IGNORED

SAE50 Eton transmission oil question.

Avian

At this point is a curiosity thing.

I have a case of SAE50 Chevron Delo manual transmission for big rigs. Wondering if I could use that in my R1100 m97 transmission or even the engine. On Castrol website it mentions SAE50 isn't strictly for transmission with copper parts.

Thanks 

20231104_185846.jpg

9 hours ago, Avian said:

At this point is a curiosity thing.

I have a case of SAE50 Chevron Delo manual transmission for big rigs. Wondering if I could use that in my R1100 m97 transmission or even the engine. On Castrol website it mentions SAE50 isn't strictly for transmission with copper parts.

Thanks 

Morning Avian

Could you use it?-- Possibly but that is a straight 50 weight that doesn't meet your 1100 5 speed weight requirement. Plus it might not meet the transmission GL-5 rating requirement.

Would I personally recommend using it-- No! 

I definitely wouldn't try to use it as engine oil.  

• Like 1
The Fabricator

As an anecdote, I used 50 wt in my old R100/7.  I was trying to make the engine mechanically quieter.

I don't remember any difference in the noise.

When I removed the oil filter after running 50wt for a while, the oil filter had ruptured.  The cold oil was too thick to pass through  the paper.

• Like 1

Run the recommended oil. It solves a lot of problems and answers most questions.

How often do we try to save a dollar but wonder if it will work?

Spend the dollar, sleep easy.

31 minutes ago, The Fabricator said:

As an anecdote, I used 50 wt in my old R100/7.  I was trying to make the engine mechanically quieter.

I don't remember any difference in the noise.

When I removed the oil filter after running 50wt for a while, the oil filter had ruptured.  The cold oil was too thick to pass through  the paper.

Afternoon Fabricator

Different animals, you used 50 weight engine oil, Avian wants to use 50 weight MT-1 GEAR OIL. Those are rated on completely different viscosity rating scales. 

It is difficult to get an apples to apples comparison of motor oil to gear oil  but if you grab a 100°c rating point 50 weight gear oil is about equivalent to 0 weight motor oil. 

But the additive packages between gear oil & motor oil is also WAY different.  

• Like 1