibly for the hinges? But who knows). Thank you guys.