IGNORED

R1100, R1150, R1250GS, K1200 etc Gas Filler Cap Gasket Removal

Christo

Greetings. 

I would have thought this question would have been asked many times, but I cannot find.

Does anyone know the proper way to remove the typical gas cap gasket for replacement?  Apparently this gas cap core is used on a great many models and years. And thanks to DR's earlier post, I found the gasket at Euro Moto here: https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/3321.htm

I also have a newer cap from a '06 K bike (2nd pic), and removed the three screws, and can swap the seal assembly, but I'd like to know how to get the assembly apart if possible (without bending or breaking).

Thanks in advance! 

20231106_131118.jpg

20231106_181002.jpg

• Christo changed the title to R1100, R1150, R1250GS, K1200 etc Gas Filler Cap Gasket Removal

I would guess looking at it, it would stretch over.  I just replaced the oring under cap to tank. Previous owner shot it full of silicon bath caulk and gas and age was eating it up. Was able to roll oring over cap. 

Thanks JR and Redfoxx. Good ideas. I tried both (lightly). From what I can tell, the black center core and the black base are one piece, and the orange/red clip are pushed on and snapped in at the factory. So, would be difficult to unsnap without marring. But if someone has tried it, please let me know.

I think stretching the gasket over is the way to go. I tried removing it that way but it is quite stiff. The new one should be easier to install. For now I may just swap the assemblies, and attempt to gasket swap on the old one.

28 minutes ago, Christo said:

Thanks JR and Redfoxx. Good ideas. I tried both (lightly). From what I can tell, the black center core and the black base are one piece, and the orange/red clip are pushed on and snapped in at the factory. So, would be difficult to unsnap without marring. But if someone has tried it, please let me know.

I think stretching the gasket over is the way to go. I tried removing it that way but it is quite stiff. The new one should be easier to install. For now I may just swap the assemblies, and attempt to gasket swap on the old one.

If you go with stretching the gasket over I suggest heating the new gasket and using plenty of lube, should slide right on.

10 hours ago, Bluenoser said:

If you go with stretching the gasket over I suggest heating the new gasket and using plenty of lube, should slide right on.

Good advice! I did just that (except no applied heat). Key is to start with small arc over the edge and work it little by little, like a tiny tire.  

• Like 1