IGNORED

Are Trikes MORE/LESS Stable Than a Polaris Slingshot or Can-Am Spyder?

gmcjetpilot

So went on a club ride and got into this discussion...  He was very sure that a TRIKE (a motorcycle retrofitted with two two wheel) is stable and can't be rolled. My opinion based on physics is the TRIKE (with two rear wheels) is NOT as stable as a three wheeler with the two wheels in the front and one in the back.

Look even a car with 4 wheels can roll over.  A motorcycle with a sidecar is a third kind of "trike". Assuming sidecar on right side of bike you can "fly" the side car, and if taken too far flip over in a hard right turn. Honda  3 Wheel ATV? They hurt and killed a lot of riders.  They were discontinued. No one makes them and ATV's with 4 wheels is now the status quo.

Keeping to original question, is a TRIKE more stable or less stable than a Slingshot or Spyder.  The Spyder being more motorcycle than car, that would be a better comparison. 

For FYI, a lot of Mico cars from long ago put three wheels down like the Slingshot. This is a BMW Isetta from the 1950's.

image.thumb.jpeg.50c39f276cc10cb861767378ceee8b89.jpeg

Remember the Top Gear episodes of the Reliant Robin  (good for a laugh). In comparison 

• Like 1
  • gmcjetpilot changed the title to Are Trikes MORE/LESS Stable Than a Polaris Slingshot or Can-Am Spyder?

A good comparison video here.

I’ve got some miles on a Spyder and some on an old ATC Honda. The Spyder will be more stable IMO, if I reach back and remember how the ATC rode. And yes it’s not apples to apples I realize.

Any chance I get to show off the early days, I’m in! :rofl: I posted this before, (this is a bad pic) but I raced my 250R at Southwick, where they race a National Motocross event every year. Some big names tell me they were honored to know they raced the same track as I. :whistle: 

Spoiler

That last statement is actually in reverse :D

image.thumb.jpeg.3d25d8632a62a403c676a9eabd0e5519.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, Honda would have had to discontinue the "Big Red" and other 3 wheelers had they been more stable. One ride on a "two in the front and one in the rear" will instantly tell you which is more stable in a turn.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
14 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

He was very sure that a TRIKE (a motorcycle retrofitted with two two wheel) is stable and can't be rolled.

Then he just isn't trying hard enough.

• Plus 1 1