IGNORED

The Phantom Drain.

Re-Tired

As dirt rider has mentioned in several threads over the years, the older versions of a Kisantech Signal Minder has a fairly large battery drain. The Signal Minder replaces the OEM turn signal relays. Riders do it because it provides a number of useful features that the OEM turn signal relay didn't. I have one and love it tho mine is relatively new one so don't experience the battery drain issue. The relay is under the seat in the fuse box. Look at the Kisantech site and see a signal minder there. The Signal Minder is silver while the OEM are black IIRC. If you have one, that could be your problem.

Miguel

MIguel The bike is all stock other than the exhaust that I can see. And the fairing which I added. I just joined thank you. I will investigate.

oilhead.jpg

You could disconnect the + side of the battery and put an ammeter in the circuit, a simple hand held unit would suffice, then see what current is flowing. Then remove the fuses one by one until the current draw stops, then you have found your culprit. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Re-Tired said:

Can somebody point me to a list of possibilities? Diagnostic procedures? Respectfully Michael.

R1100R 1998

Morning Re-Tired

First off look for any non-BMW accessories that are hooked to motorcycle power. These are the most logical place to start your search. Tell us if/what you have on that motorcycle that isn't stock, then we can advise you how to diagnose those as the possible issue. 

If you have access to a small volt/ohm meter most of those have a built in ammeter (but usually not more than a 10 amp load measurement capability). 

You can use that ammeter in series between the (B+) battery cable & battery post (right at the battery post) but that is kind of a pain to do on the BMW 1100 motorcycle. It is probably the best place to test at, at least to find out if you DO have a battery draining parasitic drain. You can also place a 12v (incandescent) test light between the removed B+ battery cable & the battery post. If the test light lights (or glows) this will tell you if you have a large parasitic  drain but won't show a minor one or how much drain. 

An easier to do parasitic drain test is to remove all the fuses from the fuse box (label each one for position or make a cardboard mock-up mirroring the fuse box layout) so you can get the proper fuse back in the proper place.   

Once the fuses are removed then put your digital ammeter across each independent fuse position terminals in the fuse box (your meter will just replace that fuse as far a continuity goes).

Write all the fuse position parasitic drains down then add them up. 

Anything under 3.0 mA (total) is OK  (probably slightly lower on the 1100R as the 1150 has the dash RID)  

If you have the old style Kisan Signal-Minder that can draw up to  4.7 mA all by itself. 

If you can't find the smoking gun then don't forget about the battery itself, the battery can have internal issues & have it's own self drain. This is difficult to measure for  as you can't do it with a simple ammeter. 

One way to find an internal battery drain is to disconnect the battery after every ride, if the battery is low or dead after a day or two then it has internal issues.

Also verify that your alternator belt is tight as your charging system might not be keeping up with system load as you ride leaving you with a low battery after a ride. 

oR4khaQ.jpg