IGNORED

BMW 1st Timer

81delorean

Hello all, just signed up on the forum. I just purchased my "new" 2005  R1200RT this past Saturday, first BMW ever. 29,000 miles and super clean, in better shape than I was even hoping for. Some of the basic maintenance has been done, I'm going to do the transmission oil, final drive and maybe the ABS this weekend or next if I get everything this week that I need to do it. Looking forward to learning about the bike. I've always had Japanese or Italian bikes, this bike seems quite a bit different. I just need to get out and get some miles on it and get used to the motor and handling. 

IMG_0895.JPG

• Like 4

Welcome to the board. 

What part of the world are you in? Wherever you are, you're sure to have a lot of fun with that RT. (Though if you're where I think that picture was taken, you might have to travel a bit to really put the RT in its element...)

Is it going to be sharing a garage with a Delorean? If so, we're going to need a pic of them together...

I'm in the USA, Northern Arkansas in the Ozark Mountains. Plenty of great riding roads around me plus I take a motorcycle trip to Eastern Tennessee every year to ride through TN and NC for 5 days.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, 81delorean said:

Hello all, just signed up on the forum. I just purchased my "new" 2005  R1200RT this past Saturday, first BMW ever. 29,000 miles and super clean, in better shape than I was even hoping for. Some of the basic maintenance has been done, I'm going to do the transmission oil, final drive and maybe the ABS this weekend or next if I get everything this week that I need to do it. Looking forward to learning about the bike. I've always had Japanese or Italian bikes, this bike seems quite a bit different. I just need to get out and get some miles on it and get used to the motor and handling. 

Morning   81delorean

Nice looking motorcycle. 

That 2005 BMW 1200RT had a few issues that BMW either covered under a recall, or service bulletin, or just advise. 

I won't cover them all here but a couple worth noting just so you can be aware. 

The important one was the rear wheel mounting flange, that was actually a recall. The original rear wheel flange was alloy (aluminum) & under some condition those would crack the wheel mounting, or brake rotor mounting, ears. (fairly big failure IF it happens to a couple of the ears) 

There was also a problem on the early BMW 1200 bikes with the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller)  the early failure prone FPC was plain alloy (silver) with low heat fins (most of those have already failed so were replaced under BMW policy). The one you want to see on your motorcycle is the Black with high cooling fins. If your motorcycle doesn't have the high fin black FPC then you might think about replacing it, OR just make up an FPC jumper harness that can be used in an emergency to get you home. The FPC is on top of the fuel tank fuel pump flange (L/H side of motorcycle).  

The other major issue with the fuel system was the fuel pump pass-through crack. The pressure side coming out of pump pass through tended to crack then leak fuel under pressure. BMW had a recall that added a metal ring around the cracked plastic fitting boss, that repaired most but on the ones it didn't repair BMW installed a new fuel pump including pass-through flange.  

The other failure point that BMW sort of designed into the early BMW 1200 motorcycles is the "electronic-immobilizer ring aerial". That is in the ignition key cylinder area. That "immobilizer ring" is what the key pellet talks to when starting the engine.   When that immobilizer ring failed (& a number of  them did) you would get a EWS showing on the dash & there was no-way that motorcycle would start & no good work-around to get it running.  This one is difficult to tell by looking if it was replaced but if there is a tag on the immobilizer ring wire pig tail then give us  the number on it & possibly we can track down if it is a replacement (or talk to BMW customer service or a BMW dealer to see if that was replaced.  

The other somewhat big deal on the  early (re 2005) BMW 1200RT was front brake judder under braking. There was a new brake rotor mounting package & on some even front wheel replacement  as the brake disk mounting at wheel casting allowed way too much brake rotor run-out. 

There were a number of other more minor issues but the above are the important ones to be aware of. 

Hopefully most were already taken care of by BMW and/or the previous owner.

Just things to be aware of so you can address any that are not already updated. 

1200 Rear wheel flange identify.jpg

81- welcome! I'm on an 07 RT with 39k. over the summer I did a final drive oil change (looked pretty fresh but for all I knew it was original- Ive only owned it a year). If your 05 is like my 07, the drain plug is on the back of the housing. You have to disconnect the final to swing the pumpkin down to drain, then clean and regrease the splines. Attached photo, thats the drain plug, not the fill plug- there's no plug on the bottom. You fill by removing the abs sensor (new O ring) and filling from there.

One other note, I learned on this forum that you're not supposed to use just any 75/90 oil back there, it's supposed to be non LS (limited slip) oil which is not real easy to find retail. I found non LS oil by Redline ordered it from Oreileys locally. 

I did it, wasn't really that difficult, but a way more involved oil change than I expected. Special oil and hunting down new rubber O rings ugh, just not a half hour job like I expected. If I were you, Id add it to my winter project list if you have a heated place to work. Just squeeze as many miles into her as 2023 allows. Dave

IMG_3717.jpeg

Thanks for all the advice and info. I ordered some Liqui Moly 75W90 from Beemer Boneyard for the trans and final drive. I started messing with one of the side cases, it's pretty tough to lift the opening handle on it so I thought I would try to clean and lube the mechanisms inside. Doesn't seem to difficult.....yet. We'll see how it goes. I've got insurance on the bike, just need to get it licensed now and I'll be good to go. 

• Like 1

I tried that to, it helped but it's still stiffer than I think it should be. Just checked my wheel flange, all good back there, it's the steel one. 

My older ('99 RT) side cases responded really well with WD-40 brand PTFE dry lube spray.  Didn't even have to disassemble.  Spray it in the openings and any joints or sliding parts, even the keyhole and let it dry.  Bought at WM.  No grease or oil to get on things in the sidencases.

image.thumb.png.aed2ae40ea6ea7d1442b4a045ad63fa7.png

• Plus 1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice looking bike !!! Congrats 

I migrated from Asian and Italian bike also :) the biggest thing is getting how easy these bikes steer a lite touch does wonders also the lack of front end dive is really strange for awhile.( it took me a bit to trust the grip at the front ) 

but the thing that took the most brain power to be honest was the turn signals , I'm not sure why but having to use both thumbs just messed me up using my right thumb messed with my mind 

5 hours ago, Rider1260 said:

but the thing that took the most brain power to be honest was the turn signals , I'm not sure why but having to use both thumbs just messed me up using my right thumb messed with my mind

Funny, I found that to be the easiest thing figure out with the controls, that is how Harley has been doing it since turn signals were invented!

Nice find. I too have mostly owned Japanese bikes since 1970 and a BMW boxer might take a little getting used too but my 2007 is one of my favorite bikes. I bought it with 89,000 miles and currently it is at 143,500. It's my second 07 RT. I do my own services at home and I find these bikes easy to work on. This forum has all the guidance and information you will need to service and maintain your RT but I suggest at least a Haynes '04-09 R1200 Twins service manual.