IGNORED

'07 R1200RT Solid Brake Failure light on dash

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

I bought a used bike 2007 R1200RT with 100K miles on the odo and drove it from Colorado to Central California. 
No brake failure light.  Ran great.  Tires were in need of replacing.  Not a concern.  I've just now got around to checking it out nose to tail.

Brakes appear to work fine.  They were bled by previous owner.

Front right fork tube is in need of a new seal.  I can rectify that easily.

Original Gen 2 Final drive was replaced with a used '08 Gen 2 unit by previous owner.  

I removed the wheels from my '05 RT, with an issue to be looked at later, but sporting brand new tires and installed them on the '07.  Then took the bike for a short ride.  The brake failure light stayed illuminated as I rode.

Speedo seems to read appropriately. Fuel strip is good.  Gear indicator is 99% fine.  Engine and tranny is smooth.  Bike is quite ridable. 

I performed a ABS module brush test as described by DR in another thread about the brake failure light.  With the "key on" engine off, the rear wheel stopped with the front brake lever pulled.  Rear brake pedal and front brake lever independently illuminate the rear brake light.    SO that checked out.

I dust off the yellow GS911 unit that's been in my tool box for years and check for error codes.  The code number was 23953 and read: Front Wheel Speed Sensor : Signal implausible (extrapolation).  Seems weird to me.

Is it possible that the ECU with a Gen 2 FD wants to see the original '07 front wheel's speed ring reinstalled instead of the '05 wheel which worked with a Gen1 FD?  Could it be the speed ring that is causing the error code and brake failure light on the dash?

Joe

12 hours ago, CoarsegoldKid said:

I bought a used bike 2007 R1200RT with 100K miles on the odo and drove it from Colorado to Central California. 
No brake failure light.  Ran great.  Tires were in need of replacing.  Not a concern.  I've just now got around to checking it out nose to tail.

Brakes appear to work fine.  They were bled by previous owner.

Front right fork tube is in need of a new seal.  I can rectify that easily.

Original Gen 2 Final drive was replaced with a used '08 Gen 2 unit by previous owner.  

I removed the wheels from my '05 RT, with an issue to be looked at later, but sporting brand new tires and installed them on the '07.  Then took the bike for a short ride.  The brake failure light stayed illuminated as I rode.

Speedo seems to read appropriately. Fuel strip is good.  Gear indicator is 99% fine.  Engine and tranny is smooth.  Bike is quite ridable. 

I performed a ABS module brush test as described by DR in another thread about the brake failure light.  With the "key on" engine off, the rear wheel stopped with the front brake lever pulled.  Rear brake pedal and front brake lever independently illuminate the rear brake light.    SO that checked out.

I dust off the yellow GS911 unit that's been in my tool box for years and check for error codes.  The code number was 23953 and read: Front Wheel Speed Sensor : Signal implausible (extrapolation).  Seems weird to me.

Is it possible that the ECU with a Gen 2 FD wants to see the original '07 front wheel's speed ring reinstalled instead of the '05 wheel which worked with a Gen1 FD?  Could it be the speed ring that is causing the error code and brake failure light on the dash?

Joe

Morning Joe

Did you swap the ABS tone ring (notched ring) from your 07 wheel to the 05 wheel?  The tone ring notch count is different. That different tone ring notch count will definitely put the dash light on as well as prevent proper ABS function. 

If you swap tone rings do not remove the brake rotor bolts cold, heat the wheel casting to about 175°f first. If you remove the bolts cold you can pull the internal threads out of the alloy wheel. To re-use the bolts you need to clean the bolt threads & hole threads then use a little Lock-Tite (most use Blue 242 Lock-Tite so they will be easier to take apart later).

Because the holes in the wheel are blind you should put a little (not a lot) of Lock-Tite on the threads in the wheel holes. If you only put the Lock-Tite on the bolt threads then the pressure buildup inside the holes due to blind holes can push the Lock-Tite back out off of the bolt threads as the bolts are screwed in.  

Be very careful in removing/installing the front wheel as it is very easy to damage the ABS wheel speed sensor (personally I usually unbolt it & move it away from the wheel tone ring  a little before removing the wheel).

CoarsegoldKid

Very good.  Thank you D.R.  No, I did not swap out the tone rings.  I will do so as you say or just buy a new tire for the 07 wheel and put it back on the 07 bike.  Without your description of the procedure I would have likely ruined the wheels.

So again Thank You.

Joe

CoarsegoldKid

I have changed the wheels back to their respective model years.  Of course it worked out fine.  I should have checked the speed ring as it certainly was different between the two years.

• Like 1