IGNORED

2002 R1150RT ABS Question

RandallBT

Does anyone know if there is any difference between using the pedal or using the hand caliper when braking with this system. For example, if I'm braking quickly from 60mph to 30mph, I don't really notice any difference using one or the other. Is that how this system works? Or does the pedal "favor" the rear and the hand caliper the front?

I it's computer integrated.  I had the same bike for 15 years. The foot pedal also actuates the front brakes which was a complaint for people starting from a stop, or doing a u turn. Someone correct me if I am wrong. 

Loved the bike. The brakes worked perfect for me.

Yea, I'm fine with how they work too. No issues at all. Curious though how the servo applies the brakes and if there's any difference between hand or foot actuation.

19 hours ago, RandallBT said:

Does anyone know if there is any difference between using the pedal or using the hand caliper when braking with this system. For example, if I'm braking quickly from 60mph to 30mph, I don't really notice any difference using one or the other. Is that how this system works? Or does the pedal "favor" the rear and the hand caliper the front?

Afternoon RandallBT

There is a slight difference but the difference if sort of complicated to explain. 

Basically the ABS electronics manages the braking bias & that is based on past braking events & tire traction. 

If you use just the front lever to brake then the ABS computer manages the braking front/rear bias. This front/rear bias is derived from braking pressure (seen inside the ABS module) + front & rear traction/spool-down speeds (a little more to it than that but that is the basics).

If you use a lot of additional rear brake pedal pressure that can skew the learned braking bias slightly so your best (best managed) braking is with just the front brake lever  (this is on the 1150RT as other models can be different if not fully integrated). 

But most riders do use a little rear brake pedal input just to keep/maintain that front lever/rear pedal muscle memory.  

Now if using just the rear brake pedal you get just a little more initial rear braking due to the internal apply pressure on internal reaction pistons. Under hard braking the ABS computer will even it out.

I got 2004 RT bike in july and It took a little getting used to. Wait until you brake on gravel road with ABS.  You will learn to tune out the wizzy noise too. 

19 hours ago, dirtrider said:

There is a slight difference but the difference if sort of complicated to explain.

Good morning, DR!

Excellent explanation. It explains why I'm not noticing a difference between pedal and handle when hard braking, but I do notice a bit of difference when light braking. I'd chalked it up to a difference in leverage, but there really isn't any. This makes more sense. 

So it learns, eh?

As for comments about the front brake touchiness, Years ago I had a Vulcan 1600 and the front brake would lock up if you breathed on it wrong. And the rear? Locked up way too easily, resulting in the rear sliding to starboard. Always. I once had to panic stop from high speed in the rain, resulting in a series of mini fishtails as I gently pumped the rear brakes! Not fun. I'll miss those days.....