IGNORED

Oil type

joeb

Morn all. Heading to the Smokys in 2 weeks and ready to change the oil. Got to wondering, can auto oil be used in the GS if it meets or exceeds the BMW requirements? My understanding ( such as it is ) is that the reason for " motorcycle " oil is that some bikes use the engine oil for lubricating drive train components and that puts a higher strain on the oil, but our Boxer engined bikes don't do that. Is my understanding correct , and , is motorcycle specific oil required ?

As always thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

Not required if you have a 2012 or older bike with a dry clutch. BMW changed to an oil bath clutch on the GS in 2014 and these bikes must use a motorcycle rated oil.

50 minutes ago, joeb said:

Morn all. Heading to the Smokys in 2 weeks and ready to change the oil. Got to wondering, can auto oil be used in the GS if it meets or exceeds the BMW requirements? My understanding ( such as it is ) is that the reason for " motorcycle " oil is that some bikes use the engine oil for lubricating drive train components and that puts a higher strain on the oil, but our Boxer engined bikes don't do that. Is my understanding correct , and , is motorcycle specific oil required ?

As always thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

Morning joeb

Got to wondering, can auto oil be used in the GS if it meets or exceeds the BMW requirements?--  Yes, but the important part of that phrase is  "meets or exceeds the BMW requirements".  

If this is for your 09 r1200 GS then you need to be sure it does meet the BMW specs. Especially if using modern automobile oil as most current auto oil is too low a of a viscosity & doesn't have enough ZDDP in it. 

There are some on-the-shelf motor oils that will work just fine but a lot that won't so you need to do the research to be sure that what you want to use does in fact meet the BMW specs (or very close to it anyhow).

Kinda figured there would be more than a simple answer. According to my riders manual,  which I don't have in front of me at the moment , so for this discussion I will use generalizations, the info is sparse. It just says must meet a specific letter designation.  Is that all that must be considered?  Are there issues that must be considered when using motorcycle specific oil ? I have in the past used Mobile 1 V twin oil. Any suggestions for appropriate oil ? Wanna keep my engine happy. Thank you

53 minutes ago, joeb said:

Kinda figured there would be more than a simple answer. According to my riders manual,  which I don't have in front of me at the moment , so for this discussion I will use generalizations, the info is sparse. It just says must meet a specific letter designation.  Is that all that must be considered?  Are there issues that must be considered when using motorcycle specific oil ? I have in the past used Mobile 1 V twin oil. Any suggestions for appropriate oil ? Wanna keep my engine happy. Thank you

Afternoon joeb

If you are working on a 2009 1200GS then Mobile 1 V twin oil is a very good choice. If something newer then we need to know what it is?

ALWAYS tell us what you are working on if you want the best answers.