IGNORED

My Last Bike?

Kirbo40

Thought this would be my last new BMW. But a 26ft. box truck killed it. This was my 2017 R1200RT. Only had about 28000 miles on her. Was riding home from a safety meeting at work. Bike is at Wild West in Katy,TX. Mike at Wild West told me he stopped adding up parts at 20k$ to fix it so pretty sure it's totalled. I am OK mostly - got a broken nose & cheekbone and about 40 stitches in my face. I think the windshield came in my helmet opening and did all the damage to my face. Didn't break the windshield, but it broke the windshield mounts. Really torqued my hands and wrists, thumbs are still pretty sore and this happened a month ago. My family jewels slammed into the gas tank and swelled up to the size of oranges and turned black - OUCH!!! Had on a Shoei Neotec2 helmet and Firstgear mesh jacket and TCX boots, and some good leather gloves, Still got some scrapes on the backs of both hands and a long scrape on my left forearm. Cut on my nose went all the way thru my nose - they had to sew that up in three layers they said. So I guess I am  looking to get a new '23 or '24 RT once I can ride again. Meanwhile we still have Linda's '05 RT I can ride till the insurance pays up.

Kirbo

20230926_121604.jpg

20230926_121521.jpg

20230926_121530.jpg

20230922_094902.jpg

20230926_121517.jpg

Edited by Kirbo40
adding pics
  • Sad 4

Wow, you got yourself banged up pretty well, and it doesn’t really have to be said, but it beats the alternative! :4315: Glad you’ll heal, and new bikes is good medicine. :18:

Wow, that was a hit. Glad you came out of it still walking. I don't see any way that bike is considered for repair. Good luck with recovery, and good luck with shopping for your next last bike.

18 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I don't see any way that bike is considered for repair. 

Sure it can, my ole man is a television repairman he's got an ultimate set of tools.

• Smile 2
22 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Sure it can, my ole man is a television repairman he's got an ultimate set of tools.

Of course it can be repaired, especially with an ultimate set of tools, but it would more than likely end up with a salvage title, totalled by insurance company and rebuilt by someone with a lot of time on their hands.

Yowzer Kirbo.  Between you and the bike, I think you got the better of the deal.  Never thought about the wind screen being able to penetrate a full face lid. Thanks for sharing that.  Glad you were wearing all the right stuff.  It served you well.  Get better soon and start planning how to farkel that next bike.

8 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Kirbo40. Glad you are still with us. That’s a nasty set of injuries. 

What happened?

I was on the  feeder road to BW8 north bound doing  about 50 mph coming up to  Genoa Red Bluff intersection on a green light and the box truck was  in the u-turn lane just past the light. I'm in the  left lane  and he starts  to  come out so I move to the  middle lane.  He comes into the middle  lane  so I  move to the far right lane. About now I am maybe 20 or 30 feet  from  him and realize he's  trying to  go straight  across  into  the  Shell station and slam on the brakes. I remember  thinking  oh ***** this is gonna hurt!!! Next thing  I  remember is sitting in the road yelling  What the ***** happened? My bike is  on it's  right side 6 feet in  front  of me still running  in gear.  It punched  the  truck  in the  right front  wheel. People came  running  out of the  Shell  station and one of them shut the bike  off. They wouldn't  let me  gel  up till the ambulance  got there.  After that is a story you can probably guess - lot of pain and waiting for docs and  nurses  to  do their  thing.

Kirbo

• Sad 1

Ouch. I have one just like yours, pre-impact (2017 RT, whatever they called the blue-black color, 27K miles). Glad you are still with us, and hope you heal up quickly.

Left turn in front of a motorcycle....Number one in motorcycle / car (or truck,) accidents. I'm guessing that the driver 'didn't see you'?

Good luck on getting this settled asap. Heal quickly!

Dave (on another blue/black 2017 RT (Carbon black/schwartz):4322:

Kirbo40… local Houston club having maintenance day and club sponsored lunch tomorrow. Come by if you are up to it

I know that exact location. Been through there many times

Thanks for  all the  well wishing and for the invite David. Back at work on nights so I will be  sleeping tomorrow.  That intersection is only  about a  mile from my house.

Kirbo40