IGNORED

Body Panel Paint Codes?

Stresspuppy

I'm trying to figure out the paint codes for my 2018 RT. It's Alpine White and the overall color scheme code is U571. The Alpine White code is 300, but I'm trying to figure out the trim pieces. There is a dark metallic gray and a black. I think the black is Jet Black Matte 103/M4A. I feel like I have searched to the end of the internet and cannot find the gray. I called a dealer and they said it is called Dark Slate, but they had no number for it. I need to get some panels painted (cosmetic stuff I knew was there when I bought the bike and said I could live with - I was wrong). The body shop said they have a camera that can mix up the right color, but I'd rather have the actual code than take a chance with the camera approach.

I've looked under the seat, on the forks, inside the lower panels to no avail. There is bound to be a code somewhere, but I'm hoping not to take the bike apart just to find it.

Any chance someone knows the code for the Dark Slate, and confirm the Jet Black code?

You already found the code for the scheme, the individual paint codes are not on the bike. 

Simply searching for BMW Dark Slate brings up at least three different codes: 988, M32/WM32  and M976.

I can usually find most paint codes from the fiche at realoem.com, but it only shows the Alpine White (300) and Jet Black (M4A), which you already have.

I've been very happy with the color and metallic paint match using touchup paints from scratcheshappen.com. The only Dark Slate Metallic Matte that they show for a 2018 RT is M976. ScratchesHappen is sometimes cheaper direct from their website, sometimes their Amazon site is better.

30 day Amazon returns might be easier, but I've never wanted to return their product.

Thanks. After posting this I kept searching and found the 988 but didn’t see the others. That gives me something to work with. 

I’m having a body shop spray the panels because something got in them that can only be sanded off so painting will be the only way to completely fix the problem. 

I’ll provide the body shop the numbers and see if they can straighten out exactly which one it is. I’m thinking 988 but the place you mentioned shows M976 so it feels a little like a crap shoot. 

Thanks for researching that and providing some additional info. I guess I didn’t reach the end of the internet after all. 🙃

7 hours ago, 6speedTi said:

Thanks. I've seen that but what made me skeptical is that everywhere else I have looked the Alpine White 3 code is 300 but ColorRite shows 983, so I thought maybe it was a something other than BMW's code.

I found another site that has a large list of the different BMW motorcycle colors (https://colorndrive.com/gb/touch-up-paint/bmw-motorcycle?year=2018&baseColor=#filter), though I am sure not all of those colors were available for 2018 so a little suspect. 

When I go to the VIN decoding sites, it just says "alpinweiss 3" with no color scheme or other codes.

For the black, the parts fiche sites show the black as being either "Black Silk" or "Night Black" with a note "Color Mixture Code M4A Jet Black Solid Paint Matte". so 3 different blacks. At a minimum that is M4A and 668 (ColornDrive.com number) for the black, and I have seen 103 as well. The only thing I know for certain is that the overall color scheme from BMW is U571. 

I wouldn't think it would be this difficult. 

On my Alpine White 2017 RT, the gray parts are not painted.  Rather, they are just colored plastic.  I wanted a custom paint job, so I bought some used plastics on eBay and had them painted.  That way, if I decided that I had regrets, I could reinstall the original unpainted body panels.

It was interesting that the used panels I bought on eBay arrived in two shades of gray or black.  I think BMW used a lighter gray on some bikes, like the bronze colored bikes.  And the Alpine White bikes got the dark gray, almost black, plastics.

in any case, I like the painted panels, and still have all my almost-new mostly-black body panels.  You.are welcome to them if you pay for shipping

Cap

6 hours ago, Cap said:

On my Alpine White 2017 RT, the gray parts are not painted.  Rather, they are just colored plastic.  I wanted a custom paint job, so I bought some used plastics on eBay and had them painted.  That way, if I decided that I had regrets, I could reinstall the original unpainted body panels.

It was interesting that the used panels I bought on eBay arrived in two shades of gray or black.  I think BMW used a lighter gray on some bikes, like the bronze colored bikes.  And the Alpine White bikes got the dark gray, almost black, plastics.

in any case, I like the painted panels, and still have all my almost-new mostly-black body panels.  You.are welcome to them if you pay for shipping

Cap

Yes, colored plastic. Mine are a mess and need to be repainted (or replaced) so just trying to figure out what to paint them to match. Seems the Dark Slate is straightforward (only found one number) but the black is a conundrum. 

I'm definitely interested in your panels. I just sent you a message with a picture of my bike and the panels in question to see what aligns with what you have. Extremely generous offer.

4 hours ago, taylor1 said:

This site seems to attract the cream of the crop  :shake:

I agree. I’m new to the forum, and to BMWs overall, and I have received nothing less than ️treatment. Would definitely recommend… 😁 

• 3 weeks later...

Got the panels from Cap. I’ll say it again, extremely generous person. 

I got the right side panels on. Big difference. None of that bubbly, swiped on, overly shiny stuff. Now on to the other side. 

Thanks Cap!

IMG_8531.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1