IGNORED

Vinyl Wrap 1200RT cases?

Dave P

Both of my side cases are scratched from my bike's previous owner (really! It wasn't me). I'm contemplating trying my hand at doing a vinyl wrap on the painted lids (after filling and smoothing the scratches). Blue RT, Might go with a black carbon fiber look vinyl. Ive never done a vinyl wrap before. Has anyone wrapped RT bags before ? I've got all winter. Dave

Simple curves are easy - compound curves require skill/practice. I tried wrapping my entire r1100rt one time - made it through most of the main faring before bagging the project. If you're patient and willing to sacrifice some vinyl in the process I think you could make a go of it. Buy a small roll or some ready cut sheets from ebay, watch some youtube. What could go wrong?

• Plus 1 1

Didn't somebody on here vinyl wrap the entire bike in a beautiful green,........I sorta remember that.

Yep, quick search and here she be

Try searching YouTube: "vinyl wrap bmw motorcycle"

There are lots of videos about wrapping in general and several BMW-specific videos.

Like this:

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Didn't somebody on here vinyl wrap the entire bike in a beautiful green,........I sorta remember that.

Yep, quick search and here she be

Yes - that one looks great. There’s an older thread too with an equally nicely wrapped 1100 series RT (can’t remember if it’s an 1100 or 1150 and I’m too lazy to look on my phone). 

Do note that both were done by pros - which is why I said not to plan on getting it perfect first try (meaning, buy a little more wrap than you think you’ll need). The good part is, unlike paint, when you do a bad job on a part it’s really easy to pull it off and try again!

I saw one video where the guy cut a heart shape about 10" big, pulled off the backer and wadded it up into a ball about the size of a golf ball, then with a hair dryer (maybe a heat gun) got it all smoothed out. Didn't look wrinkled.

Seems like I could spend $30 on some vinyl and give it a shot, minimal $ investment. I will have to putty up the scratches however. If I really screw it up I can try it again, or send out for paint. D