IGNORED

Intermittent ABS light

Gru

03 r 1150 rs, light comes on first time I brake, stop and turn the key on and off then it goes away. Brakes still work, but I am concerned about the light.

8 hours ago, Gru said:

03 r 1150 rs, light comes on first time I brake, stop and turn the key on and off then it goes away. Brakes still work, but I am concerned about the light.

Morning Gru

Is it "for sure" the ABS light & not the general warning light? General warning light being OFF with ABS light being ON usually tells you  that you only have "residual braking" (no power braking)  in both ABS circuits. 

If in fact it is the ABS light then this is going to be difficult to diagnose over the internet. 

The ABS light on solid typically means the system is in residual braking (no power assist) but you are saying the brakes still work as normal?

Do your brakes still have power assist when the ABS light is ON ??????

If it's the general warning light ON then possibly you have a burnt out tail light (you can't tell by just looking at the tail light for being lit) as the ABS system turns the brake light on at partial brightness then illuminates the dash general warning light when the tail light burns out. 

Does the cold engine crank over with authority? If it cranks over slowly then possibly you have a weak battery but in most cases that isn't the cause of a dash ABS warning light on the BMW 1150 (I-ABS) system motorcycles. 

There was a special 1150 RS baking system option, I really don't know what that consists of on the 1150RS so if by chance your motorcycle has that option then there could be something different with that (parts book lists the same ABS module). Any chance that your RS has an ABS disable switch?