IGNORED

Buy old and fix up or put the $$ into buying a newer one?

Stephen McElduff

Stephen McElduff

I may already know the answer to this one but let me throw it out there. In 2003, I had a 2002 RT 1150. Obviously it was new at the time but I loved it, even more I think than anything since. I am thinking of maybe doing an Alaska trip and back from Tampa in a few years and am wondering if it would make any sense to find an old 2002 with less than 50K miles on it and fix it to excellent working condition or, rather than put 1000s into parts, labor, etc. (I'd hope to do most work myself, which in itself might be a bad idea) buy something newer..... I guess if I am gonna do the epic trip of this magnitude I had better not try to "go cheap" by buying an older bike. With all that could go wrong mechanically, logistically and just plain PITA things I guess I should bite the bullet and get the most bike I can with all of the $$ I got to begin with. I been gone awhile so I also assume technically there's a universe of difference between today and a bike 20 years old.... I think I just answered my question but who knows, maybe someone will think otherwise. As always, THANKS so much for feedback, be gentle with me please, I know I probably had a few "bad ideas", but that's why I asked. Thanks again

Are you comparing the options of a 20 year old bike vs a new bike with a warranty and dealer support? If you’re just comparing an old used bike with a not as old used bike that’s a different thing. I think I’d look at how much money I wanted to spend/could afford to spend and figure out what that could get me - and then from those options pick the one that made me the most excited. 

No bike is a sure thing on a trip like that. 

I owned a 2005 1150RT I put about 50k mostly trouble free miles on. That said, the 1150’s are getting long in the tooth and with a lot of historic data, there are known problems

The ABS module is a weak point. You have 3 choices; buy a new unit $2500, send to rebuilder which takes months, or remove it requiring some new plumbing

The final drive crown bearing is a known Achilles heel and requires some good tooling, skills, and money to fix. There are lots of reports on this. Just search here. 

The ujoints in the driveshaft have had many problems. 

Transmission output shaft is another high failure item. Search for difficulty. 

If the HES hasn’t failed it will. 

Even if you do all the work parts are really expensive.

If you found one for say $2500, you will likely spend that much or more on parts before long, not counting time, labor, and possibly get stranded. 

For me, I would up my budget some and look for a 1200 Hexhead, and if within your budget… the water cooled bikes starting in 2013 for a GS and 2014 for RT’s have been void of many serious issues. The one issue on the wetheads is if the alternator goes out, you have to split the engine or pay BMW~$3500 to do it. I’ve only heard of 1 or 2 so not very prevalent. 

No matter what problem you find on an 1150, someone here will have an answer/fix

There is another thread here called...show me your oilhead.  You will see some high mileage very happy 1150 owners...so don't just dismiss the idea..do enough research on the bike, the records, maintenance etc to make an informed decision.

Just my$.02. 

A 2007 plus Hexhead or better yet, a 2010-2013 Camhead will be much better for your stated purpose. Much lighter, more power, much better transmission and abs system.(and much less problem areas.)

11 hours ago, Stephen McElduff said:

I may already know the answer to this one but let me throw it out there. In 2003, I had a 2002 RT 1150. Obviously it was new at the time but I loved it, even more I think than anything since. I am thinking of maybe doing an Alaska trip and back from Tampa in a few years and am wondering if it would make any sense to find an old 2002 with less than 50K miles on it and fix it to excellent working condition or, rather than put 1000s into parts, labor, etc. (I'd hope to do most work myself, which in itself might be a bad idea) buy something newer..... I guess if I am gonna do the epic trip of this magnitude I had better not try to "go cheap" by buying an older bike. With all that could go wrong mechanically, logistically and just plain PITA things I guess I should bite the bullet and get the most bike I can with all of the $$ I got to begin with. I been gone awhile so I also assume technically there's a universe of difference between today and a bike 20 years old.... I think I just answered my question but who knows, maybe someone will think otherwise. As always, THANKS so much for feedback, be gentle with me please, I know I probably had a few "bad ideas", but that's why I asked. Thanks again

Morning   Stephen McElduff

Personally I wouldn't pick a 2002 1150RT for a trip like that unless I have owned it for at least 20,000 miles myself. Then I would probably remove the transmission & check the transmission splines sometime before the trip. 

If you fail the transmission splines on a long trip far from home it instantly turns a trip of a lifetime into a nightmare of a lifetime.  

David (couple of posts above) mentioned most of the possible issues but the possibility of failed splines would be the biggest worry. 

Keep in mind you are probably on your own with an older BMW motorcycle as a LOT of motorcycle shops won't even work on older BMW's & the few that still do don't like to take on major repairs on older bikes during the busy season. 

A 1200 hexhead  (late 2008 or 2009) or camhead would probably a better choice, plus on most hexheads/camheads bikes you get cruise control, that is a BIG help on long trips.   

But even on a late1200 hexhead or camhead I would inspect, or better yet replace, the throttle body cams before the trip as a broken throttle body plastic cam can become a very large PITA on a trip.  

• Like 1
Stephen McElduff

Man, I forgot how great this site was, thanks so much for all the information. I don't plan on getting another one anytime soon (local traffic much too dangerous and wife don't want to do the long ride thing, she fell off her bicycle last year going 10 mph and has not been the same since so she is not too keen anymore on bike idea) Anyway, at least I can ride vicariously here by reading...THANKS AGAIN.....will save all the info in my files....basically what I expected to hear but the specifics made it much much stronger on the side of "spend what you can with initial purchase"....  I have cousins in NY who have multiple old Cadillacs up on blocks that they bought for n 1000 $$ and spent n*2 dollars and they still don't run, insane amount of $$. Thanks 

On a trip like that I would just drive my 4 wheeled rig and save myself the agony and maybe even a bunch of money.  I mean why beat yourself mile after mile after.......  Better yet there is Alaska Airlines then rent a car.  Oh wait...there aren't any roads in Alaska anyway.

Two friends of mine here (Atlanta area) did the Alaska trip last summer.  After both complaining about how brutal the ALCAN road (just gravel and chemicals) was on their GS bikes and how they would NEVER be able to get them clean again, I asked one what he would do differently next time.   He said, "I would not take a good bike.  I'd buy a shit-bike, take it, and sell it when I got back."  The other guy did sell his and upgraded.  Neither of these guys is an obsessive neat freak.

1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

After both complaining about how brutal the ALCAN road (just gravel and chemicals)

The Alcan? Maybe they/you are thinking of the haul road? (Dalton Hwy.)  The Alcan itself is pretty much all paved; though there are some section under construction/repaving each year, it's not sprayed down with any chemicals other than what you might find on fresh chip seal. The Dalton though is mostly NOT paved and is sprayed to minimize dust (though you'd be hard pressed to believe it was "minimal" dust looking at a bike after riding it even in dry conditions). 

All the same, there is credence to the idea of not taking a bike you want to look its prettiest on that sort of trip....

• Thanks 1

I picked up an 04 1150RT back on June 2nd. It had had a recent HES swap & a stick coil although I replaced them & kept the newer one for a spare. I've gone through it pretty well & did some necessary updates to it like a starter (no signs of failing input shaft splines while I was in there), plugs, multiple fluid changes, Denali lights, a set of tires, valve adjustments, TB syncs & added an afxied thingie. I've put 13000 miles on it this summer, mostly in New England. I took it down to Athens, GA not long after I got it & had made changes to it but I'm heading to Athens from Massachusetts via BRP & western NC beginning Friday after work. Hoping to be in Harrisburg, PA for the night & on the BRP an hour or 2 after sun up on Saturday. Oh & I've done 2 track days on it to boot. I'd ride it anywhere.

So if you find the right bike, one that has been maintained & cared for & you have "a feeling" it's the right one, go for it. Working on these bike is pretty simple & doing your own work on a bike somehow connects you better to it. The ABS flush is made out to be far more difficult than it is, btw. I will say the 34ish bolts holding the tupperware on is a pain in the butt to take off & put back on & you have to remove it to access just about everything.

• Smile 1
1 hour ago, 46nto said:

I will say the 34ish bolts holding the tupperware on is a pain in the butt to take off & put back on

Not so bad once you’ve done it thirty or forty times. So, like, after three services and two repairs…

• Haha 1
On 10/22/2023 at 6:55 AM, Stephen McElduff said:

Man, I forgot how great this site was, thanks so much for all the information. I don't plan on getting another one anytime soon (local traffic much too dangerous and wife don't want to do the long ride thing, she fell off her bicycle last year going 10 mph and has not been the same since so she is not too keen anymore on bike idea) Anyway, at least I can ride vicariously here by reading...THANKS AGAIN.....will save all the info in my files....basically what I expected to hear but the specifics made it much much stronger on the side of "spend what you can with initial purchase"....  I have cousins in NY who have multiple old Cadillacs up on blocks that they bought for n 1000 $$ and spent n*2 dollars and they still don't run, insane amount of $$. Thanks 

It's amazing how cheaply one can buy trouble.  Old saying, "If you want to buy oats, good oats, then you have to pay for good oats.  If you don't mind oats that have been through a horse, well, they come cheaper."

On 10/25/2023 at 10:02 AM, szurszewski said:

Not so bad once you’ve done it thirty or forty times. So, like, after three services and two repairs…

I only had my R1150RT since about July and have had the Tupperware off 6 times already.   I try to do as much as I can afford each time i take it off.  

The post says its in Sugarland Texas.  Thats about 10 miles from me.  If you get serious and want me to take a look, let me know.  I can use the list DR published earlier today about earlier 1200 recalls and faults.

Stephen- I didn't read all of the comments but my 2c would be to fix up your old bike AND buy another newer one. Wasn't really my plan, but that's what I did! 😃

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dave P said:

Stephen- I didn't read all of the comments but my 2c would be to fix up your old bike AND buy another newer one. Wasn't really my plan, but that's what I did! 😃

He doesn't have the old bike any longer. But, he *could* buy two bikes ;)

Stephen,

For cost reference purposes, I recently purchased a 2002 R1150RT that had 8,700 miles on it. Never saw rain and didn't ever bake in this Florida sun. It's only service history was the 2,000 mile break in service. Then it sat for over 18 years. While I did get it for a decent fair price, between tires, brake lines, rear shock, fork seals, fluids, filters, etc., etc., I'm approaching $3,000 additional cost and I'm doing the work myself. My point is that even if the old bike has virtually NO wear, just the sheer age of the thing alone can set you back some sheckles. I'm almost done, and enjoying riding it, but I sure wouldn't trust it yet for a trip like that. Too many cobwebs hiding under there yet, I think!

Cheers, Randall

-Waiting for the next little hose to fail........