IGNORED

TLC For Exhaust Manifolds

PopPop

Seeking tips from owners who've successfully refreshed the finish to RT's corroded exhaust. Chemicals? Abrasives?

Not too concerned with discoloration but would like to eliminate the corrosion without making the pipes even more susceptible to rust. 

Thanks,

Clay

20231011_131107.jpg

41 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

Jet-Hot, maybe??

https://www.jet-hot.com/motorcycle

image.thumb.png.776e17d14c92b2b0be3a4c08eec871fb.png

Thanks. Agree, they're great. And have a  facility near me. A little pricey for my bargain bike though. 

A few years ago they quoted a couple finishes for a set of mid-pipes/slip-ons.

Classic Polish was over $600 and more than $900 for Titanium Top Coat (with me dropping off & picking up).

Pop- I used some Wenol (blue tube) metal polish and a blue non scratch 3M Scotch Brite pad and cleaned up the headers on my 07 1200RT. LOTS of rubbing but I think they came out pretty nice. When I take the tupperware off my 96 1100RT I think Im gonna clean up the pipes on that old girl as well. See before and after pics. DaveIMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.6772362b933dcb707650e5c089046f4b.jpegIMG_3569.thumb.jpeg.36aeaf29ca7c87321e35833be829509a.jpeg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dave P said:

Pop- I used some Wenol (blue tube) metal polish and a blue non scratch 3M Scotch Brite pad and cleaned up the headers on my 07 1200RT. LOTS of rubbing but I think they came out pretty nice. When I take the tupperware off my 96 1100RT I think Im gonna clean up the pipes on that old girl as well. See before and after pics. DaveIMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.6772362b933dcb707650e5c089046f4b.jpegIMG_3569.thumb.jpeg.36aeaf29ca7c87321e35833be829509a.jpeg

Wow! Never heard of Wenol till now. Thanks, I'll give it a try!

We used to get it at Williams Sonoma, German stuff. You can get a nice buzz from it if you're in a small room! Ha!

BTW, I was painting the front engine cover and was pulling that oil cooler line out of the way with the zip tie.

those pipes look kinda rusty, my 1100 pipe's probably look exactly like yours at that connection point. Dont think the metal polish will fix that. Probably do ok on the round coming off the engine. Maybe some wire brush on a drill will be needed on that rusty spot or naval jelly?  D

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

When last washing the RT, I used a 0000 steel wool pad and Bartender's Friend to freshen up (not polish) the pipes.  15 minutes into it, I thought "WTFC what these look like/" and quit.

• Plus 1 1
29 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

When last washing the RT, I used a 0000 steel wool pad and Bartender's Friend to freshen up (not polish) the pipes.  15 minutes into it, I thought "WTFC what these look like/" and quit.

Morning John

You don't want to use STEELwool as that embeds micro ferrous particles in the stainless steel pipe causing more future issues.  

I know you quit part way into it so this is more for future readers.  

• Like 1

Jet Coat is the way to go for sure but not cheap.   I am about as OCD as they come and have tried to keep my pipes in pretty nice condition.  Problem is even if I get them like new they quickly get blued again.  So I pretty much have decided to keep them clean but the bluing is just a part of owning a BMW motorcycle.   I do like the Jet Coat pipes a lot though! 

• Like 1

Ceramic coating done in Portland, OR for about $135 last June.  Ceramic coat is supposed to lower the head pipes temperature and I was skeptical but I actually think it works, maybe.

CIMG1109.thumb.jpeg.fa3d100c046c66125b41366b72100327.jpeg

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Ceramic coating done in Portland, OR for about $135 last June.  Ceramic coat is supposed to lower the head pipes temperature and I was skeptical but I actually think it works, maybe.

Holy smokes, that's nice. Definitely worth looking at seeing if someone does it around here at that price.

On 10/13/2023 at 6:54 PM, JamesW said:

On 10/13/2023 at 6:54 PM, JamesW said:

Would love to see a photo of the other side to see how far back the coating is applied.  Very nice.  I know the Jet Coat also greatly reduces heat. 

Ceramic coating was done by Finish Line Ceramic Coatings, Milwaukie, OR with phone # (503)659-4278.  You can call them and ask your question they are really good folks.  For me the most expensive part was UPS shipping cost from my location to Portland from my location about 170 miles southwest which was about $60 both ways because of the size of the shipping container needed.  I could have driven but I avoid Portland if at all possible.  Portland is NOT any longer at all to my liking since virtually all drugs are now legal in Oregon and Portland is no longer a safe place at all.  This is NOT the Oregon I fondly recall.  The Portland Police Bureau has had many officers just quit and I can see why.  

As to how it looks from the other side of the bike it is only the head pipes that are coated.  I have a Dominator muffler so there isn't much to see from the other side as the stainless interconnection pipe to the muffler attaches to the head pipe at the same spot where the OEM muffler/cat attached just after the two head pipes join together and you can't see this junction from the left side of the bike anyway.  All you can see is the short stainless pipe before it connects to the muffler.  This is an older picture before I installed new YSS shocks otherwise it is un-changed in appearance.6E34189D-C0EC-4999-BB74-908913BF7CC6.thumb.jpeg.87d4051ddfb42defaad1d39c2a482efa.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi BABABeemer,  Pipes look nice but I've read somewhere on the internet so maybe I believe about 40% that being that black has something to do with preventing damage from heat on objects close to a heat source that being head pipes in my case.  I have a hard time believing this but maybe true?  Potential heat damage to the RSL lowers has always been my concern and I've seen this damage to oilheads on more than one occasion.  Never had the issue on my dear departed R100RT.

Per Google:

A dull or black surface emits more heat energy than a polished or white surface even when both are at the same temperature.

A Crookes radiometer (or light mill) is a good demo of this.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer#:~:text=The Crookes radiometer (also known,mounted on a spindle inside.

To keep the heat away from the tupperware, what about just wrapping the headers.  Done properly it looks good, can be a DIY project (doesn't cost much), and is very effective at getting the heat sent towards the tailpipe even while sitting still in traffic.  It's the fix for notoriously hot (high heat on the rider) running bikes (some K1200 models and some Honda ST1100 &1300's I've heard).

• Like 1

Wrapping headers can have drawbacks. It holds moisture and can promote rust. By can, I mean it does. It also starts to look a little ratty after a while, need to decide if the look is worth the benefit. If one decides it is no longer wanted, when removed it will reveal staining and some damage to the pipe that will be very hard to repair. 

It does have benefits, but the drawbacks need to be measured.

• Plus 1 1