IGNORED

The BMWs of the 70s back in the day and how they "hit" me

Stephen McElduff

Stephen McElduff

Been on EBAY Motors looking at BMW bikes from 60s onward. I had a KZ 900 in 76 and rode from NY to LA and back. I remember finding out very quickly the RIGHT WAY to go. Met up with a quirky old Engineer Guy in Chicago (uh, imagine that, on a BMW) and he was on his way to S. America on a 60's something Airhead......he kept up with us all day though.

Anyway, I remember as a 12 year old in '69 seeing my first Honda 750 SS and just having my jaw drop to the ground and couldn't take my eyes off it. In later years, on my bikes, every once in awhile I would be slowly trolling around a super market parking lot and some little kid holding his mother's hand would just STOP and stare, just like I did at age 12.

Anyway, getting back to my story, fast forward 50 years later and today I have THE EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE looking at the old R90S from early 70s, I just found myself with a full screen view of the R90s Daytona Orange (1974?) and mannnnn, that is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Not as good as Sophia Loren in a wet shirt but VERY nice.

I have one of "these" on my wish list. A dream is to one day have enough time, money and knowledge to have one of these and be able to work on it in depth.....There are so many old BMWs to look at for sale on the web to just drool over. I actually like the "old fashioned ones" better than the new ones.....the "Form Follows Function" mindset.....BEAUTIFUL

Anyway, a stream of consciousness post, perhaps some can relate. I can't seem to find on this site any resource(s) re: groups of us located nearby who get together for "Tech Days" and other things, I remember this site 20 years ago I thought we had stuff like that? Our Atlanta group back then was about 30 people.

Anyway (I say anyway a lot) thanks for any comments

image.png.b5f5f14db6f006c6b2ec4e3e6661d445.png 

image.png.867c6e39257f8af705312f4e055a9a97.png

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

I became a biker as a young man with a young '72 BSA 650 Thunderbolt. It spoiled me. The memory of a perfect bike still lingers, but I had to let it go as I could not stop my cafe' racer riding style. I finally (almost) matured enough in my early 70s to begin riding again. My 2009 BMW R1200RT-P is about the most perfect bike I can imagine for the kind of riding I love to do. BUT... there remains this hankering for the long-lost old flame. I found it in a nice-condition 1976 BMW R90/6. It has all of the nostalgic feel with several upgrades.  For an older naked bike, I highly recommend these which are apparently a sweet-spot in BMWs of this era. 

Stephen McElduff

Mannnnn, some nice machines in those pictures. First thing comes to mind is "Definitely, first thing after I win the lottery, start buying".

• Like 1
Stephen McElduff

Adidas Custom Motorcycle safety shoes

On the way to LA from NY Spring .77. Notice all of the safety apparel including Adidas safety shoes, man..., to be young again, and THAT dumb....(age 19), '77 KZ 900 ($2,395)

image.png.e1105012a076941ddfa81752b1bdcccf.png

• Like 1

This is how "...they hit me.."   Back in 1973 I had moved from home in Terre Haute IN. to Roanoke VA. Just before that my Brother Ed, and his buddy Richard had bought matching 1972 Honda 500s. I learned to ride motos on Ed's 500 Honda. They had another buddy, Carl who rode his dad's 1972 BMW R60/5 Toaster. Occasionally I would ride on back of Ed's Honda when we'd go out drinking beers and such (remember, 1972). A couple of times I rode on the back of Carl's Toaster. WOW! What a difference. It was smooth, quiet, purred and burbled a beautiful noise. It looked pretty weird with those big jugs stick out, but I was impressed. Once I was settled in Roanoke I started hunting for a motor bike. I found a 1963 BMW R60/2 with 19,000 miles showing. I bought it, I think for $750. My first motorcycle. About a month later I stopped in the local BMW shop to get the bike checked out and tuned up. The mechanic informed that this bike has 119,000 miles on it, as they had done some of the service on it. I put about 40,000 on it in 2 years and then got seduced by a Monza Blue R75/5 Toaster with full fairing, saddle bags and trunk. Kept that one for 40 some years. I rode mostly BMWs for the rest of my riding days (which aren't over yet), except for a recent fling with a Moto Guzzi V85TT, then a V7lll. Great bikes! The V7 got totaled a few weeks ago, so now I'm shopping for a nice BMW R bike, either nice Airhead, or 1150R. 

IMG_0005.jpg

20200509_120008.jpg

98 GS.jpg

• Like 2
On 10/26/2023 at 8:55 PM, Stephen McElduff said:

Been on EBAY Motors looking at BMW bikes from 60s onward. I had a KZ 900 in 76 and rode from NY to LA and back. I remember finding out very quickly the RIGHT WAY to go. Met up with a quirky old Engineer Guy in Chicago (uh, imagine that, on a BMW) and he was on his way to S. America on a 60's something Airhead......he kept up with us all day though.

Anyway, I remember as a 12 year old in '69 seeing my first Honda 750 SS and just having my jaw drop to the ground and couldn't take my eyes off it. In later years, on my bikes, every once in awhile I would be slowly trolling around a super market parking lot and some little kid holding his mother's hand would just STOP and stare, just like I did at age 12.

Anyway, getting back to my story, fast forward 50 years later and today I have THE EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE looking at the old R90S from early 70s, I just found myself with a full screen view of the R90s Daytona Orange (1974?) and mannnnn, that is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Not as good as Sophia Loren in a wet shirt but VERY nice.

I have one of "these" on my wish list. A dream is to one day have enough time, money and knowledge to have one of these and be able to work on it in depth.....There are so many old BMWs to look at for sale on the web to just drool over. I actually like the "old fashioned ones" better than the new ones.....the "Form Follows Function" mindset.....BEAUTIFUL

Anyway, a stream of consciousness post, perhaps some can relate. I can't seem to find on this site any resource(s) re: groups of us located nearby who get together for "Tech Days" and other things, I remember this site 20 years ago I thought we had stuff like that? Our Atlanta group back then was about 30 people.

Anyway (I say anyway a lot) thanks for any comments

image.png.b5f5f14db6f006c6b2ec4e3e6661d445.png 

image.png.867c6e39257f8af705312f4e055a9a97.png

This is my Sunday morning rider,  a 1983 R100, with a color matched S fairing. Not exactly a R90S, but close enough...

520917B0-0789-499A-8F3B-2CC0FCA20F4B.jpeg

• Like 3
On 10/26/2023 at 6:34 PM, Darbarian said:

I became a biker as a young man with a young '72 BSA 650 Thunderbolt. It spoiled me. The memory of a perfect bike still lingers, but I had to let it go as I could not stop my cafe' racer riding style. I finally (almost) matured enough in my early 70s to begin riding again. My 2009 BMW R1200RT-P is about the most perfect bike I can imagine for the kind of riding I love to do. BUT... there remains this hankering for the long-lost old flame. I found it in a nice-condition 1976 BMW R90/6. It has all of the nostalgic feel with several upgrades.  For an older naked bike, I highly recommend these which are apparently a sweet-spot in BMWs of this era. 

I started on a 1968 BSA Spitfire.  In 72 I turned that into a TT bike and bought a 71 Triumph Bonneville for the road.  To be honest I rarely saw a BMW in those days and when I did they were too quiet and seem to be ridden by 'older' men.  Absolutely not my thing.  I mean, I had to have something raced by Dick Mann or Dave Aldana. :revit:   Not a geezer bike.  :facepalm:

Edited by Red
missing word
  • Like 1

I started at the bottom of the pile on a 68 bsa victor. Then the 71 75/5, an RS and then 3 Rt's, now, 350,000 miles later, I speak heresy and say that each of my bikes before this 2018 RT was not even close to delivering what this bike does. This motor, suspension, brakes, handling, ergos, lights, protection, safety, comfort are so much further ahead. I may have a sentimental attachment and selective memory of my past bikes but the fact remains they were inferior. However they are sexy looking beasts and you can fix them sometimes. 

Then again, i can ignore the leaking fork seals, vibration, carb imbalance, steering head wobble, violent shudder when passing trucks, locked brakes in the rain, grooved payment nightmares, faulty handlebar switches, stripped splines, failed slave cylinder, battery failures, starter issues, ... get my drift folks?

• Smile 1
10 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Then again, i can ignore the leaking fork seals, vibration, carb imbalance, steering head wobble, violent shudder when passing trucks, locked brakes in the rain, grooved payment nightmares, faulty handlebar switches, stripped splines, failed slave cylinder, battery failures, starter issues, ... get my drift folks?

but, ....that’s part of the  “fun”, isn’t it?

• Like 1