IGNORED

Possible old Rt 1150 purchase?

Stephen McElduff

Stephen McElduff

Someone suggested this on craigslist NH (I live in Tampa), would possibly buy it, have it shipped, not assume ANYTHING ABOUT IT, and work on it slowly to get it back in shape. Am I crazy? Actually, maybe not, my problem is ignorance I think which is why I ask "dumb" questions here, the advice I get is priceless.....any comments welcome

It's in a reply on here to one of my earlier posts, I will see if I can make a link to the comment from the guy....

image.thumb.png.0cab2a398ede13afa779829b678e9fce.png

Stephen McElduff

Sometimes I get plain manic w/o thinking too much, this bike seemed like it would be "fun" but it would be WAY too expensive to transport. Anyone have spare room for an RT and travelling from NH to Tampa? (kidding) Thanks for momentary distraction....

I would steer clear of this year for the 1150 series.  Problems with transmission input shat splines can be expensive.  I would look for a good low mileage R1100RT.   If for some unknown reason you think you need an 1150 then look at the 2004 models. 

Generally with these "opportunities", I learn what a good running machine is worth on the street and deduct this one's asking price.

What ever is left is your budget to fix whatever is wrong, along with your free labor. That balance typically goes quicker than the work required.

Might be fun though :grin:

Good luck!

11 hours ago, Stephen McElduff said:

Someone suggested this on craigslist NH (I live in Tampa), would possibly buy it, have it shipped, not assume ANYTHING ABOUT IT, and work on it slowly to get it back in shape. Am I crazy? Actually, maybe not, my problem is ignorance I think which is why I ask "dumb" questions here, the advice I get is priceless.....any comments welcome

It's in a reply on here to one of my earlier posts, I will see if I can make a link to the comment from the guy....

image.thumb.png.0cab2a398ede13afa779829b678e9fce.png

I originally posted about this bike, on the CL find of the day thread. Amazingly, it’s still for sale after 9 days, and only $1695.
One should also consider that this may be a scam ad also.

If I was really interested I'd call the guy (I know, you can only swap messages thru CL, but...) and discuss this bike with him.  Ask about the ownership of the bike, service history/records, the age of the tires, the HES (if it has been replaced), if the hydraulic hoses have been replaced (if not, they are way overdue).  And ask about the splines, as JamesW alluded to above. Issues with the splines usually show up at about 30-40K miles, not 61K.  After you have some phone conversation with the guy you will know if it's a scam as SDCRJohn suggested, and you will know more about the bike.   The pics tell a lot; an older, very nice, very well maintained residential setting, with a camper.

It usually goes one of several ways, 1) the guy is a rider, got a new bike, or, 2) loved the bike, got to old to feel safe anymore and wants to find a good home for the bike and will be 100% truthful about everything, just like you would be.  There is 98% chance of this and you will feel a kindred spirit and would be good friends if he was closer.  Or, 3) the children/widow are disposing of it and know very little about it.  Scammers don't usually mess with low priced old bikes, not much return on the effort/exposure.  MY money is on #2 above.

It looks like this bike is in really good condition, has been garaged, not out in the weather.  The windshield should be a relatively easy fix after you get the tupperware off the front, broken wire, bad fuse, seized motor.  It doesn't get much exercise.

IF everything checks out, the splines have been checked, the hydraulic lines (clutch and brakes) replaced, and the tires are less than 3 years old, I'd buy it and fly up and drive it home.  If the only thing was the tires, I'd see if there was a shop near him (Cycle Gear or such) and have them mount new, GOOD tires, then drive it home.  You will remember that for a long time as a great adventure, too.

Stephen McElduff

I was off this site past 20 years, forgot how great an entertainment and knowledge resource it is, for free...THANKS

For that price I don't know that I would fix anything but tires and easy stuff and just ride hell out of it. Fix stuff as it breaks if it really needs it. If something expensive or complicated (read expensive) breaks, sell it or junk it. It's a crap shoot, but not an overly expensive crap shoot.

It wouldn't be my main bike, but a nice 2nd bike to go hammer on, just to get into the RT world to see if it was for me.

I see that transportation might be an issue for you, but now you know what interests you, might be able to find one closer to you. If you find one that's a little higher priced, no harm to try and work a better deal to make it worth it.

There was one in Wisconsin, I could have had for $600, splines where shot and 150K for mileage, I almost bought for parts,  but not that hard up yet. Been crashed once and mostly fixed. 

There was  a dealer up here selling one under $2K also but 150K miles, but looked nice,

If this were closer, (I'm in the Tampa Bay Area too) I'd snatch it up for a parts bike! Especially if it had a recent rear shock. Getting ready to bite the bullet on that........

Dont know about rear shock, guessing original from 2002,  I know he replaced rear diff. mirrors new but black. I originally was thinking tires dunlops but the front was put backwards on rim. I have to shop tires for next year.    I my fuel cap drain was rusted real bad by fuel pump plate,  don't know how that one was. As far as I know he still has it,  was thinking offering him less.