IGNORED

Riding Gear

Stresspuppy

This isn’t a wethead specific question, but thought I would ask here to start. 

I’m coming from a cruiser where riding gear (for those of us that actually wear gear 🙄) is a leather jacket with padding, pants with Kevlar lining and pads (knees and hips). But just about all Sport Touring riders I see wear a different style of gear. Not sure what to call it but I’m sure you know what I mean. 

For my ride home with the new-to-me RT I layered up with a long sleeve shirt, Axial 1st layer, then my padded leather jacket (perforated - first issue with colder weather right there), Frogg Togg top when it was raining. For the bottom I had wool base layer, with padded and Kevlar jeans, covered by Frogg pants on both during the rain and just the cold (to cut the wind) with two pair of wool socks in waterproof just above the ankle boots. Leather gloves with liners during the rain sort of worked but for the cold I had to switch to ski gloves (which obviously don’t offer much protection if I were to go down). It all worked, mostly. Temps as low as mid-40s when it wasn’t raining. Raining was mid to upper 50s, maybe low 60s.

1. Why the different gear? Seems more ADV bike suited. What are the pros and cons?

2. For “normal” riding, what is your choice of gear?

3. Where do I start?

I’m sure one can go crazy with this, but my knee-jerk thought is I just need a non-perf leather jacket with padding and some better gloves.

As for the type of riding I will do, I’m not sure how far into the cold I will go at this point but I’ll definitely stop if there is going to be any ice on the road or they start putting down the crap on the roads to prepare for possible snow/ice. Definitely ride as much as I can in the spring/summer/fall. No long trips planned at the moment but will be working on that over the winter. 

Any and all thoughts here are greatly appreciated. 

I'm in north TX.

So, I have summer and winter gear.

Summer - May to Oct/Nov

- mesh jacket and pants - olympia or tourmaster brand

- rain gear - currently the klim forecast pair

- summer gloves

- Gerbing Heated liner

Winter - Nov to Apr/May

- mesh jacket and pants olympia or tourmaster brand

- rain gear - none if the winter jacket/pants are waterproof

- summer gloves - add thin silk or cotton liners

- Gerbing Heated liner

All of that changes depending on where I'm going.... if I head to Colorado in the summer or the southeast in the winter I may adjust based on current weather / temps.

Boots - love TCX gore tex boots.

Oh to be sure , most folks here will head for the AeroStitch type of clothing . One piece , or two piece that zip together . They are water proof . built in armour that is removeable /replaceable. 

Most brands AeroStitch/Klim Tour Rider have many vents and secure pockets . Some have built in water bottle pockets . 

Although not cheap , most of these touring suits last longer than most riders keep thier bikes . 

Some of the benefits include , easy to don and get out of . Easy to layer and almost all have lots of adjustability . 

I rode into work this morning at 33.8 degrees. Heavy Milwaukee brand leather jacket, scarf, FF helmet, thinsulate gloves and just jeans (no chaps.)

After that ride, I will probably wire in my Gerbing heated gloves from the last bike and only if I were to ride more than 30 minutes to work, will I consider warmer leg coverings.

The bike currently runs a Werks windshield (excellent!!!) and the pocket of air that it and the fairing provide is the best IMO.

• Like 1

Im in South Texas.  BMW Mesh jacket year round.  In the winter I put the liner in it.  Kevlar jeans some....Klim pants some, motoport pants some.

Always Shoei Helmet with silk head liner, Leather gloves with gel, hiking boots with steel toes...  I don't care for motorcycle boots.

If real cold, Gerbings heated vest.  If below 10F Gerbings heated glove also and maybe a balaclava.  If feet get cold, which they do, I insert those little packets you sqeeze to make them get hot.  They cost about a $1 and I probably have 50 of them.

Rain gear is always on the bike.  Rain pants are Columbia, but rain jacket is serious fishing jacket from Simms.  Nothing better than Simms rain gear and I've tried a bunch.

This one.

M's G3 Guide Wading Jacket | Simms Fishing Products

I have a beautiful leather jacket made by Hein-Gericke... before First Gear acquired them.  Truly a piece of clothing art.  But I never wear it anymore.  When it rains, leather sucks.  On hot days, black leather is too hot, even with lots of zip vents.  On cold days, leather is too cold. 

I am based in Colorado, where the weather can vary from freezing to scorching within a few hours, and where rain is always possible even on mostly clear days, and where changes in altitude lead to vastly different riding conditions.  To be comfortable without hauling an entire wardrobe closet, I wear a synthetic waterproof outer layer, and carry a waterproof heated liner, and also a soaker cooling vest.  I also carry a super sheer long sleeve wind shirt that I can layer with the other stuff, and which weighs nothing and compacts to the size of a hand towel.  With this combo, I can go anywhere in any conditions.

It's just my observation, but I think the cruiser crowd seems to do most of their riding in short distances locally to the nearest tavern and back on weekends.  Leather looks great for that, and serves its purpose.  But I do mostly long distance riding, and I need to carry the minimum amounts of clothing that keep me safe and comfortable for the widest range of conditions.  So, I have evolved to techno-wear.

Cap

Thanks for the input and perspectives. Good points on "leathers". Look good, but not as practical as one might hope.

I am/was that cruiser guy make the short trips on the weekends but after my haul from NH to VA on the RT, it may have been some sort of conversion experience as I just want to get out and ride more and see more stuff. 

While out and about today I stopped at a place that had Tour Master Mariner and Highlander 3-season gear. Waterproof, liners for warmth, level 2 armor (except back, but easily added). Seem like a good options as starting points. Any one have any experience with these two, good or bad? Something better in the same price point?

45 minutes ago, Stresspuppy said:

Thanks for the input and perspectives. Good points on "leathers". Look good, but not as practical as one might hope.

Unless you buy the best, of course:

https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-transit-3-waterproof-leather-jacket.html

I have the full two piece suit and it works for the majority of riding conditions in my area and on my bike. Most riders won't pay the price, but for me it was the best motocycle gear investment ever. Besides a K-bike, that is.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Hosstage said:

What was the price point?

Mariner: jacket $290, pants $210

Highlander - jacket $400, pants $290

Waterproof Tour Master boot $140

I thought your riding gear sounded good. They work for you, so stick with them. If you find issues while riding then think about some new gear. Riding gear is about protection, not fashion. Enjoy your riding.

Difference in Sport Touring gear? Yes. Biggest difference is much of the gear you would see on BMW riders here is built for protection first, comfort a very close second, 3rd durability over years of use, and last what it looks like. 

Rarely will you see a leather jacket or suit. Leather IS good and has its place. Comfort isn't usually up to par with some of the synthetic materials. 

I would add that riders here probably are going to be accused ( accurately) of having too much riding gear. I certainly do. BUT...there is a reason and while I may only use my preferred cold weather gear once a year, that may be a 4-5000 mile round trip out to Beatty and back the long way around. 

I own and use an Aerostich suit. They are worth what they cost and I could use one for all riding....until it hits 80 degrees. Then I want out of them. Then comes my mesh gear. MotoPort mesh kevlar is probably the most protective suit I own and it works very well at higher temperatures. 

Watch for good used Aerostich gear, comes up fairly often. A good place to start...

• Like 2

As mentioned, there is no perfect riding gear.

Sometimes it takes a while to find the right gear that works for you. Don't fear buying the wrong thing if it feels right at the time. It may work well, it may not, only one way to find out. And don't be afraid to admit it's wrong and keep using it but not liking it just because you paid for it. Sell it and find the right pieces.

Good luck!

• Plus 1 1

I wear a Aerostich Roadcrafter suit and am on my third one, bought used for $300. Things to watch out for when buying used are zipper and velcro condition. Also have a Klim Badlands Pro jacket/pants that are also well made with additional vents compared to Aerostich, and a Klim mesh jacket that is seldom used.

I like not having to stop and put on a separate rain suit along with the extra bulk it would add to the gear I pack.

Several pair of gloves to suit conditions including Goretex. Gerbings heated liner. BMW boots with Goretex. Shoei Neotec helmet.

On the other hand is my riding partner who lives in Minnesota. We meet annually to ride somewhere in between...usually the Rockies. We met in the Navy in the '70s and both bought new Norton 850s. After the Navy (1976) he bought a new leather jacket at a Harley dealer and still wears it for riding. When it gets hot he packs it away and rides with a tee shirt. Always with jeans, boots and gloves. Works for him. I've tried to talk him into making the 90 mile trek to Duluth and check out Aerostich, to no avail.

• Like 1

Year round riders are damn near meteorologist and dress according to the trips they predict (for short rides, long rides pack for it all). 

As a near daily rider, I've, like most, have an assortment of kit to wear.  I'm cheep, so most of my stuff is purchased lightly used, no sense paying full buck for something that I may not like/feel good in (I have given away a couple of jackets that I just didn't like).  I think the only leather I have is gloves.

Aerostich suit is broken out when the weather gets cooler.  Various jackets of mesh and non-mesh are worn during the warmer/hot times of year.  I only have one jacket that I put in, take out the liner (Transition III), all others go linerless even for rain (long rain trips, I use the aerostich suit, but give the crotch a spray of neverwet).  I've a couple pair of pants that will occasionally get thrown on, but most days, I ride jeans/slacks.  Bike boots are weather dependent--mainly rain, otherwise, I wear Danner hikers.  I've also got heated gear for the cold days and layer according to the temps.

Your gear needs to be chosen by you.  Comfort depends on you and what you can tolerate, what may be comfortable to one may not be comfortable to another, hence, buy used to try, if you really really like the brand/style, on your next go around, if it's that important, buy new.

I’m sort of a use the gear that you have guy. If it is in good shape and works for you regardless of style go with it. I’ve seen plenty of folks with cruiser style gear riding on BMWs….except maybe not the chaps or fingerless gloves:grin:.  LOL I suppose one could sport the cruiser gear up by cutting the fringe off, but I wouldn’t.  Ride with the gear the that gets it done.

My main piece of riding gear is a two piece Aerostotch bought 23 years ago when they were only one of a couple companies making that quality textile gear. That gear will likely make my estate sale as it is still in perfect condition.  Now everyone is in the game with high durability textile gear, so there is lots to choose from.  I got it semi-custom fitted while passing through Duluth on a vacation trip (a mix match of std sizes for pants and jacket). I forgot what it cost and yes it was pricey, but still not full leathers pricey. On a dollar per year of use basis it has been a great value.  I also have a Aerostitch heated vest.

My warmest jacket is a first gear leather with the venting closed and the liner in. It is your standard black jacket that has kept me out of certain pubs because “that is a motorcycle jacket and we don’t allow that in here”.  I  bought the bib zip on accessory for the Aerostich pants and wear that with my leather jacket for cold weather riding. Add in the heated vest I stay warm down to ice on the roads. I’m not that that hard core ride at any temperature anymore so that combo is a rare suit up.

The gloves are most of the time light armored with venting and a set of all weather insulated gauntlets.  Heated grips make the all weather gauntlets an almost never choice. Here I have found that the $130+ gloves last 5x longer than the $50-75 gloves so the better value is go top shelf.

Lots of folks go for the nice riding boots.  I’m too cheap for that and have always used steel toed work boots….any color what ever is on sale works best for me.

Usually have Shoei helmets.  Bought when on sale.  I’m old school and still ride with a 3/4 helmet mostly  but do have a full a face as well.

I bought a Harley branded leather jacket in 1994 for $400, a lot of money back then. Some may have thought I was nuts for paying that much for a jacket when Bermann Buckskin was selling them for $99. It is still my only riding jacket and shockingly still fits, money well spent. And it looks cool all old and well patina'd. I wore that and my chaps, also from 1994, on a European trip thru the Alps on a BMW RT. Yes, looked out of place. Didn't care. I was warm.

If I ever get an RT, it will most likely be my riding gear, no need for fancy riding apparel. Besides, I'm CHEAP! Won't be wearing a helmet much either, meaning I will be an outlier in the BMW world, and surely looked down upon by the faithful.

Hey, someone's gotta set a bad example!

Don't get me started on the number of pairs of gloves I've gone thru and still currently use.

I own 2 Harleys, and for a while owned an old Honda Magna. I would wear my Harley T-shirt while riding it and tell strangers that one day I'm gonna get me a Harley, and I've already started buying shirts for when I do. They'd just look at me like, oookaaay.

I guess my point is, as @eisenwal said, stick with what you have if it's comfortable until you are ready to make a change, then as I mentioned, don't let fear of a wrong choice stop you.

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Don't get me started on the number of pairs of gloves I've gone thru and still currently use.

in 2010, I bought a pair of Scorpion Klaw gloves, they're still going strong after all these years and are worn on the regular, in the rain and sun.  They be my RT riding gloves.  I have GS riding gloves and winter get the Gerbings in the morning.

Hosstage...what a rebel...you might be surprised to know my tee shirt or long sleeve tee shirt is Harley branded.  People look when I get off of BMW wearing Harley gear.  The best riding boots I ever owned were Harley branded, but they wore out so now I just wear my hiking boots  

Harley makes good clothes and when I need gear, I stroll down to Republic Harley Davidson.  The guy that sold me my last 2-new BMW's move to their sales management team about 5 years ago.  He still calls me by name when I walk in.

• Like 1

Yes, riding gear is quite personal, much like the bikes themselves. Start out with a base and customize to what fits you best (extremely true of my Honda VTX). And I don't disagree with "if it ain't broke..." but while it worked to get me home, I felt it was sub-optimal. Not sure what optimal would be for me at this point, but as has been said, I need to start somewhere and see what works, not stressing making a mistake, and go from there. I will likely go through many things before I get to something that works, and I'm sure I'll have multiple things to cover different situations. I will say that my Shoei Neotech II helmet was, while expensive, a very worthwhile expenditure and I love it.

The challenge from a rain gear perspective is that even though the Frogg Toggs worked, I see them as a short term solution. In just that one trip there is wear on the knees (from the wind?!?!) and on the inside of the calves from rubbing against the pegs I think. My leather jacket, while armored and not terrible, is perforated and even with a liner isn't the best choice. Gloves - thank heavens for Amazon's return policy. I know I have been through at least 10 pair (buy, try the fit, return) trying to find something to fit my stubby fingers that is touchscreen capable. I fear finding ones for colder weather will be a challenge as well.

I'm shopping locally to get started since I can try stuff on and see how it fits. One place is a local shop, the other is a Cycle Gear that I need to give a try. For now, as long as it has the appropriate protection and covers some other bases, I'm comfortable not spending the money on Aerostitch or other top end things. I may end up there, but I'm not sure that is the best place to start and keep within a reasonable budget.

I think I'm down to the Tourmaster Mariner or the Tourmaster Highlander. A couple of challenges as they seem a bit bulkier than my leather jacket and the coat runs past my waist meaning it bunches up with I sit down. I get why - for the coverage when it is wet - but feels odd. I do like the pockets and number of vents for when it is warm but see that as fall, winter, spring gear. I feel I'd probably get something more mesh in the summer and carry the Frogg Toggs just in case. Another challenge is I'm not sure how far into the cold I will ride and how long my trips will be. Length doesn't matter because I will wear gear, period (no judgement to others) so protection and comfort are key.

In typical Virginia fall weather, the last couple of weeks have been in the days in the 40-65 range. this week is it more like 50-80, with it going back down again next week. Almost need two sets of gear now to not sweat to death or freeze. Hard to try on warmer, lined gear when it is in the upper 70s or more.

I wear Aerostitch RoadCradter Classic 2 piece, but my son did something similar to you and switched from a sport bike to a R1200RT. He found a very nice 2 piece suit at Cycle Gear, matching jacket and pants with a thermo liner and vents. It is also waterproof. It is one of their house brands, but looks very solid, off white in color or light gray with reflective stuff. I think it is a great suit for starting out. I don’t know what the exact price was, but it was reasonable and they had a sale going on. Keep you eyes open, Revzilla and cycle gear run specials for any reason. Bla Friday is coming soon.