IGNORED

Automatic windshield re-sync

profbodryak

Maybe this will help someone one day (found on another forum but it worked on my RT today). If your windscreen stopped retracting automatically when ignition is set to off, then turn on the ignition, cycle it up and down a couple of times. Upon the completion of your trip, your windshield should retract automatically again. While I found this on another forum, the dealer explained that this happens as a result of not allowing the bike to go through a full list of start up checks prior to taking off. 

• Like 2

I know what you mean, Cap.  I hate having to power it up to extend it, then leave it on while I wash and rinse.  :dopeslap:

• Like 1
On 11/9/2023 at 10:37 PM, profbodryak said:

the dealer explained that this happens as a result of not allowing the bike to go through a full list of start up checks prior to taking off. 

When I bought my RT used, the previous owner said that if he started it without waiting for the self checks to finish, he would blow a headlight.  /that was enough for me to always wait!

18 hours ago, Stiggy said:

So there is a reason to wait for all the dash lights to cycle before I hit the starter button.

Thanks for the info.

I once rode into a graupel storm on the Million Dollar Highway of Colorado. There was at least a quarter inch of snow on every surface and for some reason I decided to pull off (a gear adjustment, pictures, ???)  The instant the engine stopped I changed my mind, turned the ignition back on and immediately rode off.  I quickly discovered at the next curve that my whizzy brakes were not working on a curvy mountain road in a snowstorm with no nearby pull off and closely following traffic. The brakes could slow the bike, but only with great deal of effort and had very poor feel, not great on a slippery surface. I probably only rode about a mile to another pull off where I could do a proper restart, but it seemed much longer.   It was memorable experience, in the sense that I remember it on every start, and always let all the startup routines complete before I hit the start button.

• Like 3

I always let the self-check completely cycle too, before starting the engine. And since the fuel pump is fully primed, engine starts instantly. I also learned that when the exact same thing stated above happened to my ex-K1200RS with 'wheezy' brakes. It might not be needed anymore on our more modern bikes, but it's not going to hurt anything, especially since the headlight doesn't come on until engine is running. And it just takes a few seconds, so no biggie.