IGNORED

Lost phone (Longish, but a good ending)

RandyShields

On Sunday, I joined my friend Joe, with his new Tuareg, for a meandering, break-in ride from Charlotte to a lunch spot in scenic Lake Lure, about 125 miles away the long way.  Even though this was one of the last 80°+ days of the year before near freezing overnight temps would set in, the early morning departure was pretty cool.  The countryside was lovely as we dodged all the trees aggressively tossing leaves at us, and we were the first to arrive at Lured Market and Grill for outstanding, creative food.  The ride home was a bit longer, but now shirtsleeve temps under our jackets.  It was looking like a perfect end of the season ride until my final gas stop a few miles from home.  The shock – no cell phone in my tank bag.  A later, more thorough – dump everything out and search all jacket and pants pockets confirmed my fear – I must have left in on the table at the Grill before the ride home. 

I immediately borrowed my wife’s phone and called the restaurant.  No one had turned a phone in, but they would look for it and ask around. A later return call let me know – no phone.

After sulking and trying to think about next steps, I messaged Joe with my predicament.  I replied that, as an Android phone, I didn’t think it had a phone locator function like Apple phones.  But I was wrong!  He sent me a YouTube link to a convenient Find My Device tool on Google.  Opening up the tool on my laptop, it showed the phone’s location at the very back of the restaurant property!  Maybe I inadvertently threw the phone in the trash with the stuff on my lunch tray and it was in a trash bin?  Even though it was getting late, I couldn’t bear the thought of having to replicate all my info and apps on a new phone, so I hopped in my car for the 2+ hour trek back to Lake Lure, intent on doing some dumpster diving.  Getting there at 9 pm, it was pitch black.  I tried dialing the number with my wife’s phone, but I was met with only silence.  I could not use the Google tool’s 5-minute ringer function because I couldn’t get a WiFi signal on the laptop.  There was no dumpster, but I found several large bags of trash sitting outside on the side of the building.  Using my car headlights and a flashlight, I gingerly rooted through the bags (yuck) but came up empty.  My concern was whether locking the phone earlier with the tool was not letting it ring when I called it.  So, easy solution – I threw the bags of trash in my trunk to check with the locator tool when I got home! 

At home at 11 pm, I was disappointed to discover from the tool that the phone was not sitting in a trash bag in my driveway but – what’s this – WTH -- the locator tool now shows the phone sitting on the side of US 64, 4.5 miles away from the restaurant, across from the Lake Lure power generating plant for the town dam??  I couldn’t deal with anything more and was stressed from the second round trip of the day, so tossed back a couple of bourbons and hit the sack for what was to be a restless night. 

The next morning, I used the tool’s lock phone feature several times, and it updated the supposed location – to a different spot each time: the other side of the road, inside the generating plant building, in a field next to the building, then back to the side of the road.  Well, at least the general location had been narrowed down even if the tool was slow and somewhat inaccurate.  If the phone truly was there, it probably got put onto the back seat of my GS, then slid off going around a turn in the road.  (It was obviously Joe’s fault for not seeing it and alerting me to the impending disaster when we left the restaurant.)

Shockingly, the phone must have stayed put on the seat for the 4.5 mile ride to that point but, what to do now?  Then a brainstorm – maybe the BMW Anonymous Book had a fellow rider in or near Lake Lure?  Sure enough, Dave Weiland (sp?) called me back and was more than happy to travel the short drive to the location near the power plant.  He had to park a ways away and walk because the side of the road where the phone looked to be had narrow shoulders and sharp drop offs to ditches.  I talked him towards the supposed phone location while watching the map on my laptop.  I turned on the 5-minute ringer from the finding tool.  “There is a phone case”, he stated. Then, “I think I hear something.”  Next, coming through his cell phone mic, I hear the sound of my phone’s unique ring tone!!  I let out a huge sigh of relief; the elation I felt with this recovery effort was palpable.

After I refused Dave’s kind offer to meet me part way towards Charlotte, I grabbed a Red Bull (to help with only 4 hours of sleep), stopped at CVS for a gift card, and made my third trip to Lake Lure in two days.  I know I was in the right place when I saw Dave’s K1600 bagger in his garage.  The phone case was toast, and three aluminum edges of the phone ground down, but it was still working!  Dave initially wouldn’t accept the gift card, but I insisted and he finally said ok.  Dave and I exchanged riding stories and pleasantries, and I gave him a pitch to join us at an upcoming ART.  I don’t know if we will see him or not, but I have a newfound friend.  I am so grateful for his kind assistance, and for the existence of the MOA Anonymous Book.  This was the first time I ever had to use it and I was thrilled that it served its purpose as intended.  Oh yeah, I’m planning on buying Joe’s next meal or three for turning me onto the Google Find My Device tool.  What a lifesaver.

• Like 13
  • Plus 1 1
12 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

It sounds like the making of a Bumbling Back Road Rider story for an award.

Oh, you're right.  I didn't even think of that!

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1

That's a great story. I could not find my android and used the finder application to locate it. I was directed to a corn field about 5 miles from my house. Wifey and I looked for an hour but no luck. I found it later that night on a shelf in my garage, Happy ending but weird about the finder application.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Oh yeah, I’m planning on buying Joe’s next meal or three for turning me onto the Google Find My Device tool.  What a lifesaver.

Glad you got the phone back.  I wasn't as lucky. 

Thursday. I made a client call in Batavia, IL.  On my drive home, I couldn't find my phone.  I backtracked to the client's but no one had seen it.  Once home about 10p, I used Find My iPhone to learn the phone was in a residential area about 5 miles from the client. I had put the phone on the car's roof while loading my jacket and briefcase before driving off.  I put a message on the iPhone's lock screen asking the person with the phone to call my wife's phone.  Nothing! 

Friday. I awoke about 2a to find the phone had been moved from the driveway to the back of the property in a garden shed.  I wiped the phone.  I used county GIS files and public property tax rolls and other databases to get the homeowner's names and telephone #.  The male listed on the tax rolls was on an FBI list of convicted pedophiles.  His address on the list corresponded to that on the tax rolls.  I left messages asking for the return of the phone throughout the day.  No response.

Saturday:   Sent an email to the local police dept with the guy's info, the FBI notice, etc. explaining that my phone had been found after I'd lost it; and, the people who owned the house where the phone was last located would not respond to my entreaties.  I never expected they might do anything about it and they didn't.  I mailed a copy of the email to the address and left another vmail offering a $50 reward + postage.

Sunday: Nothing.  More voicemails.

Monday: In a biz meeting when I get a call (likely prompted by the letter) from a woman whose name was in the records.  I asked why they hadn't responded to my requests and how could I get my phone back.  She responded, "It's not my goddam job to get your phone back to you" and hung up.  Nice people.

End of story.  In retrospect, I should have used the client's phone to call home and ask my wife to find my phone before leaving Batavia.

• Sad 1
John Ranalletta
3 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Way too close to Chicagoland.........not surprised.:dontknow:

You might think so but the house was in a moderately pricey neighborhood - $350000 and up based on the tax assessments.

I considered calling on the people my next trip but figured it could get pretty ugly and I wasn't going to carry in Illinois.

1 minute ago, John Ranalletta said:

I considered calling on the people my next trip but figured it could get pretty ugly and I wasn't going to carry in Illinois.

That is using the wisdom of grey hair for good John..... no benefit to a visit.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
John Ranalletta

Another one for the books...

We're on a Sunday ride west of Bloomington, IN and Ruth says over the comms, "I dropped my phone".  Ugh!

Pull over.  Use my phone to locate hers and it's in an intersection a mile or so back.  We backtrack, dismount, search the intersection and nada!  Used the FindMy app and located the phone in a rental storage business about a block north.  See pix.  I walked along the rows of storage buildings until I spotted a car at the far end but I couldn't get in.  Jumping up and down in my riding gear, I shouted, "Did you find an iPhone?"  A lady's voice responded, "How did you find us so quick?"  Anyway, she handed it over the fence and I gave her $10.

image.thumb.png.e0ba51776804db90b487e7d560c82622.png

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, AppFan said:

Good thing I know you like to eat at nice places

Thanks.  Yes, we'll get you to some good dining!

John Ranalletta

A technical question:  If a phone has a unique EID number and the phone is lost or stolen, is it possible to prevent that phone from ever connecting to the net?

Is the phone locked for a specific provider?  Most phones that people purchase need to be unlocked to use within their network, or be approved for the cellular provider.

Maybe check with your phone company.

John Ranalletta
8 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Is the phone locked for a specific provider?  Most phones that people purchase need to be unlocked to use within their network, or be approved for the cellular provider.

Maybe check with your phone company.

Ours are locked to Verizon.  Wonder if V can keep a stolen phone off the network.  Does "locked" only refer to the SIM?

Randy, SO glad you got the phone back, and your writing is wonderful!   We've all had that 'moment' when the phone or wallet or keys isn't where they should be, and the restlessness that accompanies!  Great start to my day just before  4 and 2 year old grandsons come to play with us!

And the nearly two inches of snow means it's not a riding day.  Best news is the town decided to NOT treat the roads, so there will be more days to ride by the end of the week....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Ours are locked to Verizon.  Wonder if V can keep a stolen phone off the network.  Does "locked" only refer to the SIM?

You should also check with Apple, I was told that if the phone is stolen they havea way of preventing it from being reactivated as a phone. But luckily I have never tried it myself.

Verizon claims to remove the locked feature after 60 days, but does not explain what happens if stolen.   

Other research was mentioned that there are ways to change the IMEI to one that is not on a blacklist.  Check with Verizon to be sure.  The sim card may not be the issue, just the IMEI.

John Ranalletta
2 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Verizon claims to remove the locked feature after 60 days, but does not explain what happens if stolen.   

Other research was mentioned that there are ways to change the IMEI to one that is not on a blacklist.  Check with Verizon to be sure.  The sim card may not be the issue, just the IMEI.

Perhaps, put a dab of C4 in the phone and a remote detonator?

5 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

A technical question:  If a phone has a unique EID number and the phone is lost or stolen, is it possible to prevent that phone from ever connecting to the net?

There is a blacklist of IMEI numbers and theoretically that list should be checked before activation, and then the phone not activated if it's on the list. In theory carriers can/should do this whenever a phone is reported lost, but I think it doesn't always happen. There are also tools/software you can use to change IMEI and certainly places that will be locked/stolen phones - all of which of course is illegal, but...when did that ever stop anyone? 

I have in my desk drawer what I can only imagine is a stolen phone - dropped by a guy who was stealing my bike at the time - which I tried several times to get to the police. So far the phone cops haven't come for me...

3 hours ago, szurszewski said:

So far the phone cops haven't come for me...

There is so much phone theft/lost phone activity out there, that is all they would do if they engaged.  Likely why John R never got anyone to do anything about his situation when he gave them all the information they needed to knock on a door.

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

There is so much phone theft/lost phone activity out there, that is all they would do if they engaged.  Likely why John R never got anyone to do anything about his situation when he gave them all the information they needed to knock on a door.

I didn't even bother to file a report on my bike, but I was hoping to get the phone to them in case someone had reported it stolen and, you know, wanted it back. :(