IGNORED

Has anyone imported a bike from UK/Europe

waltroman

Looking at a bike in the UK and I found a company there that will pick up the bike at the sellers home and build a custom wood crate and ship the bike to the US (port of Baltimore) at a very good price. I believe I can contract a company to facilitate the costs on my end but unsure who to get to help with the paperwork. The bike is a 1993 R100RS emissions is not an issue. I know I will have to arrange a lic. shipper to pick up at the port.

John Ranalletta

I bought a ‘75 Ducati already imported to the US but not registered and licensed at time of purchase.  I needed a customs clearance, EPA cert (pre) EPA , etc.  

My local BMV provided a list of all the documents they required. It was quite a list.  I’d check with your BMV. Probably varies by state. Good luck. 

13 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I bought a ‘75 Ducati already imported to the US but not registered and licensed at time of purchase.  I needed a customs clearance, EPA cert (pre) EPA , etc.  

My local BMV provided a list of all the documents they required. It was quite a list.  I’d check with your BMV. Probably varies by state. Good luck. 

when was this, John? I see lots of 25+ year old JDM vehicles here in the PNW - the few shops that retail them also list similar Japanese bikes. My understanding was that if the vehicle is older than 25 years and was NOT available here it’s pretty easy to bring it in and get it titled. Maybe not?

John Ranalletta
11 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

when was this, John? I see lots of 25+ year old JDM vehicles here in the PNW - the few shops that retail them also list similar Japanese bikes. My understanding was that if the vehicle is older than 25 years and was NOT available here it’s pretty easy to bring it in and get it titled. Maybe not?

2008.  The Ducati was imported in parts in a crate with household goods; thus, the seller didn't have a US customs document.  As I recall (I did not retain the docs after selling the bike), even though the Ducati was manufactured pre-EPA regs, I needed a document attesting to same.  I believe the 750GT was available in US.  I just remember visiting customs and EPA offices, hat in hand, begging for signatures.

A dealer who knows the regs likely handles these issues much more easily.