IGNORED

Adventure Spec Magadan MK3s Panniers Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Adventure Spec Magadan Review intro

Hard vs. Soft Luggage: Why I Chose the Adventure Spec Magadan MK3s?

Much has been said about hard versus soft luggage, and the right solution differs for everyone.  For my part, I tend to lean toward aluminum panniers. That said, I travel around the world on a small Honda NX250, so here are my considerations and why I chose the Adventure Spec Magadan MK3s.

Adventure Spec Magadan Review 1

Soft luggage is lighter and doesn’t necessarily require a full metal frame other than backing plates to keep it away from the rear wheel, exhaust pipe, and bodywork. The Magadans are universally compatible with just about any backing plate, so I made a small one that doubles as a tool roll and a track stand.

Many riders claim hard boxes carry more cargo than soft luggage. And while higher-capacity hard luggage is readily available, soft luggage rivaling that kind of volume is harder to find. The Magadan MK3s have a 64-liter capacity, which is plenty to fit everything I need.

The Magadans also include plenty of MOLLE webbing on the outer surfaces, allowing for the customization of load-outs. For this, I opted for two of the large Adventure Spec ADV Layer Pouches to hold rain gear and the bike cover. These accessory pockets could be a bit larger, though.

One of the main arguments in favor of aluminum panniers is their strength and waterproofness. So, how did the soft-sided Magadans compare?

Made with 1000D Cordura, the Magadans are plenty burly and stand up to abuse. The inner waterproof bag protects the contents from the elements, and while not as strong as aluminum, the bags can be easily repaired using nothing more than a needle and thread.

Sure, hard panniers are easy to detach and hold their shape. However, the Adventure Spec Magadan panniers are not too tricky to mount and dismount. Riders can use the included over-seat cinch straps to secure them; all you need to do is unclip the straps to lift them off the bike.

Adventure Spec Magadan Review strap

The Magadans are obviously not stiff like aluminum, but they do have sewn-in plastic sheets to keep them open. In my opinion, these sheets could be even stronger. Once packed with the large buckles closed, the MK3s hold their shape and sit stable for planted handling during the ride. Note that if hard panniers are damaged, they can easily lose their waterproofness, while the Magadans can be easily patched, or the internal liner replaced.

Hard panniers are lockable and are more difficult to steal off the bike. Soft luggage does not have that luxury. However, the Magadans throw-over strap system leaves room for a lockable top box on the rear rack. As for riding safety, soft luggage has another advantage: There are no hard corners or edges if your foot is trapped underneath the bike in a crash.

For me, the much lighter Magadan MK3s are the perfect alternative to hard boxes, and less weight means more confidence and fun on my travels.

Adventure Spec Magadan Review 2

Adventurespec.com

MSRP: $349

PROS:

• Very light yet generous 64-liter capacity
  • Throw-over strap system fits almost any bike
  • Dual layer system protects inner waterproof bag in the event of a tumble

CONS:

• The sewn-in plastic side wall could be harder
  • The Large Layer Pouch could be a little bigger
  • Cannot be locked and secured like hard luggage can

Read more ...