IGNORED

1300 RT

Jharpphoto

With the GS 1300 making headlines and looking great, what is the scuttle butt on a new R 1300 RT being in development?  Is this a realistic possibility in the near future?

Given that 2024 models are already listed I would suspect 2025 is our earliest bet. Would have been nice to see both RT and GS adopt the new motor simultaneously as they did in 2019 with the shift cam. I am holding out to see what the new suspension brings to the RT, namely that it will self lower at slow speeds and stopped sufficiently I don't find the need to replace the seat or lower it.  though I will be honest the lack of Apple Carplay among BMW stands out as a real negative but Bosch may have them by the balls on that

I don’t think BMW will offer a R1300RT. The rumor in England is that next version of the GSA will be a R1400GSA, using the same 1300 motor as the GS. I think it is possible that the next RT will be a R1400RT.

• Thinking 1

I dunno about 1400RT.  That would put the HP/Weight ration above the K1600.  I just don't see BMW doing that.  Not that I'd have a problem with it.

Is it going to get to the point that the RT is no longer a "sport touring" bike and re-classed as a "touring" bike?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Is it going to get to the point that the RT is no longer a "sport touring" bike and re-classed as a "touring" bike?

No it is already, or actually has always been classified by BMW as a touring bike. In Europe or Germany it is in the same category as K1600GTL, Gold Wings and HD Electra Glides etc. it is only on this forum that we think it is a SportTouring bike. BMW says the R1250RS, the K1600GT and the S1000R are sport touring bikes. 🫢

Tge rumor with the R1400GSA is that BMW will do something similar to what they did with the F800/700 or F850/750 model line up. Using the same displacement motor with a different tune in a different model. But we will see what really will happen. I personally don’t think it is necessary to have more power in a RT , then what the WetHead or ShiftCam already have. 

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 2
22 hours ago, Bernie said:

No it is already, or actually has always been classified by BMW as a touring bike

I think not always.  My recollection of the 1100/1150 was "sport tourer," in the trades and the BMW promo materials.  The first I noticed that it was no longer in the BMW sport touring category, and established in the touring category, was with the 1200 RT.  Anyone with more accurate info, please correct me if this is off the mark.

• Like 1
aggieengineer

I remember reading that RT stood for Reisetourer - in English, travel tourer. Not sure on the spelling. I find the handling on mine to be every bit the equal of my K1600GT.

• Like 1

Sean (former service manager at motorcycles of Charlotte) the BMW Rep at Barber answering questions about the 1300 said the 1300RT would not appear before 2025 model year the same sequence they’ve used in the past .

• Like 1
On 10/18/2023 at 12:55 PM, Rougarou said:

If you can drop one gear, nail the throttle, and loft the front wheel it's a sport tourer.

:grin:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Red said:

If you can drop one gear, nail the throttle, and loft the front wheel it's a sport tourer.

:grin:

The original Wethead R1200 RT has setting bypasses that will allow you to do just that. DAMHIK!:revit::bike::burnout::grin:

9 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Damn hoodlums popping wheelies and giving motorcyclists a bad name!

So, how do I get to those settings?

not kidding, HOW DO I GET THOSE SETTINGS?