IGNORED

Super Loud Horns - Any Suggestions Opinions

gmcjetpilot

A  pop up ad for loud motorcycle horns reminded me.... the one I saw was $69, 120-130db and draws 10 amps. 

I googled loud motorcycle horns. There are a bunch.

I put loud horns on a bike decades ago. I never thought about it for my R1150RT BMW. Stock horns are OK, but could be better. 

It looks like some are to drop in and connect to existing wiring. Others (like the 10 amp one) need a relay and direct connect to batter (with fuse of course).

Claims of loudness are all over the place.... Prices are all over. The $69 is high end. They are as cheap as $10 for two. I assume they are less loud but who knows..

The stock horn are two horns. I remember as a young rider, Japanese bikes the horn was BEEP BEEP. 

Suggestion? Options 

I can think of almost zero situations where a horn is really what you need on a bike. If you are relying on someone to hear the horn, figure it what it means, and then use that info to not kill you —- well, good luck. I’ve never bothered to upgrade one because I almost always find it’s better to use my fingers to move the bike instead of beeping the horn. Of course, since I don’t practice the horn I probably wouldn’t hit the right button if I wanted it anyway ;)

• Like 5

There are a few threads on replacement horns. Miguel, I think, did a pretty thorough comparison in one.

Steibel, and stock horns from certain BMW cars have been endorsed often.

3 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I can think of almost zero situations where a horn is really what you need on a bike. If you are relying on someone to hear the horn, figure it what it means, and then use that info to not kill you —- well, good luck. I’ve never bothered to upgrade one because I almost always find it’s better to use my fingers to move the bike instead of beeping the horn. Of course, since I don’t practice the horn I probably wouldn’t hit the right button if I wanted it anyway ;)

No disrespect but I disagree. You sound fatalistic, lack imagination and/or logic.  You can't understand being heard could help or imagine a loud horn might come in handy? Not saying it will prevent you ever being killed on a motorcycle. I know it is dangerous. However you can midgate those risk by not drinking driving, not speeding, defensive driving,....  You might as well say, you are relying on someone to see you. Your Logic is flawed. Yes I expect to be seen and heard but  I ASSUME THEY DON'T. So I help make myself more visible and heard, e.g., loud horn. It can't hurt being more visible and able to get a "Cager's" attention likely texting with a loud horn. 

Beep beep is not what I am talking about. I am talking civil defense tornado siren, train, large tanker ship, emergency vehicle loud. Of course I am going to ride the motorcycle, manipulate the controls to avoid danger, but I can also push a horn button all at the same time... I am that good. Ha ha. Not hard my friend. You really are making strawman argument. May be you never heard a loud horn? You are hard of hearing? Loud horns get attention, NOW. 

Let me give you a real example that happened to me. This was 3 or 4 decades ago. I was behind a car at a stop sign. I was on a Japanese bike with beep beep horns. The road was divided and you could only turn right. They wanted to go left. So they decided to back up over me. I hit the horn, beep beep, they kept coming back. When their bumper made contact with my front tire, I jumped off bike.They stopped before completely rolling over me and my bike, now laying on ground as a bailed off. After that I got LOUD HORNS on that very bike. I recall Hella Supertone horns. So I disagree. A loud horn I believe would have helped. 

I could imagine and know of many situations a loud horn may/might/could/would prevent someone drifting into my lane, for another example. Of course you drive defensive and assume they don't see you or hear you, but I also wear bright colors and have my bright white LED headlight and fog lights on always. Why not have a really loud 130db or louder Horn? You are saying why bother? OK.  Up to you..... I want people to #$% their self when I hit that button.  Horns are required on every motor vehicle. So it's a thing, and the law. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2

I had a Denali SoundBomb on my GS and it saved me and my wife in Canada when a transit bus started to pull away from the curb. We were stopped in traffic and there was no where to go. I was anticipating this and had my thumb on the horn button. I hit it when he turned the front wheels in our direction and began to move. The bus suddenly lurched to a stop and both the bus driver and I were relieved there was no contact. Previously, I mainly used it in the country to warn wildlife. I don't use my horn except when necessary. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

There are a few threads on replacement horns. Miguel, I think, did a pretty thorough comparison in one.

Steibel, and stock horns from certain BMW cars have been endorsed often.

Indeed I  did, four years ago and you can find the comparison HERE. I put my engineering skills to work to make a bunch of sound level measurements and did a fair bit of listening too to choose a trio of horns that sounded good to my ear. I standby the observations I made in that thread and if I had to replace my horns for some reason, I'd use the same ones. While out riding, I don't hesitate to give people a "TOOT" if they aren't looking at me and they are potentially going to turn into my path of travel. The horns are LOUD and never fail to get someone's attention, even if their windows are up. There also some other suggestions that other riders have made in the thread. I never did any comparison to them because I was pretty happy with what I'd put together and not looking to invest more time on the project. I also included a video playing the horns and a link to a post for the insulation.  Let me know if I can answer any questions. 

Cheers. Miguel

PS: One time I stopped at a railroad intersection when a locomotive was coming thru. I gave the engineer a couple "toots". He looked down and smiled at me and gave me a couple "toots" back. So it was loud enough for him to hear them.

20 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I lack logic, imagination and understanding? Wow. You sure leaned a a lot about from four sentences. 

You are wrong. That is what I learned. Is that better. Ha ha.  Do as you like and imagine whatever you want. Beep beep. Cheers

I've got two, yes two Stebel's on the RT and have used them quite often when the texter or phone talker fail to utilize the pivot point above their shoulders prior to changing a lane.  Hit the horn button and two times 139db hits them right where they need it.

Loud drag pipes sometimes save lives? 

Stoopid Harley riders.

And, I don't have to listen to an annoying rumble for the entire duration of my ride.;)

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

And, I don't have to listen to an annoying rumble for the entire duration of my ride.;)

Sometimes I downshift and hammer just to hear the sweet song!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Or you clowns  rev-rev at every freakin stop or change of gears🙄

I gave that up years ago. 2 counts correctly as years, right?

The fun part of drag pipes is when they shoot a foot of blue flames out at night at full throttle hammering down the Hiway. Nice fireball when the rev limiter kicks in right at the shift point is a bonus.

New neighbors always say, oh we love Harleys! when they see mine. I always respond, oh you say that now... 

• Smile 1

I have the BMW Series 5 car horn on both my bikes.   It is louder than stock for sure and truly plug and play.  It's from a 5-series BMW car so even the connector is the same and no relay needed.  Just on bolt to swap out !!  the guy in the video makes it too complicated but you get the idea. 

Your local BMW Motorcycle dealer can order it for you.  Mine did for me and they actually keep them in stock now. 

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/PartNumberSearch.aspx?pnsearch=61338381271

• 1 month later...

The OEM horns on my R1150RT have never failed to get attention when I've needed them to. In fact, when I first bought the bike and tried the horn I nearly fell backwards. I was expecting a meep meep and instead got a pleasant reminder of my 1969 Chevy Impala.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't want to "get attention".....  I want them to shat in their pataloons. I want their wigs and toopues to be blown off their head.... yes melt their face off....  Ha ha. You can NEVER have a horn too loud on a motorcycle.... They are trying to kill you... 

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • 3 weeks later...

2019 R1250RT.  I Installed t pair of PIAA Superior Bass https://www.piaa.com/store/p/392-Automotive-Superior-Bass-Horn-330/400Hz.aspx.  I used a relay from Eastern Beaver: https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Horns/horns.html .  Horns are powered directly off the battery. 

WARNING:  do not hit the horn button in enclosed spaces without hearing protection. PERMANENT HEARING DAMAGE MAY RESULT.

R21A-Bumble

Just bought 2 pair of the 1150RT horns to install on my GS bikes. Thanx to someone's post here.

• Like 1

I was wonder why people looking for louder horn, I own one of those R1150rt, I think the horn will push you backwards. You get much louder and hearing protection will be required. 

• Plus 1 1