IGNORED

Riding into the sun

Rougarou

what do you do?

My commute once I hit the slab is directly east in the morning and directly west in the afternoon.  Spring and Fall ('bout now) are where it's at its worst for going in blind. 

I slow down,.....really, I do,....a bit and try to keep the lane in front of me open, but even with that straight glare, tis a bit difficult to deal with.

What'chall do?

*I couldn't directly copy the motorcycle post, it's the second video below----ya, he was speeding up too.

https://x.com/Mhlanga_8/status/1723188986515226663?s=20

https://x.com/Mhlanga_8/status/1723188986515226663?s=20

• Like 1

Well if he could only see what the camera was seeing, his bad, really bad! :facepalm: I don’t have to deal with it often but, I’ve done the left handed sun block salute on occasion. :dontknow:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2

That's why I like my 3/4 helmet with a visor, to lower my head enough that the rain visor blocks the sun. If the tree line on the horizon doesn't give you enough 'room' to use that, change your route for a  couple of weeks.

(I have built in sun shades on both of my helmets and they are basically useless IMO.)

15 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

change your work hours :whistle:

if i could honestly justify going in at 0500, i would. My manager would allow it, but my conscience wont.   Im already 1.5 hours earlier than most

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

if i could honestly justify going in at 0500, i would. My manager would allow it, but my conscience wont.   Im already 1.5 hours earlier than most

So go in ONE hour earlier than most, and gradually work your way back to 1.5 hours as the sunrise location changes.  Even a 10 or 15 minute change earlier/later for about a week will be enough so that the sun and road  do not align.

• Like 3

I have a Schuberth E1, which has a peak on it and it works great for me.   I usually turn on a road during the ride home, which lines up directly in the sun (druing certain times.)   I love how easy it is to tilt down a little and use the peak.   

• Like 3

Hope you get it sorted Richard...we'd like to keep you around a while longer.  I particularly like to read about your home repair shenanigans using ladders :18:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Hope you get it sorted Richard...we'd like to keep you around a while longer.  I particularly like to read about your home repair shenanigans using ladders :18:

Im playing with electricity and water today. 

Running a mist and hose system from a rain barrel that will be fed by that greenhouse gutter i made. Also gotta tap into the power line to add another outlet near the rain barrel to power the on demand pump

Should be frustrating as usual. 

on the sun thing, i’s just wondering if anyone commutes east in the morning west in the evening worked it all out. 

ive got the neotec with visor that I pull down to shade the eyes but rarely pull it all the way down like sunglasses.   On an old scorpion helmet i had, i did run a strip of electrical tape on the bottom of the sun visor and that did help so I might try that again as suggested 

Dont really want to adjust my time in later cause I like to get home as early as possible   

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wbw6cos said:

Perhaps you did not read my response, so I will post a picture for you to see what I own.

I read every post you post William, :read: especially now that you’re semi famous ^ :clap::classic_biggrin: I comprehend better with pictures/ links I guess. :dontknow: That’s nice looking, how’s the comfort? 

• Haha 1

I sort of figured that you, like me, enjoy photos over wording.  :yes:

I had a C4 (from The Netherlands, oooh.) and the size was large.   Go figure.   I measured my noggin and selected the size accordingly.   At first it was tight, but as it wore out, it fit better.  A few years later, on rides longer than 6 hours, or so, that helmet starting puting pressure on the top of my forehead.  I thought the padding was broken in.  :dontknow:

I ended up retiring that C4 once I saw the E1 come out.   Joel has an adventure helmet with a peak and kept bragging about how nice it works in the sun.   It was a no-brainer for me to buy one.   I went with an XL (stateside) and it works for me, so far.  Most sunny days, I do not need to drop the sun shade.  Go figure, eh.

• Thanks 1
On 11/12/2023 at 1:23 PM, TEWKS said:

Got a little more info on that? Does it flip up? :cool:

Its removable with plates that block off the mount....essentially becoming a C3Pro.  The peak has an adjustment for two levels.  Low and higher.  Low has your head level and the peak cuts vision at the top of the horizon.  High and you have to tilt your head down a bit to cut the sun on the horizon.

Its very effective cutting glare when riding into the sun.  Can also cut rain from hitting directly into your line of sight.

• Thanks 1

You're not using your existing equipment to it's full capabilities.  " ive got the neotec with visor that I pull down to shade the eyes but rarely pull it all the way down like sunglasses."  Give it a try.

9 hours ago, Red said:

You're not using your existing equipment to it's full capabilities.  " ive got the neotec with visor that I pull down to shade the eyes but rarely pull it all the way down like sunglasses."  Give it a try.

I do that too.  The internal rarely goes to the bottom and is only used as a shade, but when going directly into the sun at the direct line of sight, still kinda blinding as the tint isn't dark enough.  

I did go back to the electrical tape on the bottom of the internal visor and that fully shades the eyes.

I use a tinted visor plus this sunblocker strip on the top.  Its slightly transparent so you can still look thru it as needed unlike electrical tape across the top.  I'll tip my helmet down to keep the sunblocker strip at sun level and its like having a double tint with the tinted visor.  Sometimes it still gets really bad and I resort to the left hand up to block the sun.

sunblocker.thumb.jpg.c758013d0fe3a2ae1d88eb8eb86d1db2.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BrianT said:

I use a tinted visor plus this sunblocker strip on the top.  Its slightly transparent so you can still look thru it as needed unlike electrical tape across the top.  I'll tip my helmet down to keep the sunblocker strip at sun level and its like having a double tint with the tinted visor.  Sometimes it still gets really bad and I resort to the left hand up to block the sun.

sunblocker.thumb.jpg.c758013d0fe3a2ae1d88eb8eb86d1db2.jpg

I tried one of these once.  Problem is, when you open the faceshield for some air, the wind flow will catch it and away it goes.  Works good while its there though.

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, DonBernow said:

I tried one of these once.  Problem is, when you open the faceshield for some air, the wind flow will catch it and away it goes.  Works good while its there though.

Weird I've ridden with these for for 20 ish years without loosing a single one. 

• Plus 1 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 11/11/2023 at 6:42 PM, Hank in WV said:

Try a strip of tape across the top of your face shield.

came in here to recommend this.  I used to do this when I rode a lot in the evenings.