IGNORED

Best non-BMW liner bags that fit the R1250R touring cases

JCtx

Hey gang. I'm not the touring kind; rather trailer the bike to a 'base', and ride several days from there. Then move to a different location (or go home). I don't need touring cases for that; just my trusty tail bag. But my cousin (from Miami) and I are thinking of riding the Pacific Highway, which would force us to do at least 4 days (leaving car/trailer in San Luis Obispo, or thereabouts), which would require bags. So I'm thinking of taking advantage of the current 25% off on accessories (until Nov 12, with code PREBF23), although it'd still be a whopping $937.50 (vs $1,250... + tax). And the required liners would be an additional $262.50 (vs $350), which is utterly ridiculous. And that brings me to options there. The OEM bags are  simply superior to anything else, so no alternative there for me, since they're very well integrated. But no way I'd pay for the OEM liners. So what about these on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Bestem-LGBM-K16-SDL-Saddlebag-K1600GT-R1200RT/dp/B00IAQ7TGE/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1MIJN63JBB5LW&keywords=BMW+R1250R+liner+bags&qid=1698779998&sprefix=bmw+r1250r+liner+bags%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-16&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Guess my question is if the R1200RT bags are the same shape/volume as the R1250R/RS ones??? I had a 2014 RT, but never used them, so need your help. I know the newest RTs have integrated bags (with central locking), so probably different  (and larger). Thanks gang.

The bags are a slightly different shape but the liners I have (Kathy's out of VA) work for me just fine. I have a friend who has those Bestem  products and he is well pleased with them...  I don't think you can go wrong at that price!                     

+1 on Kathy's journey bags. Very high quality and much lower cost than oem. Watch the classifieds as they occasionally come up for sale. But act quickly, because they go fast.

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

+1 on Kathy's journey bags. Very high quality and much lower cost than oem. Watch the classifieds as they occasionally come up for sale. But act quickly, because they go fast.

Absolutely Kathy’s Journey Bags.   Better than any other liners and made in the USA right here in Floyd VA and guaranteed for life !

And if you are in the area you can stop in buy your liners and say hi to Kathy!

IMG_7588.thumb.jpeg.ffa5ac20a140ce3443593677b747c669.jpegIMG_7590.thumb.jpeg.fb453ba0679a1384ed36c95acbddafa5.jpegIMG_7591.thumb.jpeg.ddfe70bd4f34c7508d05aab2da7d18bb.jpegIMG_7589.thumb.jpeg.10e7c11a93b4e134b1a392ea714b1e71.jpeg

• Like 3

Thank you very much guys. Looked the Kathy liners up, and they definitely look better than the Bestems IMO... but I'd probably just use them once (if at all), so the Bestems are probably the better choice for me, at less than 1/3rd the price (Kathy's are $171). By the way, found these other Bestems, so wondering which of the 2 are the better fit: https://www.amazon.com/Bestem-LGBM-R12RT-SDL-CP-Saddlebag-Sideliners-R1200RT/dp/B005RA6W8W?ref_=ast_sto_dp . Noticed the ones I posted first are for the K1600, so these ones should fit better, no? And they're a few bucks cheaper to boot. Thanks again for all the great help:).

If you’re looking for the cheapest price then I’m probably no help. That being said keep in mind whatever you buy you can sell after your trip and as Randy noted Kathy’s liners sell quick on the secondary market. 

I did what you’re considering when I was renting a Harley bagger for a 3 week trip a few years back.  Bought Bestem liners on the cheap and sold them after the trip.  Took awhile to sell them and they worked just ok.  I’d probably do it differently if I had to do it over again.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

7 hours ago, JCtx said:

Thank you very much guys. Looked the Kathy liners up, and they definitely look better than the Bestems IMO... but I'd probably just use them once (if at all), so the Bestems are probably the better choice for me, at less than 1/3rd the price (Kathy's are $171). By the way, found these other Bestems, so wondering which of the 2 are the better fit: https://www.amazon.com/Bestem-LGBM-R12RT-SDL-CP-Saddlebag-Sideliners-R1200RT/dp/B005RA6W8W?ref_=ast_sto_dp . Noticed the ones I posted first are for the K1600, so these ones should fit better, no? And they're a few bucks cheaper to boot. Thanks again for all the great help:).

Morning JCtx

"but I'd probably just use them once (if at all)"

If just a one time deal, for bag liners, why not just use plastic garbage bags? Waterproof, very inexpensive, & disposable. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 3

I have those Amazon ones and aside from the huge K1600GT emblazoned on the side, they are excellent bags. I just covered the K logo with some rally patches.

I purchased the Bestem bags for my R1250RT, they're fine. For two or four times a year that I'll be using them, they'll last a long time 

Thanks for the suggestion guys. The trip would be at least 2 weeks, so no garbage bags for me. Plus I'd be doing a disservice to BMW owners if somebody filmed me. Ha ha. And I saw those 'K1600' labeled liners, but no way I'd buy those. The ones I posted first didn't have that, but the second ones are specific for R bikes, so will buy those instead. And finally, I wouldn't bother selling them later; I'd just include them with the cases, when I eventually sell them (probably with the bike). Thank you guys; greatly appreciate the help.

Sounds like you'd like to have a set for your ride.  I got liners over 20 years ago for my 02R1150RT from Helen of Helen 2 Wheels.  That product isn't available anymore.  If I was in the market today I'd get the Kathy’s Journey Bags.  Like me you may find yourself keeping them for future bikes. 

Just and fyi, since the cases are waterproof you don't need waterproof bags.

• Like 1

@JCtx I have a set of Kathy's bag liners that I used a few times with my (departed) 2015 R1200RT. They are clean and in really good condition. I you think they would work for you and you are interested, DM me and I will make it worth your while.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

@JCtx I have a set of Kathy's bag liners that I used a few times with my (departed) 2015 R1200RT. They are clean and in really good condition. I you think they would work for you and you are interested, DM me and I will make it worth your while.

BAM!   There you go!  Can't beat that with a stick! 

Motorhead1977

@JCtx, the RT bags are a different shape and volume than the R/RS bags. I think the RT bag liners would be too large but I've never checked them against each other except that I was able to use my factory Goldwing bag liners in my RT but no way can I use those in my RS bags.

Motorhead1977
4 hours ago, RTinNC said:

That’s the beauty of Kathy’s liner,  they are soft and flexible.  I’m pretty sure they’d work and certainly worth a try

Perhaps I should have expressed it differently. The factory Goldwing bag liners are also soft and flexible so I can make them fit inside the RS bags but when packed up they can easily be "too large" unlike a bag liner that's sized for the pannier it's going to be used in. i.e. I couldn't shove enough stuff into the Goldwing bag liners such that they wouldn't fit in the Goldwing hard cases.

Hey gang, thank you for all the additional comments. I ordered the Bestem bags for the old RT and R1200R (the 2nd link I posted), to get free shipping, for some cheap crap my wife needed. They should fit fine, since I'm almost sure the R1200R bags are identical to the R1250R ones. And apparently also the same as old RTs, but we'll see.

• Like 2

Thank you for the information on Kathy's bags .  This is great :) .   FYI  I use a Milwaukee tool bags currently and they work pretty good , and I get them with various tools kits bought over the years .  They keep the inside on my cases undamaged and looking good .   I'm going to order a set from Kathy before my next long trip across the USA .   

• Like 1