IGNORED

Is Riding Season Over where You Are?

Witty_Low

I'm in NY State on the Canadian border between Ottawa and Montreal and we got some snow this morning 😒. it's in the 30's here today. I hope to get in some more rides in before the real winter weather hits. I don't want to winterize my bike yet. what about you guys / girls? How is the riding this time of the year in your area?

We just had a beautiful stretch of weather but it’s gone. :( Cool and rainy today, kinda a preview of November’s weather. Maybe a couple more good days, hopefully. :)

Here in central NC, all year riding.  I typically do my hour commute daily.  What prevents me from riding is if it is heavy rain on my inbound to work or if sub-freezing right after rain.  I don't wanna arrive at work wet if the stitch don't stop the water and I don't wanna slide the bikes in the ice anymore 'cause the wife said she ain'ta gonna come get me after I went down the second time in the ice.

• Like 1

Yep same here in RTP NC.  All year as long as it is not icy.  Was mid 80s yesterday and today, struggling to get to 50 on Wednesday.  Typical yo yo we have here all winter.

It honestly just started for me about a month ago when it dropped out of the 100+.  It was low 90's last week and as late as Saturday.  Today it is 48/51....absolutely perfect weather.  My riding season ends when we get sustained 100's.  The year there were only 2 days when temps were below 100 in August.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

It honestly just started for me about a month ago when it dropped out of the 100+.  It was low 90's last week and as late as Saturday.  Today it is 48/51....absolutely perfect weather.  My riding season ends when we get sustained 100's.  The year there were only 2 days when temps were below 100 in August.

Here you go

https://www.webbikeworld.com/air-conditioning-motorcyclists/

Here in West Michigan, our bikes are put away for the snow (salt) season.  Trying to get that stuff out of all the nooks and crannies so the bike doesn't rust is hard.  So, while I might have a day or two that riding would be fun, I just keep them on chargers and covered until spring.  Last week's shoulder surgery was the end of this year's riding.  Looking forward to the START and Spring Torrey!

In northeast Ohio it's raining a little bit and the temperature is taking a nose dive toward freezing tonight. Temperature should be on the rise back into the 50's starting Wednesday and there's very little rain in the forecast, so I hope to get some riding in this weekend.

6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

We just had a beautiful stretch of weather but it’s gone. :( Cool and rainy today, kinda a preview of November’s weather. Maybe a couple more good days, hopefully. :)

We may have a 50 degree day coming up. Ill try to take advantage of that.

• Plus 1 1
6 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Here in central NC, all year riding.  I typically do my hour commute daily.  What prevents me from riding is if it is heavy rain on my inbound to work or if sub-freezing right after rain.  I don't wanna arrive at work wet if the stitch don't stop the water and I don't wanna slide the bikes in the ice anymore 'cause the wife said she ain'ta gonna come get me after I went down the second time in the ice.

You're lucky brother. I miss the days of living in California and having the same opportunity. Be safe on the bike!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TSConver said:

Yep same here in RTP NC.  All year as long as it is not icy.  Was mid 80s yesterday and today, struggling to get to 50 on Wednesday.  Typical yo yo we have here all winter.

You guys are definitely lucky that you can ride most of the year!

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Whatever works! That's great riding weather around 50 deg when you normally have 100+ deg weather.

39 minutes ago, scout6 said:

Here in West Michigan, our bikes are put away for the snow (salt) season.  Trying to get that stuff out of all the nooks and crannies so the bike doesn't rust is hard.  So, while I might have a day or two that riding would be fun, I just keep them on chargers and covered until spring.  Last week's shoulder surgery was the end of this year's riding.  Looking forward to the START and Spring Torrey!

If I can get a day or two, I'll take it. I'm really in the same boat as you though. Wait for the Spring.

28 minutes ago, RogerC60 said:

In northeast Ohio it's raining a little bit and the temperature is taking a nose dive toward freezing tonight. Temperature should be on the rise back into the 50's starting Wednesday and there's very little rain in the forecast, so I hope to get some riding in this weekend.

Sounds like you're going to have a great week!

Georgia, Tn, NC, SC will be on/off for the Month of November.  low 40's in the morning mid 60's in the afternoon.  with the right gear Decent riding weather.  The big problem is black ice in the mountains.  You get some sections of road that are tree covered and the ice does not melt. leaving the roads 90% clear and dry, but every once in awhile a turn will have ice.  YIKES

5 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Shut your mouth!!!!

I got nuthin….. :grin:

SoCal is expecting an El Nino Winter which will bring warm but wet conditions.  
Guess I’ll get to use that very expensive Motoport rain liner :P

• Haha 1

First snow tomorrow morning (maybe an inch), that brings out the salt unfortunately. I will put the newer bike away (only 10 years old) and ride the old bike when the roads are clear, supposed to get to the 40s by end of week. If it rains pretty good before winter really sets in I might break out the new bike again.

I ride all winter if possible (serious Midwest winter), low teens aren't too bad for short rides, 20-30 miles, but by then the roads are a salt mess. Old bike for that, as it does get a bit salted up. Unfortunately old bike has no heated grips, no fairing, no lowers like the new bike. Heated jacket liner makes it tolerable.

Some years I get out every month. Other years no riding from mid November until mid March or later if roads don't really clear out the ice and snow.

Here's the weird thing about winter riding: you actually want it cold, 20°F or colder. If it gets warmer, the roads start to thaw, get sloppy, sending salt spray everywhere, a mess to drive in much less ride in.  Who'd a thunk you want it cold to ride in winter?

It was 4 degrees here Sunday night.  Days weren't much to brag about as well.  My RT is on it Tender and under cover in hibernation until spring.

On 10/30/2023 at 5:35 PM, Dave_in_TX said:

In central Texas, we have year round riding, although I know a few riders who cut back or stop during the heat of summer.

Great place to live!

On 10/30/2023 at 9:09 PM, randy said:

Georgia, Tn, NC, SC will be on/off for the Month of November.  low 40's in the morning mid 60's in the afternoon.  with the right gear Decent riding weather.  The big problem is black ice in the mountains.  You get some sections of road that are tree covered and the ice does not melt. leaving the roads 90% clear and dry, but every once in awhile a turn will have ice.  YIKES

That sounds hit or miss. Be careful out there!

On 10/30/2023 at 10:34 PM, Hosstage said:

First snow tomorrow morning (maybe an inch), that brings out the salt unfortunately. I will put the newer bike away (only 10 years old) and ride the old bike when the roads are clear, supposed to get to the 40s by end of week. If it rains pretty good before winter really sets in I might break out the new bike again.

I ride all winter if possible (serious Midwest winter), low teens aren't too bad for short rides, 20-30 miles, but by then the roads are a salt mess. Old bike for that, as it does get a bit salted up. Unfortunately old bike has no heated grips, no fairing, no lowers like the new bike. Heated jacket liner makes it tolerable.

Some years I get out every month. Other years no riding from mid November until mid March or later if roads don't really clear out the ice and snow.

Here's the weird thing about winter riding: you actually want it cold, 20°F or colder. If it gets warmer, the roads start to thaw, get sloppy, sending salt spray everywhere, a mess to drive in much less ride in.  Who'd a thunk you want it cold to ride in winter?

The Midwest sounds similar to here, but when the season is over, its really over here. Plus, I personally wouldn't ride once they start pouring salt on the roads. Good luck!

On 10/31/2023 at 2:51 AM, Red said:

It was 4 degrees here Sunday night.  Days weren't much to brag about as well.  My RT is on it Tender and under cover in hibernation until spring.

We have a few 50 deg days coming up. If it is dry, I'm riding. After that it's cold and ugly again, so I'll have to put my RT on a tender as well for the hibernation.

I feel your pain. 
Todays commutes low from my Fobo TPM screen shot. 

image.thumb.png.250a8aa351c154e3eaf2b40fb173bd62.png

Fortunately it’s only this cold for a short section through a canyon & then I’m on PCH which runs parallel with the Pacific Ocean so temps are moderated.  

The afternoon leg was 50°+ warmer. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

I feel your pain. 
Todays commutes low from my Fobo TPM screen shot. 

image.thumb.png.250a8aa351c154e3eaf2b40fb173bd62.png

Fortunately it’s only this cold for a short section through a canyon & then I’m on PCH which runs parallel with the Pacific Ocean so temps are moderated.  

The afternoon leg was 50°+ warmer. 

24* when I left this morning, tipped up to 34* then back down to 31* when I got off the bike,.......I think my left glove is going bad

• Haha 1

I’m fortunate in that the canyon section is only about 9 miles long & only 2/3 of it is North of the tunnel that separates the coast from the inland climate. 
The coast temps are 20°+ warmer. 

Believe it or not, a few yrs ago I hit a few patches of black ice while riding in the Santa Monica’s (Mountains). 

One particular storm brought a cold air mass from inland to the moist coastal that produced an impressive amount of hail on either side of the previously mentioned tunnel 

image.thumb.jpeg.24a0c9b7bb50c97d6689ad85ae18fd5e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eeb0bc989743a0382d4a6358a1e49705.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fd7f28a67860e2e0a931bf71a7771b75.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks miserable.

Looking to get at least one more decent ride in this Saturday. Had snow on Monday, but it seems they didn't really put down any salt, hitting mid 40's Saturday, so off we go.

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 10/30/2023 at 3:46 PM, scout6 said:

Here in West Michigan, our bikes are put away for the snow (salt) season. 

Not salty here in SE Michigan just yet.  Daytime highs vary from 45-60 lately, so as long as it's not raining, you can have a fairly pleasant ride.  I don't have my Gerbing stuff installed on the new bike yet, so I gotta bundle up like the good old days.  Supposed to be mid 50's this weekend, so will definitely be in the saddle at some point.  I probably won't knock off until close to Thanksgiving - whenever temps finally get unpleasant.

Way back when I was relatively new to riding, @Lone_RT_rider and I were active in the BMW Touring Club of Detroit, and we often went to their Sunday morning breakfast events.  There was one winter that was unusually devoid of snow (2002 or 2003, can't remember), and so we were going to club breakfasts in January and February when temps were in the upper 20s.  didn't have a heated jacket or seat back then - just a lotta layers.

• Like 3
Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

.......There was one winter that was unusually devoid of snow (2002 or 2003, can't remember), and so we were going to club breakfasts in January and February when temps were in the upper 20s.  didn't have a heated jacket or seat back then - just a lotta layers.

And a much younger metabolism refresh rate.....  :old:

• Like 4

Love my Gerbings jacket liner. Not sure how much winter riding I would do without it now.

Joe FF, you could get an accessory battery for the jacket, it won't run all day, but give you a few hours of heat. Could charge it while stopped for lunch, etc.

Then you'd have it for outdoor activities too, like the grandkids hockey games, or drinking around the fire pit.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, duckhawk64 said:

A few more days left in Southern Cowconsin. I have to finish a tank with Chevron Techron snake oil. 

Yep, looks like a rideable weekend, and perhaps even Monday. I'll be out there also!

Our season has pretty much ended here with a six inch dump of snow a week ago. It has been a bit warmer the past couple of days, but still a good patch of ice behind my garage. I've covered the bikes and plugged them all in to the battery charger for the winter now.

But riding season is just starting in Chile where I'll be going next week to ride down to Ushuaia with a tour group. 

PXL_20231031_204708601.jpg

• Like 1

Winter is pretty much here now in the UK, but Im still getting out on the RT when its bright and dry! Jan and Feb will likely see me stop as those are the coldest/iciest months though :(

• Like 1
On 11/2/2023 at 10:25 AM, Lone_RT_rider said:

And a much younger metabolism refresh rate.....  :old:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I am in southeast Pa., and also have a bike in lower slower Delaware (LSD).
As long as the brine and salt is off the roads, I still ride in Pa.  In Delaware, itS usually a milder climate in winter, and they don’t know what to do if it’s snows.