IGNORED

Engine seal leak

atericel

Cross posting from the camhead forum, as the tool I'm talking about is the same... Hope that's ok. TL;DR: I can't find the seal press tool I need, part 11 5 700. Seeking alternatives.

2012 RT rider here... After a quick overnight trip down to Southern Utah via Route 12 a couple of weeks ago to enjoy some of the last of the nice fall weather, I backed my bike into the garage. A couple of minutes later, I came out to unload the bike, and noticed a couple of drops of oil underneath the bike, near the back of the engine. Family schedule required the bike to sit for a few weeks before I could take a closer look. Yesterday, I took off the left side fairing to get a better look, hoping it was the left side cam chain tensioner bolt that is sometimes a bit loose, and can leak. It was bone dry. It looks like it is leaking where the transmission meets the engine. Just a few drops, but the back of the gear box is "wet" with oil. I am pretty sure it is engine oil, as it does not smell like gear oil.

So I've started down the research path of splitting the bike in two and replacing seals, and possibly the clutch, if it has been contaminated with oil. I've found some threads detailing this process on a GS (on ADVrider), and a couple of youtube videos as well, also on GS's. While I can tell this is a difficult job, I think it is within my ability.

The Haynes manual suggests that some of the new seals can be pressed in with an appropriately sized socket. However, the steps to reinstall rear main crankshaft seal call for a BMW tool, specifically parts numbers 115701, 115702, 115703, and 115705. I have scoured the internet for a few days, and I cannot find these for sale ANYWHERE, including on Beemer Boneyard, Wunderlich America, and Beemershop.com.

Has anyone out there found a way to fashion another tool that works? Or know where to buy the tool? Alternatively, would anyone be willing to rent to tool to me (with a deposit?) through the mail? I am hesitant to tear into this project before knowing that I can actually complete it and get the seals back in properly. I welcome any words of wisdom, links to helpful threads, or holy incantations you might have to offer.

Thanks,

atericel