IGNORED

E-bikes are not motorcycles, EU Court rules

MotoNews

My question has always been about it being classified as a motorized vehicle. Many walking paths, hiking paths, say "No Motorized Vehicles Allowed". Bicycles are allowed, and speed limits can be imposed, as well as safety rules regarding them, but technically, an electrically assisted bicycle is a motorized vehicle. Just because it doesn't burn fossil fuel or make noise like one doesn't mean it's not motorized. Should they be allowed? 

And on a personal observation note, I've seen them riding way too fast on walking and hiking paths. My quiet neighborhood street is 20 mph and many exceed that limit quite often. F those evil bicyclists!

Yes it is a motorized vehicle, however unlike a motorcycle or e-motorcycle, it is also capable of manual propulsion and that gives them the right/technical right for exclusion. Mind you as someone who has ridden 2 wheels since the 1978 for transportation starting with a regular 10-speed....safety in 99% of the cases are the pedestrians own fault in situations where there is a collision between the bicycle or e-bicycle and a pedestrian. I have slammed into 2 pedestrians and in both cases the pedestrian did not care to look. I fortunately came out on the better end. In one case the parent of child knew it was his own kid's fault. And the 2nd case pedestrian, welll don't know and did not care, as I more or less kept going I was moving at maybe 20-25 miles on the road-way.....and pedestrian thought it was a good idea to walk illegally(jay-walk) across the road-way......

7 hours ago, Rougarou said:

This takes gas,.....and can be peddled,.....does this fall on the walking path freeway.

Moped - Wikipedia

My thoughts too, but Evil Gas Burner, no way it's allowed. And never has been. But now electric is. Why is one motor allowed, the other not, if manual propulsion is the qualifier?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Rougarou said:

This takes gas,.....and can be peddled,.....does this fall on the walking path freeway.

Moped - Wikipedia

I've always thought the word motorcycle was a misnomer.  In hiskool shop class I was taught that an engine used combustion and a motor used elektrisity.  Even Mr Google says the same.  Soooo, in an area is closed to motorized vehicles, combustion engine vehicles should be OK and those E things should be prohibited.  Makes perfect sense to me.

• Like 2