IGNORED

Change to clear signals?

Dave P

2007 R1200RT, my bike has the amber plastic front signal covers, I think the clear ones look cool, thought maybe Id switch them out. Is it this simple or are the sockets (that hold the bulbs) different? Cause I'd need to get amber bulbs. Thanks, Dave

1 hour ago, Dave P said:

2007 R1200RT, my bike has the amber plastic front signal covers, I think the clear ones look cool, thought maybe Id switch them out. Is it this simple or are the sockets (that hold the bulbs) different? Cause I'd need to get amber bulbs. Thanks, Dave

Afternoon Dave

Sockets are the same but you need new bulbs (amber bulbs) as the clear bulbs that you have now won't work with clear lens's. To be legal you need amber light emitting.  

7 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Dave

Sockets are the same but you need new bulbs (amber bulbs) as the clear bulbs that you have now won't work with clear lens's. To be legal you need amber light emitting.  

Just wondering if you are certain about that as in my experience clear bulbs have a BA15S base whereas amber bulbs have a BAU15S  base. The difference is in the clocking.

BA15SvsBAU15S.thumb.jpg.783aa509be658c6025a363b66c5676ae.jpg

8 hours ago, RadioFlyer said:

Just wondering if you are certain about that as in my experience clear bulbs have a BA15S base whereas amber bulbs have a BAU15S  base. The difference is in the clocking.

Morning RadioFlyer

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. And in looking at my parts manual the sockets ARE listed with different part numbers. So the clear bulb sockets are probably different. They do look the same at first glance. 

When the BMW 1200RT first came out I converted a couple of orange turn signal motorcycles to clear. BMW dealers used to offer a plug-in conversion kit to do that. 

It's been so long that can't remember but they were pretty well plug & play as they came with the orange bulbs/sockets already in place. 

Thanks for pointing this out as obviously I wasn't paying enough attention when I did the conversions.  

Yeah, I was originally thinking I could just switch out the lenses and bulbs, guess there's more to it than I thought. Still easy, just not as cheap. D

I just looked at the clear lights in the garage, the OEM clear light assemblies come with the clear lenses, the amber bulb and the bulb socket with two spade type connectors.  You unplug the yellow lights (two wires) and then plug in the clear lights.  No wiring changes needed.

So I saw some bulbs at Menards the other night and the amber bulbs had the same base as the clear bulbs. Bought the amber bulbs and tried them on the bike. They fit, they worked! Think I'll buy some clear lenses over the winter. 

IMG_4010.jpeg

• Like 1

Bought the clear lens off of amazon  not OE. Right and left sockets are different as the direction they turn in to lock. Both lens fit the socket on the left side not the right. I was heading on a trip soon so I cut the plastic stop bar on the socket . Its been over a year and it never came loose or leaked water in to it. You may not experience this  it's just my tale.  I attached a photo, it's not the socket in question but you'ii get the idea.1157bbmmmwwll.thumb.jpg.07c8f3d6a1c71e905a9206af7fcd06ba.jpg Al

Bike- I'm not totally following you. Did you replace the lenses or the whole assembly? I was hoping to just replace the lenses and bulbs, not the whole assembly $$. Did you find lenses on Amazon? If so Id be interested in having that link. Dave

Bike- so what you are saying is that if I purchase the set of clear lenses (clear and opaque assembly) on Amazon, one of the sockets will fit the other one wont. Is that correct?

thought this would be easier than this.

11 hours ago, Dave P said:

thought this would be easier than this.

Morning Dave

If you use aftermarket products then you can end up with aftermarket issues with wire splicing concerns. 

If you use BMW OEM lenses/housings then they come with the proper sockets & bulbs. The OEM BMW sockets are a simple plug-in to the existing wires (the BMW sockets have standard spade terminals on them so a simple existing wire plug-in).