IGNORED

New to Forum and BMW Bikes did I buy a Headache

Cowboysong

I have just committed(yesterday) to a new to me 2020 RT1250. It only has 2200kms on it and it is at BMW Toronto for the winter. I didn't think much about it till last night and started seaching....

We had it up on it's centre stand and the throttle had a delay? TPS maybe? I was more concerned about making sure it shifted without any nasty noise. I stood back and listened while the salesman went through the gears. But before that there was a delay from mechanical movement to throttle response. 

I thought it was idling pretty darn rough but chucked it down to it being cold.

I am starting to freak out. I hymed and hawd for four years since the sale of my 2012 Kawasaki Concours.

It is beautiful bike 719 paint(Blue/pearl), wheels, seat, cylinder covers and levers...I want this bike to work and not to have to sell it. 

Please any information would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Frankly, they aren’t the smoothest idling let alone when cold. The shift to first is usually clunky too. I wouldn’t worry about it at all. It probably is, but, make sure its software is up to date. That can affect shifting. Just look forward to enjoying your new bike.

5 hours ago, Cowboysong said:

I have just committed(yesterday) to a new to me 2020 RT1250. It only has 2200kms on it and it is at BMW Toronto for the winter. I didn't think much about it till last night and started seaching....

We had it up on it's centre stand and the throttle had a delay? TPS maybe? I was more concerned about making sure it shifted without any nasty noise. I stood back and listened while the salesman went through the gears. But before that there was a delay from mechanical movement to throttle response. 

I thought it was idling pretty darn rough but chucked it down to it being cold.

I am starting to freak out. I hymed and hawd for four years since the sale of my 2012 Kawasaki Concours.

It is beautiful bike 719 paint(Blue/pearl), wheels, seat, cylinder covers and levers...I want this bike to work and not to have to sell it. 

Please any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Afternoon  Cowboysong

It could be something as simple as the traction control kicking in.

You REALLY should ride it a short ways (with both wheels on the ground) before fully committing to purchase.  

You need to identify the problem (if there even is a problem) so the dealer can repair it on their dime (or under Warranty) before fully committing to purchase.   

Or, if you can't ride it, then get a written commitment from the dealer to repair that throttle lag if it does turn out to be an issue after taking possesion.   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cowboysong said:

Thankyou Daveyator.

What about the delayed throttle response...? Is that falling under software?

As others say, possibly traction mode. Since it’s 3+ years old with only 2200kms….. Capt obvious might ask if old gas?

2 hours ago, Daveyator said:

As others say, possibly traction mode. Since it’s 3+ years old with only 2200kms….. Capt obvious might ask if old gas?

Evening Cowboysong / Daveyator

A LOT of possibilities on this one, but before thinking the worst, or looking for the unusual, or looking for the unknown we REALLY need to determine IF that motorcycle actually has a problem. 

Cowboysong, does it rev OK if just free revved in neutral???????? If so then the problem is probably related to one wheel rotation with the other wheel standing still.  

Daveyator, if it still does it while riding then old gasoline (or phase separation)  could be causing or contributing to the issue.

It might just need an electronic  throttle re-calibration. 

Cowboysong, if a dealer or shop  is selling it then have them check it out for you. They have the motorcycle so they can see/feel what it is doing. We can give you 50 guesses & scare the heck out of you but none of those are probably true so you first need to determine if it really has an issue. If it does then have them repair it before delivery, or at least gather a lot more info on what it is doing & when, & exactly when it is or isn't doing it.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Daveyator

A LOT of possibilities, but before thinking the worst, or looking for the unusual, or looking for the unknown you REALLY need to determine IF that motorcycle actually has a problem. 

Does it rev OK if just free revved in neutral???????? If so then the problem is probably related to one wheel rotation with the other wheel standing still.  

If it still does it while riding then old gasoline (or phase separation)  could be causing or contributing to the issue.

It might just need an electronic  throttle re-calibration. 

If a dealer or shop  is selling it then have them check it out for you. They have the motorcycle so they can see/feel what it is doing. We can give you 50 guesses & scare the heck out of you but none of those are probably true so you first need to determine if it really has an issue. If it does then have them repair it before delivery, or at least gather a lot more info on what it is doing & when, & exactly when it is or isn't doing it.

I agree. She may just need a good ride or two but definitely MAKE the selling dealer responsible for any issues.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply, out with my 4 year old grandson...

Thankyou gentlemen, I will definitely be contacting first thing in the morning. The gas tank was full, and I truly appreciate all your input and have given me lots to think about.

I said no to an aftermarket warranty, (factory warranty has expired) but texted my salesman and asked to send me a bill electronically.

I truly assumed(I know:27:) that these bikes were really smooth running machines, with a bullet proof history I really didn't have lemon wonderment. 

Saw this somewhere a long time on one of the forums. Someone referred to their RT as a bucket of bolts. It's not too far from the truth, especially, when you shift from neutral into first at a stoplight. If you have a video of the issue this bike is having, that might be helpful for others to see. 

You're not supposed to run a bike thru the gears on the center stand, as an FYI. And since it has TC, it very well could be that, since only the rear wheel is turning, and bike is level (not in a wheelie), so the ECU doesn't know what's happening. Just ride it properly, and report back. Most likely there won't be anything wrong with it. Good luck.

• Like 2

Do not compare "smoothness" of the RT to your Concours. It is NOT as smooth at idle ( by a long shot) and might seem to have a bit of vibration at cruising rpm. But that part is normal and will NOT cause concern on a very high mileage day. Unlike the Concours, there will be no "BUZZ" in the handlebar that can cause hands to tingle. The vibration an RT does exhibit is low frequency and you will get used to that. 

As mentioned earlier revving the bike on the centerstand, assuming you also had it in gear, will likely cause it to not act right. These bikes have sophisticated traction, lean, and dynamic throttle controls built into them. They do NOT like the rear wheel turning and the front NOT turning for instance. 

Like Dirtrider mentioned, a test ride is a must do since you are not confident in the bike. Most BMW dealers will welcome a request to ride the bike. That.....could fix all the issues you think the bike may be having!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The internal combustion engine is perfected simple as that so all these manufacturers can do is dream up more whistles and bells.  Sad thing is BMW seems to be leading the pack in the whistle and bell department and little else.  These latest incarnations from Der Fatherland are prime examples.  Just my opinion of course and maybe that of a few others as well.

I owned a Concours 1400 and a 1200RT (and  now  an R1250R),  and the RT was  by far the smoother engine. And by that I mean it had far less numbing vibration than the buzzy I-4 on the Kawi. In fact, that's why I sold the Concours (just like the equally buzzy K1300S before that). The BMW boxer engine is quite smooth, but it'll ALWAYS vibrate (especially at idle), due to the nature of a boxer twin engine. However, it's a lower frequency vibration that doesn't numb, and can even be considered 'soothing' to some. That has nothing to do with lack of refinement or sophistication. The 1250 engine is highly sophisticated, and a big improvement over the 1200 IMO. I can't imagine the new 1300 being smoother, but guess we'll find out soon enough. Ha ha. But yes, boxer (especially the 1200) engines require higher revs down low under throttle to run smoothly,  at least compared to an I-4, but it's always good not to lug the engine anyway, so not an issue for most  of us. I was always an I-4 guy (for decades), and the 1200RT didn't quite win me over... but the 1250R did:cool:. I gave it a chance after reading numerous reviews, and because I didn't have any other choice of a sporty naked with shaft, the latest rider aids, and all the bells and whistles. And even though I had to buy it blindly (without a test ride), it didn't disappoint at all. In fact, it's the best bike I've owned so far, out of dozens, so quite happy with my purchase. Hope you're too:).

Thankyou for all your input guys, my mind has been put to ease pretty much. I am adding a four year cover everything warranty to it. 

The thought later on about running the bike through the gears on the the center stand came late last night. I remember doing that with my  Kawasaki C14 and the information read out was flashing very quickly at me an abbreviation at me to stop!!! 

JCtx that is also part of the reason I also sold my C14, the buzz was crazy some days....one day for a few hours no buzz the other half of the ride absolutely numb. Added the heaviest bar end weights and grip puppies....it was nuts!

I am glad to here the RT is low frequency. My first street bike was a 09 Suzuki 650 wee-strom and it had a 'hang on all day' low frequency  buzz and never bothered me. Then I got the C14 brand new. 2012 Candy Arabian Red. What beautiful colour. I definitely miss it's powerful engine. 

I think the RT will be fine and I was put off by stuff I didn't think of and assumed shouldn't be..

Thankyou all again. Unfortunately the spending is not done yet....crash bars,...,..?...

Motorhead1977

@Cowboysong, definitely crash bars. Take a look at ilium and their video. It sold me on those for my '18 1200RT, which I loved. Only traded in for my 1250RS as I'm inseam challenged and I could just about flat foot the RS and no so with the RT, even with a low seat.

Make a list of each concern you have about the bike and have the dealership include it with your purchase contract as issues they will attend to. That's a good way to increase your peace of mind :18: