IGNORED

Help !! Clutch bleed question.

joeb

2019 r1200gs.  Hi all. On my way to the Smokies and my clutch seems spongy. Bled it a little and seems to help. But, can't undo the lid on the reservoir to fill it. Does it screw off ? Also, the cap says use mineral oil , can dot 4 brake fluid be used ?

Feeling a little stranded. 

Thanks.

16979933820313342156815025957885.jpg

1 hour ago, joeb said:

2019 r1200gs.  Hi all. On my way to the Smokies and my clutch seems spongy. Bled it a little and seems to help. But, can't undo the lid on the reservoir to fill it. Does it screw off ? Also, the cap says use mineral oil , can dot 4 brake fluid be used ?

Feeling a little stranded. 

Thanks.

Afternoon Joeb

That doesn't look like a 2019 r1200gs clutch reservoir, are you sure you don't have a 1200gs  hexhead motorcycle.

In any case that reservoir cap takes a special BMW tool to remove. BUT there are a couple of work-arounds .

There are 2 anti-rotation tabs that need to be depressed to unscrew the cap. You can make a slick little tool to depress those tabs with a simple piece of coat hanger wire (it will be U shaped with the ends bent inward). 

I know some have managed to remove the cover using a piece of fishing line or dental floss wrapped around the tab area then pulled tight to depress the tabs.  

Your clutch uses mineral oil so do not use ANY type of brake fluid. You can usually find mineral oil at a bicycle shop as it is used in some bicycle brake systems. 

Your clutch probably became  soft as the slave cylinder is taking in air. You can't prevent the air entry unless you install a new slave cylinder. 

But you can cut the clutch line retaining zip ties then re-route the clutch hose to allow the hose to run straighter, that usually prevents the air taken in from sticking/combining in the high spots  (there is a BMW service bulletin on that clutch hose re-route).

To prevent future problems use the clutch way more often on longer trips on the hi-way.  Even if you don't shift, operate the clutch every few minutes (that usually prevents the air from combining in the hose) 

Instead of bleeding the clutch try getting the front of the motorcycles as high as possible (higher the better), then set the clutch lever adjuster to have the lever as far out as possible, then pull the lever in & allow it to quickly snap back out (do this a number of times).   

b4mQlVL.jpg

So far no joy on getting cap off. Do the tabs get pushed RIGHT under the cap or as far down on them as possible ? The metal tab extends down about 3/16 and then there is an indent in the plastic below that with some etal showing. It's pretty narrow. Do I push in that area ?. Stuck in Lexington. Don't know if I can get to Louisville tomorrow to the bmw dealer there.

1698010811943740432392640982055.jpg

1 hour ago, joeb said:

So far no joy on getting cap off. Do the tabs get pushed RIGHT under the cap or as far down on them as possible ? The metal tab extends down about 3/16 and then there is an indent in the plastic below that with some etal showing. It's pretty narrow. Do I push in that area ?. Stuck in Lexington. Don't know if I can get to Louisville tomorrow to the bmw dealer there.

Evening Joeb

Try tightening the cap slightly as that can take some side force off of the release tabs. 

Then use a small screwdriver (or something) placed on each tab then hit the screwdriver handle with the palm of your hand to dislodge the tabs inward  (this can help initially dislodge the tabs).

Now try using your homemade tool to hold the tabs in when you unscrew the cap. OR, use two small screwdrivers or anything that will fit to hold both tabs in as someone else unscrews the cap. 

Or try putting a doubled up piece of dental floss around the cap (in the cap to reservoir recess), overlap the dental floss then use pliers or warp the floss around a screwdriver to tighten the floss. If you can tighten it enough to hold the tabs in you can then remove the cap. 

You need to push on the tabs in the gap between the cap & the reservoir. 

I have something that I need to attend to tonight so I won't be back until tomorrow so if you still have issues hopefully someone else can step in to help you.