IGNORED

Cam/Valve Tools

aternie

I am hitting a wall trying to find a way to purchase the DIY cam chain tensioner.  I have an order in with BMW N America and as you probably know, the ETA keeps shifting to the right . . .now first quarter 2024.   Any suggestions?

Ernie

30 minutes ago, aternie said:

I am hitting a wall trying to find a way to purchase the DIY cam chain tensioner.  I have an order in with BMW N America and as you probably know, the ETA keeps shifting to the right . . .now first quarter 2024.   Any suggestions?

Ernie

You are not the only one - they seem to be very hard to get. We happen to have a guy here that's an option, but his availability is limited too and I don't know if he is open to selling individual bits. Here is a link to sets he had for sale recently:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, aternie said:

Thanks for the reply.  I found the tensioner and sleeve at a dealer today. 

So you’re saying posting here magically solved your problem? That’s fantastic :)

• Smile 1

I saw these manual chain tensioners for sale on a popular marketplace. I wonder if they would do the trick? $105 for a pair. I imagine only one would be required?

IMG_7545.jpeg

3 hours ago, BABABeemer said:

I saw these manual chain tensioners for sale on a popular marketplace. I wonder if they would do the trick? $105 for a pair. I imagine only one would be required?

IMG_7545.jpeg

As I understand it,  manual tensioners like these do not perform the same as the adjustment tensioner for aligning cams. The manuals allow the motorcycle to be operated without hydraulic tensioners. The cam adjustment tensioner puts way more pressure on the chain solely so that the cams can be aligned properly.

(You can't run the bike with an adjustment tensioner in place.)

• Plus 1 1

I already bought this in an effort to make a Cam Chain Tensioner specifically needed if you are doing the Cam Alignment Adjustment. 

There was nothing I could use from these and I ended up wasting my money. 
It was the same thing with the eBay TDC pin and WetHead Alignment Jig…unacceptable poor quality machining and sloppy tolerances that could cause you to actually make the Cam Timing WORSE that when you started!

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 2
3 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

There was nothing I could use from these and I ended up wasting my money. 

Well, you learned something - so that should be worth something. At least that's what they kept telling me when I was writing those tuition checks in college...