IGNORED

Boxflyer Tools and Service in Newport, TN - Check here for Parts, Tires, Service, Scheduling, or Questions!

Boxflyer

i-p8fm4JJ-S.jpg.                                               i-5mQFjX3-M.jpg

Hello all interested in coming to START '24 in Newport, TN.  I'm looking forward to this event very much!

I will have my Boxflyer Trailer with bike lift, air compressor, NoMar Tire changer, and full tool box with lots of spare parts, as well as R1200/R1250 Cam Timing Tools.

R1200/1250 WetHead/ShiftHead

I'm already scheduling for  I have scheduled several Cam Timing and Valve Clearance services at START '24, so please contact me early with your request for this FREE Service.

As of now, I'm going to limit this to 6 individual bikes so I can have time for other issues that pop up.  I can usually do 1 service in the first half of the day and 1 in the afternoon.

I will order  have in stock, spark plugs, and other consumables normally associated with doing the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks, such as crush washers and O-rings for each of these bikes. Please plan on paying for these consumables with cash.

Final Drive/Driveshaft Spline Service,  I have enough gear oil and crush washers for this...also consumable costs.

OH YES...I will have a couple of Paralever rear accordion boots for installation after I wander thru the parking area poking around at bikes at the event! 

Final Drive Service has become OBE by the Factory Warranty Replacement of the driveshaft.

@OWA Wyn Ayers R1200GS  Tues 4/23

Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks

Site Setup -- Monday AM 4/22

@Skipcurt Skip Curtis R1200GSA -- Monday PM 4/22

@OWA Wyn Ayers R1200GS-- Camshaft Replacement --Tues AM & PM 4/23 (Tuesday is really "Wyn'sday all day)

@DouginNC Doug Haddock R1250GS --Wed AM 4/24

@Indy Scott Scott Keller R1200GS --Wed PM 4/24  (General bike CHECK)

@XR Russ Russ Mills S1000XR --Thurs AM 4/25  (General bike CHECK)

@F16Viper68 Dave R1200GS --Thurs PM 4/25

@arr2 Tony Rosselli R1250 -- Friday AM 4/26

Friday PM 4/26

@bababang Mike Hamilton R1250 GSA -- Sat AM 4/27

Pack-up/loading of trailer -- Sat PM 4/27

Header Swap-out

@Stresspuppy Scott Leake R1200RT 2018 -- Fri PM 4/26

Adaptive Values Reset with GS-911

This was VERY popular at FART '23 and had excellent feedback about how much difference it makes, especially after doing the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks.

Site Setup -- Monday AM 4/22

@Skipcurt  Skip Curtis R1200GSA -- Monday PM 4/22

@OWA Wyn Ayers R1200GS -- Tues 4/23

@DouginNC Doug Haddock R1250GS --Wed AM 4/24

Thurs AM

@F16Viper68 Dave R1200GS -- Thurs PM 4/25

@arr2 Tony Rosselli R1250 -- Friday AM 4/26

@brorke Bill Rorke  -- Friday PM 4/26

@bababang Mike Hamilton R1250 GSA--  Sat AM 4/27

Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools

Joe Pilz will be bringing ALL the 1200/1250 Cam Timing Tools and WetHead/ShiftHead Special 12k Tool Kits he have to be sold at the event.  

I'm not sure how many that will be, so see me Joe early at the event so you can get what you need...these kits are small enough to carry home in your bike if you rode to START, or I  Joe can ship them to you later if you are in the USA.

Pricing will NOT be published on this or any other Forum, so please don't ask...everything changes as my supply of raw materials and donor parts are constantly in flux.

Bring CASH as I prefer not to use PayPal or Venmo.

Tire Installation and Wheel Balancing

Let me know early if you need tires installed and balanced while at START '24.

I will cut off sign up for this service about 2 weeks before START '24

Together, we will coordinate arrangements for ordering the tires, so contact me early to discuss.

@OWA Wyn Ayers R1200GS Wheel Bearings/TPMS Install/Relearn--Boxflyer Brake Service Tues 4/23

All START/FART Attendees

I know that the ARTs, both START and FART, are primarily RIDING events, but I have become attached to this group and feel fortunate to contribute in making the experience better for everyone.

Hope I can be of some assistance for this season of riding.

Brad Smith

Boxflyer

• Like 11
Motorhead1977

Brad, put me down for the drive shaft spline service with another final drive lubricant service. I'll be arriving on Sunday evening so anytime Monday or Tuesday or whenever you can fit me in is perfect. TIA :18:

• Like 1

Brad,

I would appreciate it if you could take a look at my final drive splines to check on their condition.  I had the oil changed not too long ago, but I worry about the condition of the splines since you said my boot was not installed correctly when you looked at my 1250 in Sparta.  I'll be arriving Wednesday.  

Thank you,

Ron

• Like 2

Hi Ron,

I've got you on the list for doing driveshaft/spline service...I also have 2 spare rear boots if there is an issue with the integrity of the hard plastic ring to the flexible boot material. 

It the internal hard plastic ring with the 4 clipping teeth is detached from the flexible rubber accordion part, it will never seal completely to the Paralever...and always allow water/dirt into the driveshaft.

This service should only take about an hour, so we may even get to it on the day you arrive so you can enjoy the riding at START.

Brad

• Like 1

Brad - Could you put  me down for valve/cam alignment check?  I can do Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Whatever is more convenient to you.  2015 R1200GS.  

Dave...

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Sure,

I'll put you on the list...thanks for being flexible as to when we put it on the schedule.

You will also get the Adaptive Values Reset...as SOP for all the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks.

Brad

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

Hi Dave,

Sure,

I'll put you on the list...thanks for being flexible as to when we put it on the schedule.

You will also get the Adaptive Values Reset...as SOP for all the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks.

Brad

Brad - Anything you think will help would be appreciated.  Do I need to bring oil/filter and crush washer?  I'll also be sure to bring some plugs.  

21 hours ago, TSConver said:

If I can get 7k in before then. :5147:

Well you better get with the program and stop spending so much time in the restaurants. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Well you better get with the program and stop spending so much time in the restaurants. 

I wish got surgery on Wednesday probably down for a month before I can ride a gain. :27:

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

Brad, did you want me to run my seminar again on the proper use of a torque wrench?

Yes, PLEASE Mark!

I especially like the part in your lecture where you explain "Righty-Tighty" and "Lefty-Loosie"

Brad

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

Brad, it is truly the forum members who are the lucky ones to have you and your willingness to share your technical abilities! My bike has never run as well as it has since your timing/clearance adjustments @ Sparta... I am hoping to be there on tuesday and would like to see if I could get the splines checked / lubed and also help you out in any way possible( without getting in your way!}  thank you for everything that you do it is greatly appreciated!      Dirk

• Like 3
Motorhead1977
On 10/30/2023 at 4:39 PM, Boxflyer said:

Yes, PLEASE Mark!

I especially like the part in your lecture where you explain "Righty-Tighty" and "Lefty-Loosie"

Brad

Heyyy, careful there, "Lefty-Loosie" was my girlfriend in highschool :classic_tongue: However I couldn't ever find a way to explain her to my father though I'm pretty sure he'd figured it out:5147:  Which explains why he never liked her. LoL

• Like 1

Well, my bike has been running like a top since Brad worked on it at FART.  So I don't think I need any service.  But, I'd be glad to hang around and smoke cigars, drink bourbon, and offer advice no one needs nor asked for?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Brad - Could you put  me down for valve/cam alignment check? I am flexible about which day and time. Wednesday thru Saturday will be the days I plan to be there, leaving Sunday morning. As it is less that two hours from home I could possibly ride in on Monday or Tuesday if your schedule fills up completely. 

Tony

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

Added @Stresspuppy to the list for a quick swap-out of his "ratty looking" HEADERS!

Brad

I have new gaskets and nuts for a 1200 wethead header flanges.  I don't think they will fit my 1250 so I can bring them if you want.  Donation to the cause.

• Like 1

Brad,

Looks like this is going to be another excellent event, with a great group of people.

I'm sure you are going to be busy and many are going to benefit from your knowledge and experience. :18:

When you need to put on an apprentice to learn and help with the workload let me know and I'll send in my CV.

KR,

Mark

@Aussie Mark...no need for a CV from YOU!  I've seen plenty of your work and would hope to learn a thing or two from your organization alone!

As the Commanding Officer of the RAAF 100 Squadron, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._100_Squadron_RAAF ) near Melbourne, Victoria, AUS, you have established without a doubt that you understand, and can manage, hundreds of restoration projects and oversee the activities of nearly as many personnel.

Your outstanding military career may finally be nearing a point where you can RETIRE, so I'd like to personally thank you for your professionalism, dedication and service to your country! (Australia)

I've seen pictures of your personal workshop with the many binders full of diagrams and drawings, along with the proper instructions to perform everything that you've done on your R1200 RT WetHead...it's IMPRESSIVE!

I'm honored to have you as a close personal friend!

Last year at START in Ellijay, I had an incredible assistant in the person of @Cap Smith, who is one of the most intelligent, capable individuals I know...(a close second to my wife)!

He would help start a maintenance project, assist in the middle, or finish up while I went on to something else...all the while having the knowledge and experience to do so without needing me to watch his every step to make sure my "anal-retentive" way of doing things was followed...and then he would put my tools away where they came from...INCREDIBLE!   I raise an Arnold Palmer to salute YOU!  Thanks Cap.

I really enjoy being with this group of folks that contribute so much to organize these ART's events.  Without them (the BBR Crew) there still might be a Rally, but it would NOT be the same special production that anyone that has been to one of these gatherings benefits from.

While it's still early days to be making a big deal about this event, I am really looking forward to getting together with all the folks that ride in to these ARTs...you are truly my good friends!

Brad 

My 7th Grade Science Project, my first motorcycle and my first car.

Internal Combustion Engines

i-JsGS2CQ-M.jpg  i-VX5PZL2-M.jpg  i-gmsZjGW-S.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • 2 weeks later...

so I have a project that might not fit into BoxFlyer's schedule, that maybe Mark would like to look at.  my 2013 WC R1200GS is acting like a failed Slave Cylinder.  The clutch will not fully disengage.  So at stop signs or in sloooow traffic it is a big/unsafe issue.  Chris K and I did a swap of the OEM (80k miles) slave cylinder for a new BMW OEM slave cylinder, plus a good bleeding.

Well all felt good, and the clutch lever hadan excellent feel.  However, as soon as I rode a few miles it was right back to the same problem.

of course it could still be a bleed issue, but Chris and I are pretty sure about out bleed work.

somewhat of a mystery.  But as my Dad always said, KISS, and I am somewhat back to a bleed is needed.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:50 PM, Krid said:

Brad, it is truly the forum members who are the lucky ones to have you and your willingness to share your technical abilities! My bike has never run as well as it has since your timing/clearance adjustments @ Sparta... I am hoping to be there on tuesday and would like to see if I could get the splines checked / lubed and also help you out in any way possible( without getting in your way!}  thank you for everything that you do it is greatly appreciated!      Dirk

Brad (boxflyer), don't forget KRID and his wingman Cookie BruinsFan would happily fill in the gaps wherever you chose for us to go and buy more parts "beer, booze, ping-pong balls and solo cups." Remember there  were athletes on that team than just  Michael Jordan. We'd be glad to help! Happy HoHo and Merry New Year to you and loved ones. Can't wait! 

On 12/3/2023 at 5:34 AM, Aussie Mark said:

Brad,

Looks like this is going to be another excellent event, with a great group of people.

I'm sure you are going to be busy and many are going to benefit from your knowledge and experience. :18:

When you need to put on an apprentice to learn and help with the workload let me know and I'll send in my CV.

KR,

Mark

• Like 1
On 10/29/2023 at 9:23 AM, Boxflyer said:

i-p8fm4JJ-S.jpg.                                               i-5mQFjX3-M.jpg

Hello all interested in coming to START '24 in Newport, TN.  I'm looking forward to this event very much!

I will have my Boxflyer Trailer with bike lift, air compressor, NoMar Tire changer, and full tool box with lots of spare parts, as well as R1200/R1250 Cam Timing Tools.

R1200/1250 WetHead/ShiftHead

I'm already scheduling for several Cam Timing and Valve Clearance services at START '24, so please contact me early with your request for this FREE Service.

As of now, I'm going to limit this to 6 individual bikes so I can have time for other issues that pop up.  I can usually do 1 service in the first half of the day and 1 in the afternoon.

I will order spark plugs, and other consumables normally associated with doing the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks, such as crush washers and O-rings for each of these bikes. Please plan on paying for these consumables with cash.

I expect to be doing 2 or 3 Final Drive/Driveshaft Spline services, so I have enough gear oil and crush washers for this...also consumable costs.

OH YES...I will have a couple of Paralever rear accordion boots for installation after I wander thru the parking area poking around at bikes at the event! 

@Motorhead1977 Tom Nicotera R1250RS Final Drive/Spline Lube Service (Date TBA)

@Ron-M Ron M R1250RT (Date TBA...maybe Wed 4/24)

@OWA Wyn Ayers R1200GS (Date TBA...maybe Tues 4/23)

@Krid Dirk R1250RT (Date TBA)

So far I have Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks lined up for:

@TSConver Shawn Conver R1250 GSA (Date TBA)

@OWA Wyn Ayers R1200GS-- Camshaft Replacement (Date TBA ...maybe Tues 4/23)

@F16Viper68 Dave R1200GS (Date TBA)

@arr2 Tony R1250 (Date TBA)

Header Swap-out

@Stresspuppy Scott Leake R1200RT 2018 (Date TBA)

Adaptive Values Reset with GS-911

This was VERY popular at FART '23 and had excellent feedback about how much difference it makes, especially after doing the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks.

@TSConver Shawn Conver R1250 GSA (Date TBA)

@OWA Wyn Ayers R1200GS (maybe Tues 4/23)

@F16Viper68 Dave R1200GS

@arr2 Tony R1250 (Date TBA)

Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools

I will be bringing ALL the 1200/1250 Cam Timing Tools and WetHead/ShiftHead Special 12k Tool Kits I have to be sold at the event.  

I'm not sure how many that will be, so see me early at the event so you can get what you need...these kits are small enough to carry home in your bike if you rode to START, or I can ship them to you later if you are in the USA.

Pricing will NOT be published on this or any other Forum, so please don't ask...everything changes as my supply of raw materials and donor parts are constantly in flux.

Bring CASH as I prefer not to use PayPal or Venmo.

Tire Installation and Wheel Balancing

Let me know early if you need tires installed and balanced while at START '24.

I will cut off sign up for this service about 2 weeks before START '24

Together, we will coordinate arrangements for ordering the tires, so contact me early to discuss.

@OWA Wyn Ayers R1200GS TPMS Install/Relearn--Boxflyer Brake Service (Maybe Tues 4/23)

All START/FART Attendees

I know that the ARTs, both START and FART, are primarily RIDING events, but I have become attached to this group and feel fortunate to be invited to assist in making the experience better for everyone.

Hope I can be of some assistance for this season of riding.

Brad Smith

Boxflyer

Fantastic Brad

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Brad,

Thanks for putting me on the schedule for Friday AM. Please let me know what time as it gets closer.

Tony

@arr2 I like to get started about 0830 or so to ensure we complete by noon for the PM bike.

Brad

• Like 1
Indy Scott

Hey Brad, if you could put me down just for a quick check over last thing Monday morning, that would be awesome.

@Indy Scott After a couple of PM's with you, I have you on the schedule for Wed PM late, 4/24 to give your bike a good "looking over".

Anyone else following this thread, PLEASE NOTE that ALL the scheduled maintenance has been updated in the first POST of this thread.

I'll put everyone that I know of in this NOTIFICATION.

That would be:

@Motorhead1977

@Ron-M

@OWA

@Krid

@F16Viper68

@arr2

@brorke

@Stresspuppy

@bababang

No action required on your part, but if you need to change something, please contact me so we can work it out.

Thanks,

Brad

• Like 4

Thank you Brad for the heads- up! Thursday morning it will be! I am gonna be down Tuesday  or Wednesday so it works great for me. I look forward to seeing this whole crew again what a great group of people!

• Like 1

Hi Boxflyer I’ve enjoyed your YouTube how to videos.  Are you all booked up for valve / cam timing checks at the START in April 2024?  I have a 2020 GSA 1250 with 10,500 miles and the valves / cam timing have never been checked.  I was planning on attending Thursday - Sunday, but I have some flexibility.    Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Doug,

I still have availability on Wednesday 4/24...AM for sure, and I'm waiting for a confirmation of a Wed afternoon service on someone from Indy, so that may or may not be available as well.

Let me know if Wed 4/24 AM (I usually like to start at 0830) will work.  If you have to ride in, it will take about 2hrs to cool off your engine before it's suitable to work on setting things.

Will you also run 2 tanks of fuel with Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner thru your bike just before you arrive for your service so it will have clean combustion chambers?

Standing by for confirmation...I'll add it to the first post in this thread so everyone else can be aware of what's going on as far as my activities at START.

...one more thing....if you can PM me your personal info with name and phone number, I will be able to communicate last minute changes if something comes up.

Thanks,

Brad Smith

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

Hi Doug,

I still have availability on Wednesday 4/24...AM for sure, and I'm waiting for a confirmation of a Wed afternoon service on someone from Indy, so that may or may not be available as well.

Let me know if Wed 4/24 AM (I usually like to start at 0830) will work.  If you have to ride in, it will take about 2hrs to cool off your engine before it's suitable to work on setting things.

Will you also run 2 tanks of fuel with Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner thru your bike just before you arrive for your service so it will have clean combustion chambers?

Standing by for confirmation...I'll add it to the first post in this thread so everyone else can be aware of what's going on as far as my activities at START.

...one more thing....if you can PM me your personal info with name and phone number, I will be able to communicate last minute changes if something comes up.

Thanks,

Brad Smith

Brad, That will work.  I’ll ride up Tuesday and spend the night so the bike will be cool in the morning.  Thanks!  Yes, I’ll run the fuel treatment through.

• Like 1
Boxflyer

Looks like my week is about FULL.

See the first post in this thread!

Anyone that needs tires, please start making arrangements with me for logistics regarding where the tires will be and when will you want them to be mounted and balanced.

Looking forward to meeting everyone that is NEW on my list, and possibly getting a hand from some of the veterans to the event for any last minute maintenance concerns...like tire changing!

Brad 

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Boxflyer

Update for those getting engine work done for START '24 in Newport, TN.

@Skipcurt

@OWA

@DouginNC

@Indy Scott

@F16Viper68

@arr2

@brorke

@bababang

Looks like all of you will be either riding to the event, or riding at the event prior to your Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check Service. @OWA may not be riding in, since we are doing all 4 Cams and Followers Replacement.

PLEASE...make every effort to run 2 tanks of Top Tier Gas  https://www.toptiergas.com/ that has been treated with Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner https://a.co/d/0OYJSaU prior to the work I do on your bike.

Carbon buildup in the combustion chamber can have an unwanted result of causing excessive carbon to make the valve clearance readings be too far open...the carbon keeps the valve from seating all the way.

If I make adjustments to the valve clearances during the time when carbon is present, then later you run Top Tier Gas for several tanks, or do a fuel system cleaner with high concentrates of PEA (advanced polyether amine), then the valve clearances will not be right.

Remember, the recommended rate of treatment is just 1 ounce per gallon, so use about 1/2 bottle of Techron per tank for a couple of tanks. 

On an routine basis, I suggest doing a similar 2 tank treatment (one 12oz bottle) of high PEA concentrate fuel system cleaner about every 3000 miles or so.

I have a new borescope and will be documenting each and every combustion chamber and valves of the bikes I work on to get a better handle on this carbon situation.

Thank you for your cooperation...it will be a better result for all of us!

Brad

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Boxflyer

Nope,

I’ve got everything you need…especially if we run into anything that might need special attention. 

See you in a week!

Brad

• Like 2