IGNORED

Getting side case latch operating “like buttah”

Redman

Aside from getting case open….

aside from broken flap…..

aside from disassembling the case….

I got case apart (the unbroken case).

Have lubricated the button/lock mechanism. Have lubricated the flap and mechanism in top of the case and that all  operates with ease.

2567C070-909B-4DCB-A679-BC8BFFE0BF12.thumb.jpeg.a5db7b57c1086f2c62029ff6453a9531.jpeg83A00D93-7492-4382-B7FE-EB90EC35536D.thumb.jpeg.760a745c96606a1d06dfedfa6f5ee80d.jpeg

And I lubricated these slides (by my thumb and hand) but they are dragging and stiff to operate.

I first used some general purpose spray oil lube. Then tried wd40. But these slides (one more than the other) are what  is dragging.

I did notice that are these metal slides (against plastic) that easily see in pics and also on underside, so more surfaces there to lubricate.

any comment??

• Like 1

Other note:

first time I tried reassembling the case, I didn’t understand how these slides/post had to align. Took me a bit to figure out how to align them with the latch mechanism.  Next time I disassembled the case I marked these slides/post for what position they need to be in when reassembling the case. So let me share that bit of advice.

It's the dust and grit that makes the latches hard to operate. Do the best you can to get the dirt out from under the sliding band of stainless steel.  I don't like WD-40 as a lubricant because it seems to evaporate quickly. I've had good results using Sil-Glyde silicone lube, though it is difficult to work it under the slider.

Cleaned, with lube on all friction surfaces, you can lift the latch with one pinky finger.

Different types of oil/grease can cause more stiction on those slides compared to totally dry. They arent designed to have all kinds of lube in them. Best thing I have found are the spray dry-lubes with PTFE (or similar) in them.

K