IGNORED

2004 R1150RT 4,800 rpm increased vibration

Flagman

Hello all those more knowledgeable than I. I've had an maintained my bike for years and have recently noticed a stronger vibration starting at 4,800 rpm. My thinking if the valves or throttle bodies were needing adjustment the vibration wouldn't be drastically increased at a certain point but rather increased vibration throughout the rpm range.  clutch handle in makes no difference.  Any thoughts?

27 minutes ago, Flagman said:

Hello all those more knowledgeable than I. I've had an maintained my bike for years and have recently noticed a stronger vibration starting at 4,800 rpm. My thinking if the valves or throttle bodies were needing adjustment the vibration wouldn't be drastically increased at a certain point but rather increased vibration throughout the rpm range.  clutch handle in makes no difference.  Any thoughts?

Evening   Flagman

That 4,800 RPM range is right in the area that BMW has a natural vibration point so a vibration in that RPM range  is normal.

If your vibration is worse than it normally is then you will have to chase things down to find it's root cause.

You can probably skip the valves & throttle bodies as the cause as a 4,800 RPM engine vibration is high enough that it is above most valve or TB effected vibration influence.

The clutch-in thing (I assume that is also allowing the engine RPM's to drop) more points to wheel balance issue or drive shaft issue. 

Can you get the same type of vibration in 5th gear at the same 4,800 RPM engine speed???    Answering this can help us point you towards what to look at. 

Have you recently changed the engine oil? If so is it now overfilled with oil? Some riders have noted that an oil overfill can increase engine vibration in the 4K-5K RPM range. I haven't ever been able to prove that to myself but a number of riders have reported it  so it is something to look into. 

You might also look into your muffler retention possibly being loose?  And make sure that your exhaust is not contacting the center stand. 

Also make sure that all the engine attaching bolts are tight.

I have seen an increase in engine vibration when the clutch/input shaft splines are worn but your clutch-in test sort of points away from this as usually a clutch-in (maintain same engine RPM) reduces the vibration induced by loose splines (IE off-center clutch disk).

As DR mentions, my 1100r vibrates horribly if I go much above the middle level on the oil sight glass. I can see no reason it should do it, or could do it, but on my very first oil change I poured the whole jug of oil in, which took it to the top of the sight glass, and on a test ride as soon as I got to about 3600 rpm there was an awful hammering through he bike, almost like I'd ridden over a rumble strip on the road. Onto the internet, asked what I'd done wrong, and was told about the oil level thing. I've done it a few times since accidentally but the vibes always remind me if I overfilled.