IGNORED

FREE Lifetime Driveshaft Replacement by BMW

RadioFlyer

Kasommer

For US riders.

I had to go around with my dealer for a little bit on this. (2016 R1200RT with 38,500 miles). Just got it resolved. 

I had my bike in for new tires and to perform other services that needed to be done.  36,000 mile service was performed in September 2023  — before the announcement of the drive shaft bulletin. The dealer said nothing showed up for my bike related to the driveshaft change.  

Below is the compilation of email statements I received from BMW NA when I inquired directly. Once I got this answer the dealer still had to confirm the work was covered under warranty.  So the lesson is the dealers may not know. 

Per the driveshaft maintenance schedule, the replacement of the cardan shaft (driveshaft) is required every 36,000 Miles (60.000 km).  Your vehicle would qualify for the cardan shaft replacement. 

Please contact your preferred Motorrad dealer to setup an appointment to perform the replacement.They should reference Driveshaft Maintenance Schedule Change, SI 33 04 23.”

I am a little miffed that at first thinking the driveshaft change wasn’t applicable I had them perform a spline inspection and service. That’s a couple of Franklins I could use elsewhere.  

• Like 1
marcopolo

In never ceases to amaze me that there are dealers who don’t seem to be at all familiar with the Service Bulletins that BMW issues. The one referenced in that email is dated December 12, 2023. 

is this a multi-line dealer, or do they sell only BMWs?

P.S., that service bulletin is available in the downloads section, in the miscellaneous category, on this site.

• Like 2

Funny.  My dealer called me about 2 weeks after the release of the bulletin.  I think he was hoping to drum up some winter work for his crew.  Especially since I have 2 RT's I've purchased from him.  But he was asking to schedule the check/change already.

Don't have a trailer.  Couldn't take the bikes 250 miles in the winter...

You're going to have to help me find the downloads section.  I don't see it.

Thanks

On 3/27/2024 at 1:09 PM, marcopolo said:

is this a multi-line dealer, or do they sell only BMWs?

I've never seen a BMW-only bike dealer, with the only exception being the ALB dealer, which is shared with BMW cars. All other dealers are multi-line. But that doesn't excuse them not to be familiar with BMW. My dealer couldn't even reset a TFT maintenance warning, installed the battery backwards, grommets missing, and even the mirrors were all crooked. So everything they had to touch to prep the bike was done wrong. Turns out there was just one tech who specifically worked on BMWs, but was sick. That might be the case at other dealers too. Needless to say, I avoid that dealer like the plague. Ha ha. Bought me a GS911 to clear the errors, and ordered the missing parts, and called it a day. I'm getting my tires changed tomorrow, and of course I don't trust that dealer, so will take it to a non-BMW dealer and hope for the best. And yes, I called to asked them if they'd guarantee no damage to my wheels, and they never called back. So it's safe to assume they just don't have that capability. This other dealer said yes, so we'll see tomorrow:grin:.

Indy Dave
7 minutes ago, JCtx said:

I've never seen a BMW-only bike dealer, with the only exception being the ALB dealer, which is shared with BMW cars. All other dealers are multi-line. But that doesn't excuse them not to be familiar with BMW. My dealer couldn't even reset a TFT maintenance warning, installed the battery backwards, grommets missing, and even the mirrors were all crooked. So everything they had to touch to prep the bike was done wrong. Turns out there was just one tech who specifically worked on BMWs, but was sick. That might be the case at other dealers too. Needless to say, I avoid that dealer like the plague. Ha ha. Bought my a GS911 to clear the errors, and ordered the missing parts, and called it a day. I'm getting my tires changed tomorrow, and of course I don't trust that dealer, so will take it to a non-BMW dealer and hope for the best. And yes, I called to asked them if they'd guarantee no damage to my wheels, and they never called back. So it's safe to assume they just don't have that capability. This other dealer said yes, so we'll see tomorrow:grin:.

There ARE BMW ONLY dealers. Morton's, MAX, Bob's (until this year), etc.

• Like 2

That's good to know, but unless huge (and with several stores), it's hard to make it on a premium bike brand alone. And for the record, I said 'I've never seen a BMW-only dealer', not that there aren't any:D.

1 hour ago, JCtx said:

I've never seen a BMW-only bike dealer, with the only exception being the ALB dealer, which is shared with BMW cars. All other dealers are multi-line. But that doesn't excuse them not to be familiar with BMW. My dealer couldn't even reset a TFT maintenance warning, installed the battery backwards, grommets missing, and even the mirrors were all crooked. So everything they had to touch to prep the bike was done wrong. Turns out there was just one tech who specifically worked on BMWs, but was sick. That might be the case at other dealers too. Needless to say, I avoid that dealer like the plague. Ha ha. Bought me a GS911 to clear the errors, and ordered the missing parts, and called it a day. I'm getting my tires changed tomorrow, and of course I don't trust that dealer, so will take it to a non-BMW dealer and hope for the best. And yes, I called to asked them if they'd guarantee no damage to my wheels, and they never called back. So it's safe to assume they just don't have that capability. This other dealer said yes, so we'll see tomorrow:grin:.

Yeah ... you need to find a new dealer.   My local BMW dealer also sells other European brands but BMW Is their bread and butter.  They are one of the largest BMW dealers (based on BMW's sold) and their techs are great.   They have 2 BMW Master Techs and I have never had an issue.   I never need to ask if they guarantee to not damage my wheels as then never do but on the rare chance they have an issue they ALWAYS make it right. As Dave noted there are now 2 BMW only dealers and they seem to be doing well.  Heck Max pretty much owns the Northeast.  

• Like 1

Forgot to say I buy all of my parts (and tires) from Max. Best prices (along with other discount dealers), free shipping (now above a certain amount), and what is great for me, no tax. So I'm contributing for them to remain BMW only:D. And yes, I wish they (or yours) were my dealer indeed. Hope I never need one. Now that my warranty will expire in Oct, might look for an indie, just in case.