IGNORED

new (ish) battery powered air pumps

randy

I have been looking for one of the new battery powered air pumps.  Any real life usage/recommendations.  I like the idea of an air pump not needing 12v supply.  Again hoping someone had gone this route and can make a recommendation.

this is for example only

Amazon.com: Airmoto Tire Inflator Portable Air Compressor/Pump for Car Tires w/Digital Tire Pressure Gauge - Air Compressor (120 PSI) - Motorcycle, Electric Bike Pump and Bicycle Pump w/LED Light : Automotive

I like the idea of not having to connect it to the bike (and possibly to run the bike while inflating), but I wonder how long it will run on a charge - can I fill a tire from flat? More than one? 

I also like the idea, with a wired pump, it just lives on the bike - maybe for years at a time without being touched - and I never have to worry about it being charged. 

Curious to see if anyone has experience actually using one of these....

Belt and suspenders….. I carry a 12 volt air pump, and I also have a few CO2 cartridges. The CO2 is there just in case the pump fails, which it hasn’t in the 15+ years it’s been living in the saddle bag.  This summer, had to use the pump on the rear tire. Filled it up to 40 PSI in about 6-7 minutes. No issues with starting the bike again after the fill.

The small battery powered pumps are probably good to carry on a bicycle, where there is no other power source.

I feel the 12V source on my motorcycle is more reliable as long as I don't run out of gas.  The 12-year-old Slime pump tucked into my RT's tail section doesn't care if I ignore it for several years, but I would surely forget to keep another battery charged. Batteries have a limited lifetime, which likely would mean replacing the entire pump.    A 12V pump for the motorcycle and cars just makes more sense to me. 

1 hour ago, lkraus said:

The 12-year-old Slime pump tucked into my RT's tail section doesn't care if I ignore it for several years, but I would surely forget to keep another battery charged.

^^^^^This.  I have a 12V slime in the bag.  Only used it once in the 17 years I've owned it.  I hate batteries.

Ikraus, the plug in pump will work with the ignition on.  It only needs lektrons.  Doesn't care if the bike is running or not.  But hey, w/o gas you're not going anywhere anyway I spoz.

• Like 1