IGNORED

Alternative brand/oil to substitute for Golden Spectro synthetic blend

SDCRJohn

I have been using Golden Spectro blend, in the 20/50 weight , since I originally bought my R1100 RS, I didn’t mind paying the usual price of $9-12. per quart.

But recently, I’ve found it priced at a low of $18., all  the way to $25. Per quart. Yes,, I realize inflation is a factor. I’ve been satisfied with the Golden Spectro product, but would like to find aN alternative.

Anyone have a suggestion for a less costly, synthetic blend that has similar lubrication qualities, or do I need to just stay with this and chalk it up to everything costing 50-80% more.

When I bought my 1100RT ten years ago the previous owner used Mobil 1 full synthetic 20w50 and that's what I've been running ever since. Still kinda pricey, but at WM it's about $10.50 a quart. Oreileys did a price match so I bought 4 quarts there. Seems like I saw synth blend in 20/50 somewhere locally in a Valvoline or Castrol.   Dave

Though not a blend, I can't remember using anything other than Mobile1 20w50 synthetic in my 02 RT for the past 20 years. 5 qts. at Walmart  $28.95

• Like 1

I usually use Mobil 1, Castrol synthetic or blend, or the LiquiMoly that Beemer Boneyard packages with their maintenance kits. Prices range from under $10 per quart up to about $15 per quart. 

As you can imagine, this question has been asked a bunch - here's a pretty thorough answer from a previous thread:

Thanks guys. The only reason I have avoided Mobil one, is that I have “heard”  that  it may cause engine leaks.  
I have seen a the Valvoline  and Castro’s oils, which I may try. These brands still seem to be priced in the 10-13 range. Not sure why GS has had a huge price increase.

Here's my Blackstone on a virgin sample of Ultra 1 Plus. This is for a 5W-40 weight.

After I get 3,000 on it, I'll do another Blackstone and see if it really can hold up to a 6,000 mile service. (My use is in a 2017 RT with a wet clutch.)  $120 for 5 gallon can

Scan_20230925.thumb.png.ee33847ce1c990787183aa66a4508aec.png

Amsoil Full Synthetic Metric oil. 15w-50

Use AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil in Can-Am,* Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW,* Triumph* and other motorcycles where 10W-40 motorcycle oil is required. Recommended for transmissions requiring an API GL-1 fluid. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required. • API SM, JASO MA/MA2 Use AMSOIL 15W-50 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil in motorcycles that require 15W-50 motorcycle oil, including those made by Ducati,* BMW, KTM,* Yamaha, Triumph and Royal Enfield.* Not recommended where API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required. • API SM, JASO MA/MA2