IGNORED

R1150RT Keeping the rain off

RandallBT

Greetings, newbie here! 

I live on my boat, at a marina, which means I need a really good cover for my R1150RT. It HAS to be robust, and it must fit with all 3 touring cases mounted.Must have decent elastic or drawstring to keep the wind from taking it away.

Can't seem to find one that shows it fitting with the cases. Anyone have a suggestion?

I can only say with the bike on the center stand and covered the bike should be tied down so it doesn't blow over.  Good luck finding a cover.  Look into a Dowco Guardian cover.

Google  "hard shell cover for motorcycle".  There are several out there, from $200 to $1K.  Someone makes a nice hard shell that is split in the middle.  You bolt down the front part and drive your bike into it and close and lock it.  No one can tell if there is anything in it or not.  Plus, bolted down gives it good wind resistance.  Weather protection, some security, quick to enter/leave.  But. in a marina, you would need permission to install it.

I used to keep my bike covered at a marina - the advice about the center stand is valid: a good sidewind even uncovered can take a bike off the centerstand, and under a cover it's basically a sail. If you have a prevailing wind, park using the sidestand leeward. Nelson Rigg and Dowco do both market good waterproof covers. Back in the day I had a BMW branded one that held up very well and fit over all the luggage. It was grey with a big logo on the front, so doesn't match the current version, but BMW does still seem to offer it. Check this page here:

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/bmw-all-weather-motorcycle-cover-1

$150 seems pretty reasonable. Googling the listed part number shows it for sale lots of places including ebay for $125.

+1 on the grey BMW cover with the logo.  I got one new with my 96 and I'm still using it today with my 2018.  Has a soft surface for the windscreen and fits perfectly over the rear bags.  My only question about covering in really foggy salt water areas is won't a cover also develop water under the cover and add to corrosion?  I mean a rain cover is meant to protect against rain.  Pea fog is a whole nuther animal.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I'd love to have one of those garage tent things, but the Dockmaster won't let me reserve a parking space for myself. Good chance something like that may blow away, too. Also, things that may last in other regions, have a habit of deteriorating quickly when exposed to Florida tropical sun all year round and salt air. I did settle on a cover though. I was at the Harley dealer and noticed they had covers now that don't have HD logos all over them. They let me take a few sizes out of the box for fitting. This one is the Medium-Black. $149. As you can see, it's a good snug fit, has the soft backing for the windshield, allows good airflow from under but also vents on top, and is an excellent UV proof, tough polyester. Had a similar one for my Harley for years. The mangroves give me pretty good wind protection, and yes, she's listing to leeward!

I guess we'll see how it holds up to marina life! 

Bike Cover.jpg

On 10/18/2023 at 1:22 AM, Red said:

My only question about covering in really foggy salt water areas is won't a cover also develop water under the cover and add to corrosion?  I mean a rain cover is meant to protect against rain.  Pea fog is a whole nuther animal.

Hey Red,

Fortunately we don't get much fog here, but we do get some pretty darn serious morning dew! Can soak everything! Not as salty, so that's a good thing. But you don't want a cover that goes down to the ground. That traps it and keeps things wet, i.e. don't mind if the bike gets a bit wet as long as it can dry quickly.