IGNORED

Help! Dead Wethead!

BABABeemer

I recently acquired a 2016 RTP at auction. It was advertised with no key so I ordered one from BMW. Meanwhile, I discovered a spare key in the storage compartment. I tried turning on the ignition and it is totally dead. If it is an unchipped key won’t a dash light come on? The bike has a new battery and the fuses show continuity with an ohm meter. When I installed the battery, there didn’t seem to be any parasitic draw when I connected the negative terminal. Now I’m at a loss. Any ideas? TIA.

I guess the key has a dead chip. I was expecting to at least see a dash light to come on. BMW’s have a pretty bulletproof security system.

I don’t know. Under the seat on a standard RT are 3 fuses. Two mounted on the seat bracket and a bib one next to the ECU, or whatever it is called. Are they there? Tested good. 
On the older RTs if the chip could not be read by the antenna, it would display EWA or something. But it would display something. I think in the conversion from RTP duty to civilian, someone either cut some wires or unplugged something. 

6 hours ago, Bernie said:

I don’t know. Under the seat on a standard RT are 3 fuses. Two mounted on the seat bracket and a bib one next to the ECU, or whatever it is called. Are they there? Tested good. 
On the older RTs if the chip could not be read by the antenna, it would display EWA or something. But it would display something. I think in the conversion from RTP duty to civilian, someone either cut some wires or unplugged something. 

• Members
  • Joined Aug 2003

Problem solved! I went to Sierra BMW and talked to Chris. He was kind enough to show me one of their RTPs that was in for service. I immediately noticed that it had a cable hooked up to the ignition switch that was missing on mine! Chris took the time to unhook the cable so I could see what connector to look for. When I got home I remembered that when I received the bike, that cable had been disconnected and laying near where the radio rack was. I had taped it over and hidden it away. As soon as I hooked up that cable in the hidden receptacle, everything came on with the key! Thanks for all your input! 

• Like 1