IGNORED

American War Cemetery in Normandy

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

On the second day of our Normandy trip we headed to the coast again. This time the destinations were the American War Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer, Omaha Beach, and St. Mere Eglise with its Airborne Museum.

I'll post our trip report in 'chunks' so as not to overload your PC's.... We rode to Huppin via Caen and Bayeux (the home of the famous medieaval tapestry) and then north to the coast at Port-en-Bessin.

74786939-L.jpg

I stopped in Colleville-sur-Mer to make a few pictures of the church, which is portrayed in a recent computer game. It was eerie! The developers took the same pictures as I did and used it in the game.. you can actually walk around the church on your PC, 63 years back in time.

(Colleville and the cemetery are just right of #4 on the map)

This guy was one of the hundreds of Jeep-lovers in the area. I 'photoshopped' a modern-day car out of it, and also removed advertising for a French supermarket. Now the picture shows much like what it must have been 60 years ago !

74786847-L.jpg

This is the old church and its cemetery.... nothing much changed here over the years.

74786852-L.jpg

Marty waiting for the photographer... the old coastal road.. one of the most traveled roads in Normandy, and perhaps in all of France!

74786857-L.jpg

The cemetery lies just west of Colleville, atop the dunes at Omaha Beach. The thousands and thousands of white crosses are impressive to say the least.

It was really good to see so many families with children and younger people visiting.

There were also a surprising number of German visitors on the grounds !

74786870-L.jpg

Omaha Beach seen from atop the dunes. The view the defenders must have had. From here so many thousands of young men fought their way up..... only to loose their lives in Normandy or elsewhere, further in the campaign.

74786873-L.jpg

No more words necessary..............

74786875-L.jpg

74786878-L.jpg

74786888-L.jpg

74786893-L.jpg

74786895-L.jpg

The main monument near the entrance of the grounds....

74786897-L.jpg

74786913-L.jpg

Inside the monument is a map depicting the attack by the British, US and Canadian forces (there were others too of course, like the French Commando's at Ouistreham).

74786919-L.jpg

A statue inside the monument, with fresh flowers.....

74786924-L.jpg

It is far away, expensive to come over and certainly not possible for everyone..... but if you can you should visit this place at least once.

It will make us think about what happened, and why, and at what cost. And perhaps some day people will turn out to be intelligent enough to actually LEARN from the past and stop making the same mistakes all over again........

....... well, one can dream.... no!?

Warmest regards,

Francois

ericfoerster

Awesome stuff you are posting. Glad to see the weather appears to be perfect and your touring partner is holding up well to the travels.

Thanks for the great pics thumbsup.gif

It will make us think about what happened, and why, and at what cost. And perhaps some day people will turn out to be intelligent enough to actually LEARN from the past and stop making the same mistakes all over again........

There is hope....there's always hope.

Thank you for taking and posting the pictures--they are just amazing.

Firefight911

Awesome. Thanks you so very much! It is scenes like this that remind us of the ravages of war.

Truly amazing! thumbsup.gif

Great pictures François, my son recognized the pictures as he has been there before. My wife and I plan on being there in early December, wanted to make it on the 31st as it is her 60th birthday but will have to settle for the beginning of December. I always enjoy reading your reports, keep up the good work.

Particularly beautiful and poignant photography, Francois. Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us. Love the reflecting pool as well as the PS job on the shot of the Jeepster in the village. Terrific!

re: There were also a surprising number of German visitors on the grounds !

Hopefully in a genuine spirit. In a scene beyond irony I saw many Japanese tourists at Pearl Harbor during a HI trip last January. I assume most are generations distanced from the event and just seeing all the standard sights as part of their itinerary.

re: so many thousands of young men fought their way up..... only to lose their lives in Normandy or elsewhere, further in the campaign.

I was just now watching a US Revolutionary war documentary and suprised hear of the number of "colonials" killed at the first significant battle of the war, Bunker Hill ... sad but true citizen soldiers have been getting killed in combat for 100's of years.

The British had taken the ground, but at a stiff cost; 1,054 were shot (226 dead and 828 wounded), and a disproportionate number of these were officers. The American losses were only about 450, of whom 140 were killed (including Joseph Warren), and 30 captured {20 of whom died} http://www.answers.com/topic/battle-of-bunker-hill

74925633-L.jpg

Beautiful pics as usual Francois.

I remember it as a serenely majestic place - and a truly fitting tribute to those who gave their lives.

As I wandered thru the graves I was struck by the young age of most of the fallen.

I suppose we should also remind ourselves that the German families lost their loved ones too.

RIP

Gentlemen, it certainly sounds like you are on the trip of a lifetime and enjoying every minute of it. Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing them.

One question though: it looks like Marty's BMW still has its US registry license plates on it. Is that legal to do? What sort of paperwork was involved in getting the bike legal to ride in Europe? Who transported it over there?

Francois_Dumas

Hi Mac,

yes it is perfectly legal. He hasn't 'imported' it or anything, is just riding abroad, as I do with my Dutch license plate all the time. I think there is a time limit to it though.. the bike has to be out of the country again within an x-number of days (I believe 90?), or it will be considered 'imported'... with all the associated cost.

It was transported by Knopf Tours in Germany.

http://www.knopftours.com

But Marty can fill you in on all the details .... as soon as he gets tired of watching Dutch TV again...... I reckon in about 5 minutes smirk.gifeek.gifgrin.gif

Many folks bring bikes over. Bmwoa has a list under travel in europe. As Francois said, Knoff brought mine over. Only requirement was an original title...the German customs office promptly lost it. I now have a very official letter stating so. Need to get a new one after I return/they promised to pay for it. That should be fun.

One question though: it looks like Marty's BMW still has its US registry license plates on it. Is that legal to do? What sort of paperwork was involved in getting the bike legal to ride in Europe?

There's a UN Convention which permits vehicles from countries that are signed up to it to visit other countries on a temporary import basis. It's possible to take a vehicle to most countries in the world without too much in the way of formalities.

Francois_Dumas
Thanks for the history & pictures. Lets hope it never happens again.

Amen to that !

Thanks for all these photos, very thought provoking, I really must take my Daughters there to remind them of what our forebears have sacrificed for our freedom.

Steve

Thanks for the history & pictures. Lets hope it never happens again.

Amen to that !

I know combat vets, have worked in the defense industry, own guns "etc." but those factors aside the pattern of it all is still quite sad.

There is a unique, Stonehenge replica, war memorial near the Columbia gorge area WA:

4323901-L.jpg

Built by Sam Hill as a tribute to the soldiers of Klickitat County who lost their lives, Maryhill's Stonehenge is the first monument in our nation to honor the dead of World War I. The structure is a full-scale replica of England's famous neolithic Stonehenge. A Quaker pacifist, Hill was mistakenly informed that the original Stonehenge had been used as a sacrificial site, and thus constructed the replica to remind us that ''humanity is still being sacrificed to the god of war.''

These plaques showing short lives of farm boys shipped off to die after living wth (I assume) itchy wool uniforms, bad food and confusing commands far from home made me very sad

4345873-L.jpg

I am now very homesick for Europe. I summered in that part of Normandy. It is one of the most tranquil places on earth. We had a house near Cauvicourt just North of Falaise. A lot of history in that little ville.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

we as a country should never forget what those brave soldiers did back on June 6, 1944. My dad was in D-Day. Remember the opening scene from the movie "Saving Private Ryan"? I always respected him growing up but if the reality was anything like the movie....My God!!!

when he and I were both older we would sit around and chat, but he could never talk about D-Day, Battle of the Bulge or WWII in General despite my pleas to learn more.

He's gone now but I revere him more than ever for the sacrifices he made to give me a better life. Think I'll go visit his grave after work today.

thanks for taking me there.

Rick G

Francois_Dumas

Thank you Rick.

I am really glad this particular thread had so many views and reactions.

Many of us have almost 'direct' memories from that episode, through our parents. It means many things to many people of course, but most importantly we are all very grateful for what those soldiers did in 1944, and before and beyond.

I am grateful that there are still so many monuments around, and so many people who take their children to see, and hopefully, learn from it.

Francois

Thanks for the ongoing photos of your wonderful tour with Marty. It's not the same as being there, certainly, but your photos offer a vivid window out past my local 'horizon'.

Francois,

Thanks once again for your pictures. My brother is going to Normandy later this summer. Sadly I don't think man will ever learn the true cost of war.

Archived