IGNORED

Tires-What is normally a simple thing

Redfoxx

I would love to ask what everyone is running but that would be off my topic.

I was looking at replacing my Michelin Road 4 GT 170/60-r 17 with possibly a new set, But it looks like the rear tire does not exist anymore as a 4GT,

Looks like the only one Michelin makes that fits now is Road 6, but checked many online retailers and the tire is out of stock. 

I was even looking at Continental, but of course the Road Attack also appears to be out of stock, everywhere I look. 

What are people using instead of or does everyone have secret tire vendors. 

Dunlop Roadsmart is available in that size. I started with the Roadsmart II, went to the Roadsmart III, and now have the Roadsmart IV. Each is better than the last, but even the Roadsmart II served me well, and is darn inexpensive to boot.

• Plus 1 1

Thanks I will check that one out. I been bikeless for a while and went from wing (100K miles) to RT (now 1k miles for me), ran Dunlops on wing much heavier tire.  I did like these Road 4gt's but on to something new and different I am guessing. I just could not believe how many out of stock tires. 

I'm on my second set of Dunlop RS III's and couldn't be happier with their grip (including the rain), wear (no cupping even at higher mileage) and lack of noise when near the end of their life.

I was going to switch to RS4's but the 3's were pretty cheap so I'll run these and maybe switch to 4's. (A set of RS III's is currently $240/set on Revzilla)

I had a set of Michelin Pilot Road's before but they started cupping pretty early and the subsequent noise that came with that. And damn, they sure were expensive!

• Smile 1

Working on about 500 miles with my new Dunlop Roadsmart IV's. No complaints so far. But I gotta think anything's better than those 15 year old wagon wheel Metzeler's that came with my bike. Plenty of tread left but very few tread grooves were without long cracks....... They were an ambulance ride waiting to happen.

11 hours ago, RandallBT said:

Working on about 500 miles with my new Dunlop Roadsmart IV's. No complaints so far. But I gotta think anything's better than those 15 year old wagon wheel Metzeler's that came with my bike. Plenty of tread left but very few tread grooves were without long cracks....... They were an ambulance ride waiting to happen.

Just yesterday I ordered a Roadsmart 4 for the rear of my 1100r. I've been through 8 sets of Bridgestone Battlax in the last 60,000 miles and fancied a change.

The Bridgestones are a noisy tyre, making a loud hissing/roaring when doing any sort of speed. It took me a while to locate the noise, but riding over a patch of strange smooth asphalt one day, a road repair, the noise went away entry. I have just fitted a set to a Japanese bike I bought, that came with 20 year of original tyres on, and I noticed the noise as soon as I rode it on the new rubber. Ive herd the Dunlops are quieter, and better wearing. 

On 11/7/2023 at 7:12 AM, 9Mary7 said:

Denniskirk.com has Roadsmart 3's for $270 a set...........FWIW.

I can actually dive over there 40 minutes, I did find them, it took a few try's to find them

DUNLOP Sportmax Roadsmart III Tire

and several other would show. but did find them. 

Thanks

Just so many decisions 

On 11/7/2023 at 7:19 AM, RPG said:

I'm on my second set of Dunlop RS III's and couldn't be happier with their grip (including the rain), wear (no cupping even at higher mileage) and lack of noise when near the end of their life.

I was going to switch to RS4's but the 3's were pretty cheap so I'll run these and maybe switch to 4's. (A set of RS III's is currently $240/set on Revzilla)

I had a set of Michelin Pilot Road's before but they started cupping pretty early and the subsequent noise that came with that. And damn, they sure were expensive!

I got my bike with Michelin Road Pilot 4 gts, rear is worn flat in center and front is pretty even. They are both at 3mm in the middle and a lot on edges, when I bought I should have looked closer at middles. They ride very nice, and corner well, but new to BMW - previous bike was a 1200 Aspencade.  

It all comes down to how much money I want to spend. Its hard to find much bad out there, been stongly looking Michelin Roads, Continental Road Attacks,  and Dunlop Road Smart.  And very limited to certain models to get a set. 

On my second set of PIlot 6 GT's now and talked to Dunlop directly about the RoadSmart IV's recently and why I couldn't find their 'heavy' GT version in the U.S. They explained that they don't sell the GT's in the U.S., only the standard. GT's ship to Europe.

I do my own tire changes and it's all about the mileage after I find a tire with excellent feel like the Pilot 6's (but I can't get much over 6,000 on a rear tire with them,) so I bought a RoadSmart IV GT from Greece for $235 ( plus $40 shipping, $20 tax) and it arrived on Monday. I'll definitely watch how much mileage  I get on that one once the Pilot wears out. (If I get 10,000 on the Dunlop, I'm a happy camper, and at 8,000 I still won't complain. I'll buy from them again. Tire changes are a PITA.)

At $295 total for the Dunlop, it's comparably expensive to the Pilot 6 GT's which cost me $285 each. Pricey tires regardless.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:47 PM, SANTA said:

i just did a set of bridgestone  T32,   as you said, mich has forgotten  us using what was a common size at one point,

Yes, it seems like fronts in almost anything is easy, then you go to the rear and the headache begins. They dont make, or Out of stock.

i am still contemplating cheap or expensive.  but right now I am planning on putting my tupperware back on so I can ride this week temps in 50 plus. Did valves and carbs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like all the sport touring tyres from the major brands. Dunlop RS3s were a favourite, and currently running Angel GTs which are great too. I just get the cheapest pair deal i can get out of the top sport touring brands, and have never been let down. 

I'm a little late to the party but I ran a set of Michelin Road 6 on my 04RT. Not the GT's -straight Road 6. They are fantastic! I've got around 10000 miles on them since early August & they work very well in the wet, heat, highway & twisties. The feel is so much better than the Road 4 GTs that were on the bike when I got it (put around 7k on them)! It's time for a new front, it's spent but I think I've got maybe 1500 miles left on the rear. I do a lot of highway miles, love twisty roads but in my area, those don't compare to the roads in the southeast & I did a track day on them -definitely recommend them.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:16 AM, Paddler said:

I've been running Metzler Z8s on mine.  Happy with them.

Same here. Prefer them to the Avon Storm Ultra's I used previously. 

Bike's an R1100RS and would have gone for Michelin PR3 but fitter unable to get them. PR4 isn't available in an 18".

over the yrs i have run, metzlers z4 on bike new, michelins pilot road 2,3,4,5 bridgestone bt23 and currently t32's. road rated all have been good, but the PR3 went 12000 mi.

On 11/6/2023 at 5:41 PM, Redfoxx said:

I would love to ask what everyone is running but that would be off my topic.

I was looking at replacing my Michelin Road 4 GT 170/60-r 17 with possibly a new set, But it looks like the rear tire does not exist anymore as a 4GT,

Looks like the only one Michelin makes that fits now is Road 6, but checked many online retailers and the tire is out of stock. 

I was even looking at Continental, but of course the Road Attack also appears to be out of stock, everywhere I look. 

What are people using instead of or does everyone have secret tire vendors. 

Roadsmart III in that size on Amazon for $132

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Tires-Roadsmart-Rear-60-17/dp/B06XC1CXC6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=170+60+17+motorcycle+tire&qid=1701218223&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d

18 hours ago, SANTA said:

sounds like its the same problem everywhere, only pr6 but not in stock. hence i figured why wait for spring, do it now .

I am still looking the only one in stock seems to be the Dunlop, I did ride a very little last week 27F out and now snow out. So I think I am completely done for winter.

So that leave time to try to figure and find some tires since I need both. I was hedging toward Continental but can only get front so far. 

• 2 weeks later...
Brodiepunker18
On 11/29/2023 at 2:41 PM, Redfoxx said:

I am still looking the only one in stock seems to be the Dunlop, I did ride a very little last week 27F out and now snow out. So I think I am completely done for winter.

So that leave time to try to figure and find some tires since I need both. I was hedging toward Continental but can only get front so far. 

Do you have the 18” rear? I’m just curious. Because I know that does put a damper on what you can get for tires.

luckily for me, I have the optional spoked rims on my 99 r1100rt so I have the 17” rear and 18” front…so my options are more plentiful.

9 hours ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

Do you have the 18” rear? I’m just curious. Because I know that does put a damper on what you can get for tires.

luckily for me, I have the optional spoked rims on my 99 r1100rt so I have the 17” rear and 18” front…so my options are more plentiful.

I have 17 inch rear. the 170 60 zr 17,  I was have difficulty finding rear. but ended up with  a set of Michelin Road 6s.

On 11/7/2023 at 5:59 AM, Joe Coastie said:

Pirelli Angel GT is a good choice also.

Can't speak about the Angel GT ll ask have no experience with it.

I put a set of Angel GTs on my 650 Vstrom and absolutely loved them. It made an already good handling bike even better no matter if it was dry or wet, no matter if I was going in  a straight line or spirited riding through the Mountains of TN/NC/AR.  I've thought about replacing the tires on my RT (Pilot Road 4's) with the Angels GTs but the RoadSmarts seem to be an almost unanimous choice for the bike. I'm not to satisfied with the way the bike handles yet. It doesn't seem to be what I read about that it was supposed to be. Still trying to be open  minded and reminding myself that I'm coming from a lighter different style bike to the RT. I have a feeling that replacing the Pilot Roads (8yo now) will make a big difference. It may also be that I've never had a telelever bike or maybe the ESA is just shot at 29,000 miles. I'll get it sorted. 

I run the angel GT on my 1100 RT

10,000 and counting on the rear.

Kenda KM1 on the front, haven't checked the mileage on it lately, but seems to be wearing well.

The best I can come up with with the maintenance records I have was the Michelin Road 4GTs had about 12,000 miles on them and they still had a solid 3mm tread in center. They were almost 11 years old. I would say with tread I likely could have gone at least 2-3000 miles more out of them if no age problems or heavy rain. 

I replaced now since I am working on my punch list of maintenance items, and since it is snow and ice outside made it a good time, so when spring arrive I can just ride and not wrench. 

Already did valves,  valve cover gasket,  plugs, oil filer o rings, charcoal filter, fuel filter, fuel cap o ring,  fuel lines, quick couplers, valve chain tensioner, rear brake pads, transmission oil, engine oil, rear diff lube,  sync throttle bodies, 

Next and list is front brakes, brake lines, clutch fluid, battery,  guessing likely alternator belt. I am hoping clutch is a year away yet, and then I will go through drive train. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been saerching all the online stores for replacements for my Michelins on my 2000 R1100RT-P, the only thing (18" rear) I can find in stock here in the US is Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T32. Ordered a set this morning. Anyone have experience with these?

9 minutes ago, Bistro said:

I've been saerching all the online stores for replacements for my Michelins on my 2000 R1100RT-P, the only thing (18" rear) I can find in stock here in the US is Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T32. Ordered a set this morning. Anyone have experience with these?

I've used T31s on my previous FJR1300. Great tyres. I think the T32 will be great on the RT. 

• Like 1
On 12/28/2023 at 3:32 PM, Bistro said:

i got a set of the t32 earlier in the fall, ive had t23 a number of yrs back, they went well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
King Herald

I’ve just fitted a front Dunlop Roadsmart, to match the rear I fitted in November. First thing I noticed is it looks a lot skinnier, and narrower, despite being the same measurement as the Battlax rubber  I’ve been using for years.  

Second thing, the loud roaring hissing of tyre noise has gone. :18:

• Like 1

Slightly different bike; I have an 04 r1150r.   Called RevZilla and the agent strongly steered me away from any Dunlop product.  I had first inquired about rs3s, then Mutants. Ryan F9 videos recommended the Mutants as his new favorite tire. Anyway, i ended up with T32s, and there was a $50 rebate...   i haven't mounted them yet.

RogerC60
2 hours ago, Hank_B said:

Slightly different bike; I have an 04 r1150r.   Called RevZilla and the agent strongly steered me away from any Dunlop product.  I had first inquired about rs3s, then Mutants. Ryan F9 videos recommended the Mutants as his new favorite tire. Anyway, i ended up with T32s, and there was a $50 rebate...   i haven't mounted them yet.

I wonder if that has anything to do with this Dunlop RS3 recall:
Recall for 477 Dunlop RoadSmart III tyres - Tyrepress

120/70ZR17 is a common size for front tire on street-going oilheads.