IGNORED

Knight Design for the RT?

Aussie Mark

For those that may be using the Knight Design lowering pegs, would you be able to provide a measurement from the center connector pin to the outboard edge of the Peg. 

Also what model of peg you are using. Metal or metal with rubber pad?

Being vertically challenged and and a dodgy knee, I'm trying to get a lowering peg that does not increase the distance from the bike to the end of the peg, as some designs do. 

KR, 

Mark

I'm having trouble visualizing your desired measure.  Could you post a pic of a footpeg with a scale laid on the measure you want? 

I use Suburban Machinery footpeg lowering blocks with the stock pegs.  They move the pegs down and slightly forward... but not outward.  Is that what you want?

Cap

Cap, 

This is the dimension I'm after. The current Wunderlich design positions the peg further from the bike and while I like the height, I find it forces my leg a little wide when I try and put my feet down.

Mark

Peg width from frame.jpg

I have been running and recommending Knight Design lowered footpegs for many years. I don't have the measurement you are asking for at hand. But I do know it is not sticking out further than the stock footpeg. Unlike Suburban Machinery, Illium, Wunderlich, these pegs simply replace the oem BMW peg at the pivot point. Unlike the other brands they do not use a bracket to lower the peg, which also moves the peg outward a bit. The Knight Design pegs give about the same cornering clearance as an oem with the peg feelers on the ends. They do this by eliminating the rubber portion, and by using a high strength CNC machined footpeg that isn't too thick. I was not aware they even offered a rubber option? 

My initial concern was my foot sitting on a bare aluminum surface would transmit vibrations. What I found was....that I really cannot tell any vibrations come through. I always wear boots. One positive side effect is that your boot stays where you put it on these. Wet or dry it is MUCH better than a rubber peg. They look like they are oem installed. They cost a LOT less than other choices and work better based on my experience. 

As with ANY lowered peg setup, you will have to adjust your shifter height ( easy) and your brake pedal height ( not so easy but doable with no new parts needed). 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JC120 said:

Just measured mine and came up with 4 5/8" I also don't have the rubber on and haven't noticed any vibration

JC120 

I just measured mine as well to see if they are the same; they are.  4 5/8" (12 cm).

I noticed the lack of rubber during my first ride and pretty much from then on, its just how the RT feels.  My R Nine T still has the stock pegs with rubber and I don't feel any difference with respect to the pegs going from one bike to the other.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the information and measurements.. I'll do some comparison work on the RT and determine what the delta is. 

KR, 

Mark

On 11/16/2023 at 7:53 AM, realshelby said:

I have been running and recommending Knight Design lowered footpegs for many years. I don't have the measurement you are asking for at hand. But I do know it is not sticking out further than the stock footpeg. Unlike Suburban Machinery, Illium, Wunderlich, these pegs simply replace the oem BMW peg at the pivot point. Unlike the other brands they do not use a bracket to lower the peg, which also moves the peg outward a bit. The Knight Design pegs give about the same cornering clearance as an oem with the peg feelers on the ends. They do this by eliminating the rubber portion, and by using a high strength CNC machined footpeg that isn't too thick. I was not aware they even offered a rubber option? 

My initial concern was my foot sitting on a bare aluminum surface would transmit vibrations. What I found was....that I really cannot tell any vibrations come through. I always wear boots. One positive side effect is that your boot stays where you put it on these. Wet or dry it is MUCH better than a rubber peg. They look like they are oem installed. They cost a LOT less than other choices and work better based on my experience. 

As with ANY lowered peg setup, you will have to adjust your shifter height ( easy) and your brake pedal height ( not so easy but doable with no new parts needed). 

Can you verify if the Knight Design fit the 21+ RT? I emailed them this question but have not heard back.

I don't own a 2021+ RT. But I have had talked with many owners that call about my Quiet Ride windshields and told them about the Knight Design pegs. No, the website does not show the newer year models as a fitment. But I know some of the owners I have talked with have ordered the Knight Design pegs that ARE listed for the previous generation RT. Never heard of a problem with them. I do not think there is a difference at all in the factory footpeg design from 2014 to current production based on pictures of them. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I don't own a 2021+ RT. But I have had talked with many owners that call about my Quiet Ride windshields and told them about the Knight Design pegs. No, the website does not show the newer year models as a fitment. But I know some of the owners I have talked with have ordered the Knight Design pegs that ARE listed for the previous generation RT. Never heard of a problem with them. I do not think there is a difference at all in the factory footpeg design from 2014 to current production based on pictures of them. 

I don't have the Knight Design pegs, I have the Suburban Machinery ones, I moved them a 14R1200RT to a 22R1250RT without any problem.  I also move the Iluim brake pedal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, hound said:

Can you verify if the Knight Design fit the 21+ RT? I emailed them this question but have not heard back.

I just ordered a set for my 22 RT.  The stock foot peg for the 1250RTs has the same part number as the WC 1200RTs no reason why they shouldn't fit.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • 3 months later...
Aussie Mark

Knight Design Sidetrax lowering pegs arrived in the mail today so it was time for the installation, with a couple of minor changes.
1. Blended some of the small sharp edges from the foot rest area(OCD).
2. Installed a stainless steel pin with utilising an E-Clip retaining ring, rather than the steel plate type with split/cotter pin.
3. Increased the bend radius of the outboard return spring leg, to remove the sharp 90 deg bend that sat away from the rear face of the peg creating a catch point for clothing or skin.

For those of us in Aus or not in the lower 48, shipping was easy and it took about 10 days to arrive on the other side of the globe..

Overall very happy with the product from Randy at Knight Design.

IMG_8356.JPG

IMG_8342.JPG

IMG_8346.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1